Thread: just got my 1 mazda. Questions for the types of engine and transmission oil

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default just got my 1 mazda. Questions for the types of engine and transmission oil

Hi everyone!
    Today I have got my 1 mazda in my entire life, it is 2012 mazda 3 sedan, 2.0l engine, non sky active, 5 speed automatic, mileage is 44000 km,Vancouver, BC.
    Before I have had lots of toyotas, volvo, and VW.
    My previous car was 2009 toyota matrix, so please advice me the following
    1.I still have brand new toyota engine oil 5w20, the description is fully matched with the mazda reqirements, can I use it to change my oil on my mazda?Also, how many litres do I need for that?

2. I have checked my transmission fluid and found it brownish, smell is ok. But I would like to change it. The question is what atf to use if I want to do the partitial flush, cause I dont know which oil the previous owner used. Can I mix any atf oil Or you reccomend to do the compleate change with the filter?What is reccomended atf you would advice?
    Thank you all in advance, I am sure If I had time I would eventually find all the info on this forum, but I have the only day off tomorrow and would like to do the maintance right away. I always do when I get a new used vehicle.
    And yes, I really like my mazda!)
    Cheers!

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: just got my 1 mazda. Questions for the types of engine and transmission oil

5w-20 oil should be fine. The cap probably says either 5-20 or 0-20.

The amount of oil when changing the filter as well is 4.2L

Transmission fluid is Mazda M5 fluid.
    Transmission fluid drop and fill is just a touch over 3L. Most of the dealers don't even change the transmission fluid filter unless requested.

Current: 2012 Mazdaspeed3 Tech CWP
    Mods to Date:
    Custom Halo headlights, DRL delete, Kenwood DNX890HD, Kenwood KFC-3009 x2(12"), Kenwood 1800Watt Amp, LED interior lights, LED switchbacks, LED fogs.
    Previous:2012 Mazda 3 Sky-GS in CWP, 2012 16W Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2010 CWP Mazda 3 GT Hatchback SOLD, 2009 Metropolitan Grey Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2007 Carbon Grey Mica Mazda 3 GS Hatch SOLD

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: just got my 1 mazda. Questions for the types of engine and transmission oil

a Mazda 1 perfect!

as for a tranny oil change you buy lots and drain it manually and keep adding more till its as pink as a you know what.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For transmission fluid, go to a synthetic as the Mazda m5 fluid is of rather poor quality. A great choice is Petro Canada Duradrive (full synthetic, readily available at any Petro Canada gas station). I do one drain and fill a year with it and it works great