Thread: Mobil 1 Ontario Time-Attack adding a Raw Time Challenge to all OTA events.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Mobil 1 Ontario Time-Attack adding a Raw Time Challenge to all OTA events.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Mobil 1 Time-Attack series is looking to expand their offerings for this year's competition. Not only are we allowing lapping for the morning sessions only, but are looking into adding a "Raw Time Challenge".

There would only be a few classes (likely 3) ranging from "Mild" through "Improved" to "Wild" loosely based on weight to horsepower. Although the final rules are still up in the air, I think you can get a good idea of whether your car is in one of these 3 categories but needless to say, "Wild" is for fully race prepped cars with lots of power and safety equipment.

Competitors in the Raw Time Challenge would not need to classify their cars and unlike the scoring that is used for regular Ontario Time-Attack competition (based on individual PAX scores calculated from a rigorous car classification), the Raw Time Challenge is just looking for the fastest car in their respective class.

Given that in our morning lapping we are able to get some reasonable idea of lap times and able to make a grid based on these times, there should be no issue with running the Raw Time Challenge cars in with regular OTA competitors in the afternoon competition runs although from what I hear, there are a number of cars running in other series that would easily classify as "Wild" and would likely lead the pack in OTA.

So does this appeal to you? How about friends of yours who don't compete in OTA and maybe find the competition and classification stuff too much?

Ontario Time-Attack still offers the widest variety of tracks of any time attack series in the country and with some new scoring this year, we are looking forward to providing the closest competition ever.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,154 Times in 3,173 Posts
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mobil 1 Ontario Time-Attack adding a Raw Time Challenge to all OTA events.

I'm not following...

So for this new category you just show up and compete and it is mixed in with a regular time attack event?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mobil 1 Ontario Time-Attack adding a Raw Time Challenge to all OTA events.

Part of the closeness of competition means we need a few rules including the submission of a PIP or point schedule which ranks the car with all its modifications to calculate an effective handicap or PAX score. Some folks love that and some don't. The new classes mean you don't have to submit a PIP schedule and as long as your car passes the safety requirement, you can just show up and run. You will be timed in whichever of the RTC classes you run in and will run in competition according to your lap times but won't be scored in OTA, just in RTC (Raw Time Challenge) classes. You might be interested in bringing a few friends to find out among yourselves who is actually the fastest car/ driver combo. RTC is decidedly lower key competition but likely fun none the less.

The PAX factors used in Ontario Time-Attack are designed to find out the best driver, not necessarily the best car/driver combo.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

How much would a day out cost (track costs only)?

Ride
    '91 318i, '11 550i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by loki View Post
    How much would a day out cost (track costs only)?
    interested in this as well. Also which track is this at, i reread the post a few times and didn't see it

Thanks
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan2.3 View Post
    interested in this as well. Also which track is this at, i reread the post a few times and didn't see it
    It would seem like it is various tracks, but if any are at Mosport DDT I would be interested

7. The Following User Says Thank You to loki For This Useful Post:

ryan2.3 (02-23-2016)

Ride
    '91 318i, '11 550i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very interested. Also motivation to finish up the other car faster

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Ontario Time-Attack series has a 1 day school at the DDT, 1 day at TMP, 1 day school at MIR, 1 day event at MIR, 2 days at DDT and 2 days at Shannonville both long and Pro tracks

To run for either the OTA or Raw Time Challenge championships you will need to attend 5 out of 6 competition events.

OTOH, there is no problem running just one event, (lots of people do) no need to pay for a Time-Attack licence and the prices are down significantly from last year.

Hope to get a link to the official price list and dates soon.

BTW, by far the best prices will be on Saturday April 2 at JRP in Mississauga at the Open House for Time-Attack, Autoslalom and Raw Time Challenge

We are still finalizing the Raw Time Challenge break points between Mild, Improved and Wild. Mainly it will be based on wgt/hp but we are also open to other suggestions.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sorry but this is all very confusing

11. The Following User Says Thank You to loki For This Useful Post:

ryan2.3 (02-25-2016)

Ride
    '91 318i, '11 550i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah can you simplify this with say a schedule showing dates/locations/prices?

and just to clarify, license is only required if you plan on doing the championship, and not just dropping into a day here or there

are there any other requirements? such as a car club membership. Found this searching around, not sure if it was relevant to this
    http://www.casc.on.ca/timeattack/about

What does it take to compete?

Any car in good mechanical condition
    An approved helmet
    Membership in an affiliated automotive club (about 30 to choose from!)
    A CASC-OR Class 'C' Licence
    A desire to learn, compete, improve and have fun!
    Go to the Registration Page to find out more and how to sign up!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The schedule is here http://www.casc.on.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=32839

Prices will be posted very soon but considering I was part of the committee that set them, I can tell you they are significantly lower than last year and our lapping at MIR is an unbelievable deal.

A licence is required but it will be no cost to you. Just fill out the form when you register. Club memberships for OTA and RTC members will be very cheap or free depending on the club.(BTW, cheaper isn't always the best choice there)

The safety requirements are the same as always and have not changed since last year. It does mean we need good rollover protection for convertibles, an approved helmet and a safety check list. We take our safety more seriously than some.

I do have a concern re lapping availability Our prime audience is competitors and as such, if the event day is fully subscribed ahead of time with OTA and Raw Time Challenge competitors, there will not be any room for lappers. OTOH, there may well be some lapping opportunities for the May 14 1 day school at the DDT and we are definitely offering lapping at MIR on June 25 although if you have never driven that track in anger I seriously suggest you take the school of the same day.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very interested in this as well. BTW what track is MIR and where is it located? I am a complete noob at track events etc, and it will be my first time if i do decide to attend. Since it's my first time i dont really feel like entering a competition would be the best idea. More interested in open lapping etc.

In addition to this, what safety equipment would i need to attend? I drive an 06 speed 6 which is completely stock and i have a snell 2010 helmet.

thanks

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to take so long to get back to you. MIR is Mosport International Raceway which is part of Canadian Tire Motorsport Park north of Bowmanville and is the fastest dedicated road circuit in the western hemisphere.

If you are new to track driving I would highly suggest you take a school to start with. We run ours at the Driver Development Track or DDT at the same Canadian Tire Motorsport Park. Not as fast as MIR and not as intimidating but challenging and busy with lots of elevation changes. Our 1 day school runs on May 14.

You need to have a newer (i.e.2005 or newer) Snell rated helmet either SA or M style and a car with seatbelts and brakes in good condition. A Speed 6 is fine.

The Ontario Time-Attack series is a great way to get started on the track. There is lapping in the morning divided by car/driver speeds with a dedicated Novice group with instructors available (don't get that at many lapping days). In the afternoon competition sessions there are usually 3 sessions each of 5 laps including 1 warm up lap , 3 hot laps and 1 cool down lap. There is no passing allowed in the competition sessions so the chance of car to car contact is just about zero (it has never happened yet). You are able to drive at your own pace and use the skills you learned in the morning without any fear of having other cars near you on the track. The competition aspect is pretty low key as we don't have any significant prizes, it is just for fun and bragging rights. Usually the best competition is against yourself or someone with a similar type car.

We are anticipating a big turn out for this season and the first time you can sign up for any event is April 2 at the JRP open house in Mississauga where there are also significant discounts. Prices this year are cheaper across the board and we take $CDN at par !! Be aware that there is an entry limit for each event which varies from track to track.

Here is the schedule for the whole season http://www.casc.on.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=32866

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave B View Post
    Sorry to take so long to get back to you. MIR is Mosport International Raceway which is part of Canadian Tire Motorsport Park north of Bowmanville and is the fastest dedicated road circuit in the western hemisphere.

If you are new to track driving I would highly suggest you take a school to start with. We run ours at the Driver Development Track or DDT at the same Canadian Tire Motorsport Park. Not as fast as MIR and not as intimidating but challenging and busy with lots of elevation changes. Our 1 day school runs on May 14.

You need to have a newer (i.e.2005 or newer) Snell rated helmet either SA or M style and a car with seatbelts and brakes in good condition. A Speed 6 is fine.

The Ontario Time-Attack series is a great way to get started on the track. There is lapping in the morning divided by car/driver speeds with a dedicated Novice group with instructors available (don't get that at many lapping days). In the afternoon competition sessions there are usually 3 sessions each of 5 laps including 1 warm up lap , 3 hot laps and 1 cool down lap. There is no passing allowed in the competition sessions so the chance of car to car contact is just about zero (it has never happened yet). You are able to drive at your own pace and use the skills you learned in the morning without any fear of having other cars near you on the track. The competition aspect is pretty low key as we don't have any significant prizes, it is just for fun and bragging rights. Usually the best competition is against yourself or someone with a similar type car.

We are anticipating a big turn out for this season and the first time you can sign up for any event is April 2 at the JRP open house in Mississauga where there are also significant discounts. Prices this year are cheaper across the board and we take $CDN at par !! Be aware that there is an entry limit for each event which varies from track to track.

Here is the schedule for the whole season http://www.casc.on.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=32866

Thanks for posting that! Believe it or not, i have already driven on the GP circuit at MIR, however i know it as just Mosport. I was lucky enough to be invited to a mini test drive event with their JCW minis in Sept. 2013. It was my first time on a track and being in a completely new vehicle etc i didnt really push the limits of the car at all (which I HIGHLY regret). The mini really is an amazing car and I still had a blast at the event. Ever since that event, I have been trying to get back on the track, but this time in my own car. These events look great and i might attend a couple. I'm especially looking at the event on June 26th

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of you are aware of the Ontario Time Attack rules which try to compare drivers of different cars to see who is the best driver

Now for this year we also have the Raw Time Challenge (RTC) which looks at who is the best driver/car combination within a very few rules.

Here are the classification particulars re RTC. No need for dynos, car weights, PIP schedules etc. Just run what you brung

Ontario Time-Attack Bulletin Mar 28/2016
    Ontario Time-Attack will be adding 4 additional classes to the Mobil 1 Ontario Time-Attack Series Championship for 2016. All entrant cars must have started as street chassis vehicles (i.e. no tube frame or race chassis only cars). The new classes will be known as Raw Time Challenge classes and are based on weight to horsepower ratios of the competing car as it was delivered from the manufacturer. The rules are designed to be very “loose” allowing a number of modifications. For drivers choosing to run in the Raw Time Challenge classes, this bulletin replaces most of sections 3 to 6 of the Ontario Time-Attack rule book. Please note that sections 1 and 2 of the rule book apply to all Ontario Time-Attack classes as do sections 3.5 to 3.8.
    The new classes known as RTC for Raw Time Challenge are defined below
    Base Classes:

RTC3: OEM power to weight ratio of greater than 15 lbs/hp.

RTC2: OEM power to weight ratio of greater than 11 to 15 lbs/hp.

RTC1: OEM power to weight ratio of greater than 7 to 11 lbs/hp.

RTC Unlimited: Power to weight ratio of under 7 lbs/hp.
    Note that all engine modifications, chassis lightening, suspension modifications, gearing modifications and aerodynamic modifications are allowed with the following exceptions:
    Engine swap: For any car with an engine swap, power to weight ratio must be re-calculated based on manufacturer published OEM horsepower of the engine being swapped in.
    Aftermarket or non OE turbochargers or Superchargers: The addition of a turbocharger or supercharger to a vehicle or the changing of an existing turbocharger or supercharger to a device not sold OEM for that vehicle will move the vehicle classification to the next fastest class.
    Tires:
    Using tires of a UTQG rating of 60 to 139 will move a car to the next fastest class
    Using tires with a UTQG rating of 59 or less will move a car to the class that is 2 classes faster
    Racing Slicks can only be used in RTC Unlimited class
    Special safety requirements for RTC Unlimited: All RTC unlimited cars require roll over protection as well as the driver must use a nomex or similar type fire protection suit unless the car comes OEM with less than 7 lb/hp. All cars using racing slicks must have roll over protection and the driver must wear a nomex or similar fire protection suit.
    Scoring: Scoring will not use the PAX system and will be based on the fastest time in class as follows
    100 points for first in class
    70 points for second in class
    50 points for third in class
    30 points for fourth in class
    20 points for fifth in class
    10 points for sixth in class
    Points will be cumulative over the season with the class winners based on best accumulated points for 5 out of 6 events.