Thread: First Time Car Buyer - Help

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question First Time Car Buyer - Help

Hi everyone - I'm looking into buying a car soon and I have no experience what-so-ever in this field. I have never even been inside a dealership haha. Just last month, I didn't even know what mileage was

Anyways, I was wondering if you guys can give me some advice? I'm looking at the 2015/2016 Mazda 3 GX, with navigation (I don't really know what the difference is?). Using the build-and-price feature on their website, the total comes to around $24,752.37 if it's a cash purchase. I'm not sure if I want to buy it new or used, but I'm definitely financing (I see they currently offer 36 month 0% financing). I've been saving a bit but can not afford to pay cash upfront as I'm still a student.

If I'm buying a new car, I was wondering which dealers are best to go to? and what price I should aim for? Also, any other advice that would help with this process

If I'm buying a used car, I want one thats relatively new. Maybe a used 2015 Mazda 3 GX? What price should I be looking for? I see a lot of them for around $19,000-$20,000 + tax ($21,000-$22,000) at around 15,000km, how much lower can the price fall? I wonder if it is worth it buying used when it's only $2,000 cheaper. Plus, the financing rate is really high. I see some of them going at 6.9% A.P.R (and I have no idea what A.P.R means ).

I see that the car comes with cloth seats. I want to switch that out with leather seats because it'll be easier to clean and my brother (who will also be using the car) is allergic to dust. I was wondering if the car dealer will be able to do that or I have to find someone else. If so, where would be a good place to do that and how much will that be? I see in some other people ordering a set online and doing it themselves but I'm a noobie so, probably not that best idea?

Sorry, lots of questions but I hear lots of scary stories about first-time car purchases. I just want everything to go smoothly. I SUPER excited but extremely nervous as well.

THANKS,

Jnye

Thanks
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: First Time Car Buyer - Help

For a hassle free experience you came to the right place! Jeff at Mazda of Toronto is pretty much the go to guy for anything relating to Mazda sales. He is 100% honest and will give u best price being a sponsor for us on TM3. PM him here http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/me...30-Jeff-TheBiz @Jeff-TheBiz Or visit him at Mazda of Toronto
    Last edited by Canadianbacon; 01-17-2016 at 12:01 PM.
    2010 GT MZ3 2.5 MSDS Headers, Custom Tune, CS SRI,CS Full CBE,CS LED conversion, 3K HID fogs, 15%Tints,Koni Str.T H&R Sport Lowering Springs, Speed3 Rims, duel 12''MTX subs, Vinyl Wrap Roof,Mirrors,Spoiler

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Normally I would tell you to buy a used car since you're student, but if you're not willing to drive a beater like most kids and you can actually afford the payments then buy new if the used car interest rates (APR) are way higher. High interest rates = throwing your money away. (Of course, paying the transportation fees/etc on a new car is also throwing your money away, but that's a different story).

Just make sure you can also afford the likely expensive insurance on a new/financed car on top of the payments...
    Last edited by Cab0oze; 01-17-2016 at 01:18 PM.
    Canada gave us rust and DRL. Thanks for nothing Canada!

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks! I will check Jeff out!

Also, I'm pretty good finance-wise. I've been working since high-school and now I'm nearing the end of my undergraduate degree, that's why I thought it was time to start investing in a car.

I've also looked into the insurance (I'm thinking TD), IT IS EXPENSIVE. That's why I wanted advice here so I can get the best price and save as much money as possible. I know most students buy old cars but I want to skip that step and invest directly in a car that I can see myself driving for the next couple of years.

Are the transportation fees included in the price they list on their website?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I suggest researching a lot of and try talking to knowledgeable car owners in person. They will be able to give you a lot of valuable experience about different models of cars and basic breakdown of specs and price-points.

Another huge issue when you're younger, is actually insurnace shopping. Depending on your experience, tickets, location, and gender, etc. It would hugely affect the premium you would be paying.
    2010 Mazda 3 GT Sedan - Graphite Mica

| Enkei Raijin+Michelin PSS | Rays lug nuts | RoadMagnet+Koni Yellow | SPC Cam.Arm | CS F Strut bar+MidBrace | JBR RSB | CS SRI+AirBox | Racing Beat Exhaust | Amsoil Signature Series 0W20&ATF | CS LED Light kit | CS LED DRL | Corksport LED fogs | Smoked Head & Tail Lights | CS LED 3rd brake | LED Projector Reverse light | FormulaOne Pinnacle series tints | Mazda3 Weathertech Floorliner & Trunkliner | Scuff Plates | Window Visors | OEM Side Skirts | Bosch Icon | CS Tow Plate | CS Hood Dampers |

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jnye View Post
    Thanks! I will check Jeff out!

Also, I'm pretty good finance-wise. I've been working since high-school and now I'm nearing the end of my undergraduate degree, that's why I thought it was time to start investing in a car.

I've also looked into the insurance (I'm thinking TD), IT IS EXPENSIVE. That's why I wanted advice here so I can get the best price and save as much money as possible. I know most students buy old cars but I want to skip that step and invest directly in a car that I can see myself driving for the next couple of years.

Are the transportation fees included in the price they list on their website?
    A car is not an "investment". Lol.

But if you want to buy new Jeff or @CarLadyLisa can help you.

You probably want to stay away from all the extra warranty packages they throw at you if you buy new. If so choose one or two but not all.

If I were you, I'd buy a used low to medium mileage 2010-11 GX, GS or GT for at least half the price and save some of your hard earned money since you mentioned you "a couple of years." You will get at least a good couple of years with this option. This would make you pretty good finance wise in my eyes anyway.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    A car is not an "investment". Lol.

But if you want to buy new Jeff or @CarLadyLisa can help you.

You probably want to stay away from all the extra warranty packages they throw at you if you buy new. If so choose one or two but not all.

If I were you, I'd buy a used low to medium mileage 2010-11 GX, GS or GT for at least half the price and save some of your hard earned money since you mentioned you "a couple of years." You will get at least a good couple of years with this option. This would make you pretty good finance wise in my eyes anyway.
    Financial investment. No because car depreciates. but investment in terms of going around, having fun, being an "adult", getting to places you want to go to hassle free, then yes lol.

I agree. I never bought a car from Jeff but I called him and was helpful and there was no pressure at all. I agree to buy a used car for those years like Jackal said. Bought a 2012 GX with 21XXX km two years ago and no problems since then. Good luck with the purchase

Ride
    RAM 1500 - 2017
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For insurance, use a tool like Kanetix or find an insurance broker. Then you'll be able to get quotes from multiple insurance companies and you only need to fill out the form once.

Also, do NOT buy a used 2016/15/14 or maybe even 13. If it's a brand new car and it's being sold as "used" then there's a reason the original owner got rid of it. Avoid loaners and test drive vehicles as well.
    Last edited by m_bisson; 01-17-2016 at 03:25 PM.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys!

And I meant invest as instead of putting my money towards an old car, I want to use that money towards a car that I can drive a few years. I'm hesitant in buying an old car because I'm not really a car person, I don't really know how to identify problems when they occur. That's why I was thinking, instead of buying an old car (like a normal student), I'm want to take that money and put it directly towards a new car One that wouldn't break down on me (that's what I'm most afraid of when buying a used car) and one that I can drive for a long time.

I admit, the prices for the older ones are tempting.. but I'm worried it'll need lots of maintenance and repairs, and after a while it'll add up? I've never had a car before, so I'm not sure how long those will last. For example, if it's only going to last 2/3 years, I would rather buy a brand new one even if it only lasts me 5 year (which it should not? as it is a new car?) because I would enjoy having a new car more.

I've done some research on the types of cars. The other one I was considering was the Hyundai Elantra. They're around the same price, but if I'm financing, Mazda is cheaper. I saw they currently have $3,500 in price adjustments, but that's only for cash purchases (which I do not have). If I choose to finance, it's only $1000 in price adjustments. The total will add up to be around $26,300 including taxes. They have 0% financing for 84 months, though I don't really care about how much I need to pay per month, it's the final amount that matters

They have the Hyundai L Manual for only $11988 (with $5,500 price adjustments included) but I can't drive manual So all the ones I've mentioned so far, are for the automatic....... versions? Lol, sorry if I'm not saying it right.

Which reminds me..... how long do these cars last? I'll mostly use it to get to work (10.4km one way) and occasionally when I go out. Yes, I am still a student but I'm on co-op for the next 8 months

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's a good point. The used cars I was looking at were demos though? So it shouldn't be a problem?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i bought a brand new car in 2011. i am financially stable and had paid it off. if i could go back i would shop around for a used car.use that save up money and buy beater car.get experience on taking care of it.once your older and wiser on car maintenance etc then get a new one

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also you you can learn from this forum or online forum on how to and practice on that old car

Ride
    RAM 1500 - 2017
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that's a good point. The used cars I was looking at were demos though? So it shouldn't be a problem?
    Demos = test drive vehicles.

These are the cars that people floor the gas pedal in, slam on the brakes in, test out the "handling" in... Etc...

Stay away.

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default First Time Car Buyer - Help

Thanks guys!

And I meant invest as instead of putting my money towards an old car, I want to use that money towards a car that I can drive a few years. I'm hesitant in buying an old car because I'm not really a car person, I don't really know how to identify problems when they occur. That's why I was thinking, instead of buying an old car (like a normal student), I'm want to take that money and put it directly towards a new car One that wouldn't break down on me (that's what I'm most afraid of when buying a used car) and one that I can drive for a long time.

I admit, the prices for the older ones are tempting.. but I'm worried it'll need lots of maintenance and repairs, and after a while it'll add up? I've never had a car before, so I'm not sure how long those will last. For example, if it's only going to last 2/3 years, I would rather buy a brand new one even if it only lasts me 5 year (which it should not? as it is a new car?) because I would enjoy having a new car more.

I've done some research on the types of cars. The other one I was considering was the Hyundai Elantra. They're around the same price, but if I'm financing, Mazda is cheaper. I saw they currently have $3,500 in price adjustments, but that's only for cash purchases (which I do not have). If I choose to finance, it's only $1000 in price adjustments. The total will add up to be around $26,300 including taxes. They have 0% financing for 84 months, though I don't really care about how much I need to pay per month, it's the final amount that matters

They have the Hyundai L Manual for only $11988 (with $5,500 price adjustments included) but I can't drive manual So all the ones I've mentioned so far, are for the automatic....... versions? Lol, sorry if I'm not saying it right.

Which reminds me..... how long do these cars last? I'll mostly use it to get to work (10.4km one way) and occasionally when I go out. Yes, I am still a student but I'm on co-op for the next 8 months
    I think you are overestimating regular maintenance costs. Also maintenance costs at a private shop vs a dealership is different.

So things to keep in mind regarding costs of a new or used car:
    1) cost of regular maintenance for the vehicle
    2) cost of when a problem occurs
    3) maintenance costs at a private shop vs a dealership
    4) historical problems of that year of the vehicle

If you do some homework and find out some of these you will find out if buying new or used is the right thing to do. Read and search on this forum and ask your parents and friends. This is a big decision.

To answer your question of how long these cars can last:
    How many kilometer's on your MAZDA 3
    http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...ad.php?t=47897
    Last edited by Jackal; 01-17-2016 at 05:16 PM.

Resident Deal Provider, UnHaggle Rep, CarCostCanada, EasyCarDiscount
    Ride
    2017 CX-5 GT w/ Tech
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canadianbacon View Post
    For a hassle free experience you came to the right place! Jeff at Mazda of Toronto is pretty much the go to guy for anything relating to Mazda sales. He is 100% honest and will give u best price being a sponsor for us on TM3. PM him here http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/me...30-Jeff-TheBiz @Jeff-TheBiz Or visit him at Mazda of Toronto
    Thanx for the kind words bacon..

If it is a new Mazda3 you want.. lemme know. I can be reached by pm.. or for a faster reponse shoot me an email. Jeff@Jeff-TheBiz.com
    Damn you photobucket.....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    I think you are overestimating regular maintenance costs. Also maintenance costs at a private shop vs a dealership is different.

So things to keep in mind regarding costs of a new or used car:
    1) cost of regular maintenance for the vehicle
    2) cost of when a problem occurs
    3) maintenance costs at a private shop vs a dealership
    4) historical problems of that year of the vehicle

If you do some homework and find out some of these you will find out if buying new or used is the right thing to do. Read and search on this forum and ask your parents and friends. This is a big decision.
    This, I think you're overestimating mx costs

I bought my mazdaspeed3 when it had two years of warranty left (i.e. a 3 year old car). This saved me about 15k $ compared to buying new. I've been out of warranty for 3 years, and aside from spending money on mods and normal wear items (tires/oil changes/brakes) I have spent a grand total of $120 in repairs, and it was tracking the car that led me to that repair.

PS - learn how to drive manual. It saves you money and it's way more fun. I learned when I bought my speed3, and it was the best decision I ever made.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't overlook the manual transmissions. Just because you can't drive one now doesn't mean that you cannot learn. My girlfriend bought her car without ever driving a manual before and she learned in one night in a parking lot. Learning on a new car is much easier than older cars. With most new cars, you just let the clutch out slowly and the car will get going. Most novices can pick it up in no time and it is like riding a bike, you never really forget once you learn.

The nice thing about manuals is that it makes you a better driver. You are more attentive and have much better control over the car (especially in snow!). You aren't then limited to car selections, because it wouldn't matter if it is automatic or manual.

The other bonus is that once you learn to drive manual, you can pretty much drive anything after. So if there is ever an emergency, you can jump into a tractor, a transport truck, anything pretty much, and be able to drive it using the same principals. Great thing to know!

Plus manuals are usually $1000-2000 cheaper than the automatic versions of the same car.

As for how long cars last, that all comes down to how well you treat it. If you treat it well, 10 years isn't hard to get at all. The milestone maintenances usually come around 75,000-100,000kms and that might cost you up to $1000-1500, but that is just the cost of ownership. Most cars should run you around $600/year in oil changes and regular maintenance. This is what I budget for personally, but you could likely say $1000 safely and you would be fine.

When you buy a new car, it is good to get a maintenance schedule with the prices for the services so that you can plan ahead. The more information you get, the better it is to be proactive and be prepared rather than have an expensive maintenance creep up on you when you cannot afford it!
    "A car is just fast enough when you stand in front of it in the morning and are afraid to unlock it" -Walter Rohrl

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
    Demos = test drive vehicles.

These are the cars that people floor the gas pedal in...
    while the engine is cold and has not reached its operating temperature.