Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Battery, spark plugs or something else

Hi guys,

I am a profane in terms of car mechanics so I thought I would ask some of you maybe you can help me.

My problem is that if I stop the car and try to start the engine again after 2 seconds the car won't start. I'll have to try again after 1-2 minutes. On the other hand yesterday was a little cold and the engine did not start when I turned the key the first time. Is it a battery problem, a spark plug or maybe something else? Please help.

Thank you so much.

Gabriel

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Battery, spark plugs or something else

Narrow it down. Does it make any sound during the failed attempt? Hard to assist as it could be anything.

It could be as simple as a loose battery connection. Try tightening the clamps on the battery post.
    |-----> Roof Rack <-----| Thule Base Rack - Rocky Mounts Bike Tray - Thule Ski Holder
    2007 GT Sedan 5spd CWP | Rays Mazdaspeed Wheels | Tri-Point Engineering Rear Swaybar
    SPC Camber Links | Bilstein Coilovers | Tint | LED Brake

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw that you have a 2010. If you are still on the original battery then you will need a new one.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by baymoe View Post
    Narrow it down. Does it make any sound during the failed attempt? Hard to assist as it could be anything.

It could be as simple as a loose battery connection. Try tightening the clamps on the battery post.
    I second this . I have a 2010 and I just changed mine because it was very very weak. Now when i turn the car on, totally different feeling. Although it seems a few people on here have had issues with the purge valve as do i. $100 fix in that case.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@woodyliano so.. why are you turning off the car and trying to start it after 2 seconds? is the car warm? or is it cold?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Booter22 View Post
    @woodyliano so.. why are you turning off the car and trying to start it after 2 seconds? is the car warm? or is it cold?
    Sometimes when I am waiting for a very long traffic light I turn the car off. But I am not doing this anymore now. The car is warm.

Thank you so much to all of you guys. As you all say, I might have to change the battery.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by baymoe View Post

Hi,

I hear no particular sound when it happens. Just the regular sound when the car is not starting.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woodyliano View Post
    Sometimes when I am waiting for a very long traffic light I turn the car off. But I am not doing this anymore now. The car is warm.

Thank you so much to all of you guys. As you all say, I might have to change the battery.
    ... you could leave the car to idle and waste fuel.. or add wear and tear to the starter. battery load and so on.. seems you should just let it run. I replaced the battery in my 2010 in 2014 and im sure im going to need to do my fiancés this year or in the spring.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

When you say it won't start... does it crank? Or just click? Do the lights dim? Or nothing?
    2008 Carbon Gray GT Sedan 5 Speed

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Crow View Post
    When you say it won't start... does it crank? Or just click? Do the lights dim? Or nothing?

Yes it cranks not just clicks and all lights are working. Is just that the engine does not start.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd start looking at replacing plugs, PCV valve, engine air filter and cleaning the MAF sensor. You could have low fuel pressure, too. See if you can have that checked.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by woodyliano View Post
    Yes it cranks not just clicks and all lights are working. Is just that the engine does not start.
    Here is what I understand are the symptoms; Starts good most times, but after shutting it off and starting it warm a few minutes later it won't (sometimes). Turns over okay with no clicking and lights are bright...I would say your battery is fine and the problem is the Purge Solenoid valve...Pretty common issue and definitely all the signs are there.

I hope you plan on not continuing as you stated, shutting the car off at lights. It'll save you nothing and it will wear certain things prematurely aswell, and is also a safety issue.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post

I hope you plan on not continuing as you stated, shutting the car off at lights. It'll save you nothing and it will wear certain things prematurely aswell, and is also a safety issue.

_3
    A bunch of new cars do this tho but I'd assume it's not meant for older cars lol. My brothers 2015 F150 shuts off by itself at red lights unless there's a heavy load on the system (like ac)

Ride
    E92 335i
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,430 Posts
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by soccerboy1491 View Post
    A bunch of new cars do this tho but I'd assume it's not meant for older cars lol. My brothers 2015 F150 shuts off by itself at red lights unless there's a heavy load on the system (like ac)
    New cars that do this are engineered to do so. Whole different story. The proper procedures are taken and components used. It's not as simple as duplicating it manually on older cars not meant to do it by just turning the key on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    Here is what I understand are the symptoms; Starts good most times, but after shutting it off and starting it warm a few minutes later it won't (sometimes). Turns over okay with no clicking and lights are bright...I would say your battery is fine and the problem is the Purge Solenoid valve...Pretty common issue and definitely all the signs are there.

_3
    OP, just follow this advice here and you should be good

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guys thank you so much for all your answers. There are definitely some very good points there. I will never shut off the care at traffic lights. Thank you again.