Thread: How painful is it to trade-up current Mazda3 for a CX-5 through dealer?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How painful is it to trade-up current Mazda3 for a CX-5 through dealer?

I bought my Mazda3 2014 almost two years ago, it's got less than 10k km on it and is in perfect condition. Just wondering if I go back to my dealer and want to trade up to a CX-5, will I be able to get a fair deal or am I gonna get hosed?

Any experiences on this?

Thanks!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How painful is it to trade-up current Mazda3 for a CX-5 through dealer?

Did you buy your 3 outright ? Or did you finance ?
    Best case scenario..likely a 30% depreciation .
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How painful is it to trade-up current Mazda3 for a CX-5 through dealer?

Financed ... didn't have 23k laying around :-)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Talk to a dealer, but yeah likely going to lose 40% of the value .

Ride
    1993 Mazda Miata
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hard to say without the details and an appraisal. Best bet is to come in with your current buyout (if you have one) and go through the process. If it works then you do it. If not, then you wait. Your car is at its highest value today so not a bad idea to at least find out.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chatsubo20 View Post
    I bought my Mazda3 2014 almost two years ago, it's got less than 10k km on it and is in perfect condition. Just wondering if I go back to my dealer and want to trade up to a CX-5, will I be able to get a fair deal or am I gonna get hosed?

Any experiences on this?

Thanks!
    Plain and simple, you'll get HOSED! You need to think more clearly why you need a CX-5 over what you already have and is it absolutely necessary. From your mileage you hardly drive... I'd suggest keep the 3, but that's just me. ; )

_3

Resident Deal Provider, UnHaggle Rep, CarCostCanada, EasyCarDiscount
    Ride
    2017 CX-5 GT w/ Tech
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    Plain and simple, you'll get HOSED! You need to think more clearly why you need a CX-5 over what you already have and is it absolutely necessary. From your mileage you hardly drive... I'd suggest keep the 3, but that's just me. ; )

_3
    Easy Flag...

You wont get hosed. You should however expect to be encounter negative equity, meaning your cars value has come down since you bought faster than your loan.
    Damn you photobucket.....

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff-TheBiz For This Useful Post:

loki (02-21-2016),midnightfxgt (02-21-2016),RTEnthusiast (02-20-2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff-TheBiz View Post
    Easy Flag...

You wont get hosed. You should however expect to be encounter negative equity, meaning your cars value has come down since you bought faster than your loan.
    Encounter negative equity! Lol ...isn't that the same thing?. Jeff, am I not speaking the truth? Hosed is just simply a term, not pointing any fingers, just stating a KNOWN fact...In his situation, he would definitely be loosing alot or getting alot worse into debt...You know it, and I know it. So why a rebuttal.

_3

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flagrum_3 For This Useful Post:

Kiewan (02-21-2016),m_bisson (02-21-2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Encounter negative equity! Lol ...isn't that the same thing?. Jeff, am I not speaking the truth? Hosed is just simply a term, not pointing any fingers, just stating a KNOWN fact...In his situation, he would definitely be loosing alot or getting alot worse into debt...You know it, and I know it. So why a rebuttal.

_3
    You are suggesting the dealership would "hose him". Rather, he would take a similar loss in value trading in the car to the dealership, or selling privately.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to S.F.W. For This Useful Post:

Jeff-TheBiz (02-20-2016),loki (02-21-2016),RTEnthusiast (02-20-2016)

Resident Deal Provider, UnHaggle Rep, CarCostCanada, EasyCarDiscount
    Ride
    2017 CX-5 GT w/ Tech
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

_3
    Why the challenge? Why you so mad? Not everyone has to keep their car 12 yrs..

People upgrade and downgrade all the time.. cars, houses, cell phones...

Will he lose money in the process? Of course.. However don't make it sound like it is the dealer that is going to screw him over. If he wants to trade up.. so be it.. If he feels like the dealer is undervaluing the trade, best option is to sell it privately and use the proceeds to pay off the loan.

To the OP, did you put any money down on the current car? trade in? was it a 0% finance or did it have a cash incentive applied to it and financing at ~4%.

Many factors to consider

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff-TheBiz For This Useful Post:

RTEnthusiast (02-20-2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S.F.W. View Post
    You are suggesting the dealership would "hose him". Rather, he would take a similar loss in value trading in the car to the dealership, or selling privately.
    Why the challenge? Why you so mad? Not everyone has to keep their car 12 yrs..

People upgrade and downgrade all the time.. cars, houses, cell phones...

Will he lose money in the process? Of course.. However don't make it sound like it is the dealer that is going to screw him over. If he wants to trade up.. so be it.. If he feels like the dealer is undervaluing the trade, best option is to sell it privately and use the proceeds to pay off the loan.

To the OP, did you put any money down on the current car? trade in? was it a 0% finance or did it have a cash incentive applied to it and financing at ~4%.

Many factors to consider

Do you guys have reading comprehension issues? ...Seriously. Did I mention a dealer? I simply answered the OP's question. The question being; Would he get hosed? ... and I answered he will. If he sells his vehicle or trades up, whatever he does makes no difference.

So SFW, I didn't suggest anything of the sort, but that he would get hosed, i.e. loose alot of money and should consider if he really needs the upgrade...simple.

Jeff, So I'm mad because I state a fact? I put in my 2 cents if you don't like it sorry,...but, I think my statement was truthful and pretty precise.
    Incentives, other factors whatnot, he would still loose alot on a 2 year old car.

So why the mention of my decision to keep my car long term? What are you really implying here?...Does it matter what I've decided to do? ...I think you should contemplate who is actually mad here.

_3

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flagrum_3 For This Useful Post:

Kiewan (02-21-2016),m_bisson (02-21-2016)

Ride
    Aston Martin V8 Vantage
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lol @ angry Flagrum...

The Toys:
    Aston Martin V8 Vantage 6MT - Tungsten Silver
    Honda S2000 (AP2) - Rio Yellow
    Toyota Camry AllTrac 4WD - Silver Metallic
    Daily: Lexus LS 430 Ultra Luxury - Brilliant Black

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RTEnthusiast For This Useful Post:

Jeff-TheBiz (02-20-2016),midnightfxgt (02-21-2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RTEnthusiast View Post
    Lol @ angry Flagrum...
    Who are you and what are you laughing at?

_3

truckin' low
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP - It depends on your definition of hosed.

Like Jeff said, you will likely owe more on the car than its worth (this of course depends on a bunch of things, but its common-place for many to be in a negative equity situation). Assuming this is the case, you need to figure out the numbers. If the car is worth 2K less that what you owe, are you willing to eat that? Many chose to "roll it in" to the new car, and pay a slightly higher monthly cost.

I'd highly recommend Jeff. He wont BS you, and will tell you straight-up what he can do. No games, just numbers. If it works for you, sign away.

-John

21. The Following User Says Thank You to midnightfxgt For This Useful Post:

SonicBoy (02-21-2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by midnightfxgt View Post
    OP - It depends on your definition of hosed.

Like Jeff said, you will likely owe more on the car than its worth (this of course depends on a bunch of things, but its common-place for many to be in a negative equity situation). Assuming this is the case, you need to figure out the numbers. If the car is worth 2K less that what you owe, are you willing to eat that? Many chose to "roll it in" to the new car, and pay a slightly higher monthly cost.

I'd highly recommend Jeff. He wont BS you, and will tell you straight-up what he can do. No games, just numbers. If it works for you, sign away.

-John
    I don't think Jeff's reputation was ever put into question here. Everyone knows Jeff,...there's a whole thread full of positive statements backing his reputation.

"Hosed", as the OP stated it, is easily interpreted as in meaning "being screwed" or "getting screwed"...there is no question that's what he meant.

The assumption that he would get screwed because 'dealer's' were out to get him or are scoundrels, on the other hand was never made. One cannot expect a dealer or anyone for that matter to offer him more than what the vehicle is worth....He will get screwed simply because of his situation!

No matter what he has lost anywhere from 30-40% value on his vehicle, (which depends obviously on many factors)...This is the average depreciation of vehicles over 2 years and concluded by several top-ranked sources.

The fact the OP brings it up in the first place would suggest a major loss is simply not acceptable to him, atleast that's my interpretation. So telling him he'll get hosed is not a fabrication. It is to be expected.

I think he has some thinking to do, as to whether an upgrade is worth the loss. That simply was my point, and it cannot be denied he will see a loss.

_3

Ride
    Aston Martin V8 Vantage
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jesus Christ Flagrum, you're only making it worse for yourself. I think we all understand depreciation... your original post suggested that a dealer would intentionally hose him. While it's indeed a small possibility, obviously two dealers here (Jeff and Lisa) are in a position to battle the reputation that other sketchy dealerships have unfortunately cast upon the community.

Now quit acting like a child... you're like 60 for godssakes.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to RTEnthusiast For This Useful Post:

midnightfxgt (02-21-2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RTEnthusiast View Post
    Jesus Christ Flagrum, you're only making it worse for yourself. I think we all understand depreciation... your original post suggested that a dealer would intentionally hose him. While it's indeed a small possibility, obviously two dealers here (Jeff and Lisa) are in a position to battle the reputation that other sketchy dealerships have unfortunately cast upon the community.

Now quit acting like a child... you're like 60 for godssakes.
    Read my original comment again and explain to me where I suggested dealers would intentionally hose him?...Acting like a child, screw you.... I explained it quite well in my last comment what exactly was meant originally...So try not reading more into what is written. If you understand what depreciation is, then why all this negativity to my suggestion to the OP?

You guys kill me, one tries to be helpful and everyone tramples you under foot...I think maybe, it is you that requires some growing up.

_3

Thanks
    Thanked 6,154 Times in 3,173 Posts
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Hosed and taking a hit on the value is not the same thing, so flagrum_3 relax. Don't be so defensive when you're corrected.

That said, he didn't mean any ill intentions, so everyone else relax.

This isn't the comments section in YouTube

27. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki For This Useful Post:

Aitch (02-21-2016),midnightfxgt (02-21-2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Easy Flag...

_3

Where the misunderstanding started innocently.

Move on.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chatsubo20 View Post

Any experiences on this?

Thanks!
    Mazda CX5 isn't a whole lot bigger than a Mazda 3 so not sure the reasoning to upgrade unless you want on demand awd and a higher seating position/view of the road.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to loki For This Useful Post:

Kiewan (02-21-2016),Shizuka_Osamu (02-21-2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

And to take things just 1 step further, everyone here, myself included, are always looking out for their own interest and to get the best deal for themselves. So why expect anytbi anything different from the dealerships? If anyone here cannot understand that they should never open their own business as it will likely fail or simply be mediocre at best.

Members are quick to jump on the value of a car in the classifieds when it is being sold, same goes for selling parts or personal belongings. They beat down someone's asking price. A dealership is no different but you aren't being forced into anything.

Have a good day.

EDIT: the above statement was made in a very general sense and absolutely in no way was directed at any single individual. Just so we are 100% clear!
    Last edited by loki; 02-21-2016 at 02:25 PM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to loki For This Useful Post:

b3phillip (03-16-2016)

Ride
    RAM 1500 - 2017
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a post whore, eh guys?

34. The Following User Says Thank You to m_bisson For This Useful Post:

RTEnthusiast (02-21-2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if its a trade in i would think he would get the trade in value of the car,but if the outstanding loan amount is still higher than what the car is worth the amount still owing would be added to the financing of the new vehicle.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and yes when i say trade in value of his car i mean the dealerships trade in value.i understand it would be lower than selling private as the dealership would need to make money of the resale.