Thread: I think I've found the one!

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default I think I've found the one!

I'm on the hunt for a pre-owned 5-door 2012+ Mazda3 Sport. I'm not picky about the powertrain. Yes, the Skyactiv is probably the better choice on paper, but I'm concerned about the longevity/upkeep of direct injection/high compression ratio.

I found a beautiful, bright red 5-door GS at NewRoads in Newmarket, ON. The price is right, mileage is great (70,000km)… everything looks good except for ONE problem. I found a rust spot forming on the pillar of the rear daylight opening. I also found a few rust spots forming underneath the rear windshield. Looks like it's from moisture buildup. Mazda should be able fix this since the vehicle is still covered by warranty until November 2016. Is there any way for the spots under the rear windshield to be fixed permanently? If I end up with this car, I'll be taking it to Krown every fall!

Top left

This scares me since we all know how the first generation Mazda3's held up. Has anybody had any issues with their second gen Mazda3s?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: I think I've found the one!

Wow that's actually shocking me since it's only a 2012... I have a 2010 and the body is rust free. Generally, (from what I've been told anyway) the Gen 1 cars had rust issues due to quality control problems with the metal supplier Mazda used, but this supplier was not used for Gen 2. That rust more than likely I would bet is a result from poor owner maintainence, maybe it's yet again poor quality control but I doubt that. You would be amazed at the general lack of care most people take of their cars

Ride
    '98 BMW 750iL
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have that exact car with 60k on it no noticeable rust on it.

Ride
    1993 Mazda Miata
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Only way to know for sure is for the dealer to put in a warranty claim to Mazda. The only thing is...I see a cracks in the paint. Looks like an external force. Corrosion/perforation warranty is from underneath. So I would count on it. You could perhaps have it touched up by a body shop for a minimal cost if you love the rest of the car (and price).

Correct me if I'm wrong here....I'm pretty sure the window channels can be replaced. I'm sure I've seen a member on her post about it.

Other option is to pay a little more for a car that doesn't have these things.

Ride
    '98 BMW 750iL
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good eye @CarLadyLisa, didn't notice that viewing on my phone. The rear spots definitely look like external impacts which have then started to rust, which makes them less likely to be covered. The Velocity Red paint is a multi-stage paint which can be tricky to match properly, and probably needs the whole hatch to be repainted to look right.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Aitch For This Useful Post:

shift8 (02-09-2016)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I continued my search this week and found a dark grey 2013 Skyactiv GS with 12,000 km more than the red GX I was looking at. It's listed at only $1,250 more. $12,250 vs $13,500. The body is in immaculate condition and from the looks of it, mostly highway driven. It's CPO and has a decent amount of tread on the tires and the brakes seem pretty healthy. From my understanding all 2013+ models come with a 96 month corrosion warranty! I'd be covered until January 2021! I'm going to make another visit to the dealer during the day to get a better look underneath the car. I also want to see if I can get the price down a little since the mileage is a little higher than what I was looking for.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2013 model and its a GS more refined for only 1,250 more and perfect condition seems like a better deal to me. Previous owner did 25,000km a year? probably highway ask sales rep.
    Last edited by Canadianbacon; 02-11-2016 at 01:08 AM.
    2010 GT MZ3 2.5 MSDS Headers, Custom Tune, CS SRI,CS Full CBE,CS LED conversion, 3K HID fogs, 15%Tints,Koni Str.T H&R Sport Lowering Springs, Speed3 Rims, duel 12''MTX subs, Vinyl Wrap Roof,Mirrors,Spoiler

Resident Deal Provider, UnHaggle Rep, CarCostCanada, EasyCarDiscount
    Ride
    2017 CX-5 GT w/ Tech
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jomu View Post
    I continued my search this week and found a dark grey 2013 Skyactiv GS with 12,000 km more than the red GX I was looking at. It's listed at only $1,250 more. $12,250 vs $13,500. The body is in immaculate condition and from the looks of it, mostly highway driven. It's CPO and has a decent amount of tread on the tires and the brakes seem pretty healthy. From my understanding all 2013+ models come with a 96 month corrosion warranty! I'd be covered until January 2021! I'm going to make another visit to the dealer during the day to get a better look underneath the car. I also want to see if I can get the price down a little since the mileage is a little higher than what I was looking for.
    The 2014 came with an 8yr / unlimited km "Body Sheet Metal Perforation" Warranty.. not Corrosion.

On the 2015s the new "Unlimited km Warrantys" came into effect, the Anti-Perforation became 7yrs / unlimited and by definition is a warranty against a hole.. it is not Corrosion.

If possible, try and find a car that has rust protection on it with a transferable warranty.
    Damn you photobucket.....

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff-TheBiz For This Useful Post:

b3phillip (03-16-2016)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So, I closed the deal today and I'm awaiting finance approval (it's my first time!). If all goes well, I'll be the new owner of a 2013 Mazda3 GS Skyactiv. At first, I opted for the rust protection module ($1,199.00), Mazda Added Protection (UM2440, $1,574.00, 2 years/40,000km) and Xzilon paint protection ($499.00). I'm dealing with Mazda of Brampton and they say they aren't able to pull the service records because it may not have been serviced at a Mazda dealer. The vehicle was previously registered in Guelph.

I'm a little hesitant to keep all of the add-ons. I was originally planning on Krown-ing every fall. Hah, the finance manager called it crown moulding instead of Krown rustproofing. Is waxing each season and detailing every year just as effective as paint sealant? I'm leaning toward the Xzilon treatment, but I'm a little hesitant on the MAP warranty. The vehicle is only 3 years old with 86,000 km. Is it worth spending $1,500 on a comprehensive warranty that will most likely expire by the time the vehicle is only 5 years old with roughly 140,000 km? I drive 20-24k a year depending on where I'm working at the time. I'm self employed so the thought of having some protection against a potentially expensive repair will help me sleep at night!

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^ wow, they got you good on the extra add ons.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Jackal For This Useful Post:

sarujo (03-05-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would go to a third party retailed for paint protection, and say no to rust proofing, and no to MAP.
    The rust proofing price is crazy, with third party rust proofing available for $100-$150, you would have to keep the car 10+ years to break even.
    MAP - for that price you could almost afford a new engine.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Thanks
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those add ons are not necessary rust proofing you can do elsewhere and same with paint protection way cheaper. Definitely no to MAP on a mazda 3.

Ride
    1993 Mazda Miata
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So, I closed the deal today and I'm awaiting finance approval (it's my first time!). If all goes well, I'll be the new owner of a 2013 Mazda3 GS Skyactiv. At first, I opted for the rust protection module ($1,199.00), Mazda Added Protection (UM2440, $1,574.00, 2 years/40,000km) and Xzilon paint protection ($499.00). I'm dealing with Mazda of Brampton and they say they aren't able to pull the service records because it may not have been serviced at a Mazda dealer. The vehicle was previously registered in Guelph.

I'm a little hesitant to keep all of the add-ons. I was originally planning on Krown-ing every fall. Hah, the finance manager called it crown moulding instead of Krown rustproofing. Is waxing each season and detailing every year just as effective as paint sealant? I'm leaning toward the Xzilon treatment, but I'm a little hesitant on the MAP warranty. The vehicle is only 3 years old with 86,000 km. Is it worth spending $1,500 on a comprehensive warranty that will most likely expire by the time the vehicle is only 5 years old with roughly 140,000 km? I drive 20-24k a year depending on where I'm working at the time. I'm self employed so the thought of having some protection against a potentially expensive repair will help me sleep at night!
    Rust protection on a pre-owned vehicle is likely 6 years protection not lifetime so just be aware.
    Also if the car is a Mazda Certified PreOwned they come with an extended warranty already.

Nothing wrong with add ons if they suit your driving habits and concerns.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all of the help everyone! I think I'm going to forego all of the add-ons. I was frightened initially since the vehicle has no available service history. Even though it's CPO, I'm going to bring it to a mechanic prior to delivery just to have it looked over by a second pair of eyes. I reached out to the Automotive Protection Agency (APA) on Friday and I was given the name of 2 shops in Brampton: Surefire Auto and Windmill Automotive. I reached out to Windmill Automotive and the first thing the mechanic said to me on the phone was "Oh man, Mazda3? Those cars have a lot of issues." I knew right away he would be of no help to me. I'm still waiting to hear back from Surefire Auto. Could anybody recommend a shop in Brampton for a pre-purchase inspection?

I contacted the finance manager over the weekend to let her know I was not comfortable with the final purchase price on the bill of sale including all of the add-ons. Wish me luck!

Ride
    RAM 1500 - 2017
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They probably get that a lot.

Like others have said, get the car Krowned yearly and you're as rust-proof as you can be.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auto select tuning on Rutherford they mostly deal with euro cars but they work on my Mazda & do good work. Have to call to see when you can go in tho. Don't leave a voicemail tho as they don't listen to them

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Picked up my new baby!!! Graphite Mica 2013 GS Skyactiv!

Isn't the dealer supposed to detail the car before delivery? I noticed this in the morning. There are also a few tiny rock chips on the hood. I noticed some were painted over with a pen, but the dealer missed a few. Should I give them a call?

What in God's name could this be?! Perhaps some kind of trunk protector was installed before and it was painted over.

truckin' low
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Got any zoomed out pics of where that screw head is from?! Wow..

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's right underneath the recessed part of the bumper where the hatch opening is.

truckin' low
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd be wondering about accident repairs

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to midnightfxgt For This Useful Post:

jwoods_24 (03-03-2016),Kiewan (03-03-2016),sarujo (03-05-2016)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Clean car proof report and Certified Pre Owned.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't mean anything. If a collision is not reported and/or does not go through insurance and done all cash how is anyone to know? Looks very suspicious to me.

Also, did you not do a thorough walk around inspection of the vehicle before signing off on it and driving it away?

2010 Sport 2.0L 5MT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't worry about it much. Probably just an impact with some small object at some point. I Doubt there was any serious body damage as your panel gaps look nice and straight, and anyway, the whole bumper is one piece so it would be replaced as a whole, if it ever was.

Car looks really nice, like the colour.

And Congrats on the purchase.

_3

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't sweat it. It may have been a small accident or the bumper was cracked and repaired. If it drives great and looks good them don't worry about the little things. Every used car will have a minor issue. Just hope it's not a mechanical or electrical issue and you're good. Not worth worrying about the fact that the screw was painted over (or not) etc. Enjoy the beast!!