Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 700 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Suggestion for new summer tires

Quote Originally Posted by ottoyu34 View Post
    I am getting Potenza RE760 in 205/50R17 for $484 installed all in.
    @ottoyu34

Where did you have this done? Very interested for that price point
    I messed up your name in the last tag in this thread....
    Thanks

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiewan View Post
    @ottoyu34

Where did you have this done? Very interested for that price point
    I messed up your name in the last tag in this thread....
    Thanks
    Simply Tire has it for $520 installed -$30 early bird discount +$16 OTS? -$70MIR= Roughly $499.7 installed.
    2010 Mazda 3 GT Sedan - Graphite Mica

| Enkei Raijin+Michelin PSS | Rays lug nuts | RoadMagnet+Koni Yellow | SPC Cam.Arm | CS F Strut bar+MidBrace | JBR RSB | CS SRI+AirBox | Racing Beat Exhaust | Amsoil Signature Series 0W20&ATF | CS LED Light kit | CS LED DRL | Corksport LED fogs | Smoked Head & Tail Lights | CS LED 3rd brake | LED Projector Reverse light | FormulaOne Pinnacle series tints | Mazda3 Weathertech Floorliner & Trunkliner | Scuff Plates | Window Visors | OEM Side Skirts | Bosch Icon | CS Tow Plate | CS Hood Dampers |

3. The Following User Says Thank You to ottoyu34 For This Useful Post:

Kiewan (04-06-2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GurungBoi View Post
    anyone tried the Falken ZE950 93W ? looking those ,reviews look good.
    yeah i was looking at these too!

reviews seem really positive
    Instagram @terencerecla

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

So I have a short list based on reviews from here, tirerack, friend's recommendations ect.

(205/50R/17, waiting back on pricing from Allan at Simplytire [email sent as per his instructions, no PMs])

looking for:

Spirited daily driving ect. - no tracking as my car cant so that. She will die.
    Handling, response, confidence , as well as some comfort.
    Road noise not an issue as my car sounds like a shed on the highway anyway ...
    To keep them for 2-3 seasons so tread wear must be OK.
    Price range - $400-$700. Rebates and discounts at Simplytire look nice right now which will help this.

Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport
    Continental Extreme Contact DW
    BF Goodrich Comp 2 A/S
    Nexen CP672 92H

@Aitch - How do you like the Nexens so far. I read that you had these in another post.

If any stand out/anyone have personal experience, both good and bad, let me know, please tag me in responses.
    Thank you

Ride
    '98 BMW 750iL
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Kiewan I've got absolutely no complaints about the Nexens. I was sticking to a budget and Allen recommended them. They are fairly quiet on the road (my previous Coopers were horrendous, my winter tires were quieter, Barum Polaris). I don't have experience with UHP summer tires, so I can't compare grip levels, but I've always been confident with the Nexens even when driving aggressively. Had no issues in the rain either. We'll see how they hold up in their second summer.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Aitch For This Useful Post:

Kiewan (04-07-2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ottoyu34 View Post
    Simply Tire has it for $520 installed -$30 early bird discount +$16 OTS? -$70MIR= Roughly $499.7 installed.
    Im booked on the 16th for my summers for the Bridgestone RE760s. Any more details on the 30$ early bird?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just bought my Hankook Ventus V4 last year and have zero regrets. tons of grip and handles amazing on the road. They are amazing as well on wet pavement. No issues trying to steer around anything!
    Enkei Wheels,R40 lug nuts, ISC N1 coilovers, Corksport short shifter, CS Rear sway bar
    Ebay front strut bar, Custom magnaflow axleback w/ 4" tips, Style M front lip

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just put the Conti DW on my car. So only been 2 days which is meaningless in overall scheme of things but generally compared to the discontinued but back then highly rated on Tirerack Fuzion ZRi, I like the DW better.

As you might have read online the steering feel is not crisp. They do grip but as I am not on a track and not an idiot I can't tell you how much but suffice to say both the DW and my old summers grip more than enough to take ramps leaving most people in your dust. That said on a right hander going to the subdivision I live in the DW grips better, I am in less fear of hitting the median coming in hot in our FWD plows.

The DW has good road manners (again as you might have read) and are not hash on expansion joints and generally (for a 40 ratio 18 inch summer) provide a pretty good ride. Noise is also lower then I am used to, but apparent as soon as you are above a crawling speed. It's a low growl so in some way it can make you feel they are noisy but the volume isn't high as I can set my radio to a lower volume.

They do rail road track a bit but I can't tell you in relation to your other choices as I never used those before. I find myself correcting more on the highway.

They are pricy, I got them because i figure well I like to try the higher end for once.

Hope this helps.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My quick $0.02:

I have 245/45/17 POTENZA RE760s. This is my second year with them. So that's spring, summer, fall x2. I've beaten the absolute piss out of these tires. That means several passes down Luskville and several lap days at Calabogie. They're also my DD tires. To give you an idea how well the tread holds up to the power, I'm currently 379whp/389tq. I cannot recommend these tires enough.

When I do eventually move on to different tires, I'll be checking out Extreme Contact DW.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AstralBody For This Useful Post:

Kiewan (04-25-2016),TRECLA (05-05-2016)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Bit of a Bump

I now also have the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 sports in 205/50R17 and I love them so far. I regret not getting these on my last wheels as they are miles better than my old Nankang NS2-Rs in terms of noise and comfort.
    I received the above mentioned good early bird price from simply tire + mail in rebate and would recommend these tires to anyone.

Jr Member
    Ride
    2012 Volvo C30 T5
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gotak View Post
    Just put the Conti DW on my car. So only been 2 days which is meaningless in overall scheme of things but generally compared to the discontinued but back then highly rated on Tirerack Fuzion ZRi, I like the DW better.

As you might have read online the steering feel is not crisp. They do grip but as I am not on a track and not an idiot I can't tell you how much but suffice to say both the DW and my old summers grip more than enough to take ramps leaving most people in your dust. That said on a right hander going to the subdivision I live in the DW grips better, I am in less fear of hitting the median coming in hot in our FWD plows.

The DW has good road manners (again as you might have read) and are not hash on expansion joints and generally (for a 40 ratio 18 inch summer) provide a pretty good ride. Noise is also lower then I am used to, but apparent as soon as you are above a crawling speed. It's a low growl so in some way it can make you feel they are noisy but the volume isn't high as I can set my radio to a lower volume.

They do rail road track a bit but I can't tell you in relation to your other choices as I never used those before. I find myself correcting more on the highway.

They are pricy, I got them because i figure well I like to try the higher end for once.

Hope this helps.
    I have tracked and autocrossed the DW and can assure you they grip hard, especially in the wet stuff. The sidewall is soft, and after 2 track days and 4 autocrosses I managed to expose the cords on one sidewall. The remaining 3 tires are on year 2. The soft wall is what provides their comfort but also makes it less crisp than other tires.

Strongly recommend them, as they are grippier in the wet than the re760 and seem to wear better (my last set of re760s the fronts were dead after 2 lapping days)
    Never stop zoom-zooming

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by riche View Post
    I just bought BF Goodrich Comp-2 A/S tires. Like yesterday.
    $160 ea. and have pretty good reviews, will let you know how the ride noise is later.
    @riche So how is the road noise a year later with these Comp-2 A/S? These are currently at the top of TireRack's UHP All Season category (just under the Pilot Sport A/S 3+) and I am considering these BFGs now. TIA.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...jsp?type=UHPAS

2010 Sport 2.0L 5MT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sarujo View Post
    @riche So how is the road noise a year later with these Comp-2 A/S? These are currently at the top of TireRack's UHP All Season category (just under the Pilot Sport A/S 3+) and I am considering these BFGs now. TIA.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/surve...jsp?type=UHPAS
    Hey, sorry I missed your message.

I would say the road noise was more than expected. There was a noticeable difference when I switched from my winters. My guess would be that they've made these tires harder to boost the wear rating. The tread holds up well though and I feel confident in wet weather and light snow, so at least there's that.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by riche View Post
    Hey, sorry I missed your message.

I would say the road noise was more than expected. There was a noticeable difference when I switched from my winters. My guess would be that they've made these tires harder to boost the wear rating. The tread holds up well though and I feel confident in wet weather and light snow, so at least there's that.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the fast reply!

Are you able to describe the type of noise? Was it a constant one that increased/changed as you drove faster? Droning/buzzing? Or more like wushing pink noise?

There will definitely be a difference when changing from winter to summer in terms of noise. I had that with Michelin Pilots (UHP category) as well.

You are in a gen 3, correct? That would mean your car is better sound insulated than my Gen 2. :|

Did you notice a reduction of fuel economy at all?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to get new tires next month. I'm trying the new Cooper Zeon RS3-G1. Read the limited reviews on other forums and they seem to like them. One forum member for the Camaro has them on his SS and says they grip really well considering his car has nearly 500hp. So if they can handle that, than my gen 3 Mazda should be no problem.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by krash3 View Post
    I have to get new tires next month. I'm trying the new Cooper Zeon RS3-G1. Read the limited reviews on other forums and they seem to like them. One forum member for the Camaro has them on his SS and says they grip really well considering his car has nearly 500hp. So if they can handle that, than my gen 3 Mazda should be no problem.
    Avoid the Cooper Zeon RS3-Ss. Not sure how similar those would be. They wore unevenly & badly, performed poorly in the rain, and were pretty noisy. Lasted 1.5 seasons or around 20K km...

So far I really like my Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sports.
    Last edited by Kiewan; 03-22-2017 at 08:00 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Avoid the Cooper RS2-Ss. They wore unevenly & badly, performed poorly in the rain, and were pretty noisy.

Do you mean the RS3-S? I was not even considering them.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by krash3 View Post
    Do you mean the RS3-S? I was not even considering them.
    Yeah, I knew the name wasn't right, brought up an old picture and had to look at the sidewall. We can both agree those are crap.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started out wanting these RE760's until I discovered that for 205/50/17 their weight per tire is 28lbs compared to 21.8lbs to 24lbs for the others on my list

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I started out wanting these RE760's until I discovered that for 205/50/17 their weight per tire is 28lbs compared to 21.8lbs to 24lbs for the others on my list
    @sarujo -Save yourself alot of hassle and just get the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+. A little pricier but you won't find a better tire in the category. I guarantee you'll be extremely happy with them. I love my Pilots.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    @sarujo -Save yourself alot of hassle and just get the Michelin Pilot A/S 3+. A little pricier but you won't find a better tire in the category. I guarantee you'll be extremely happy with them. I love my Pilots.

_3
    @Flagrum_3 Yes, my old summers were Pilot Exalto's and was happy with them, but they got noisier with age.

I know the A/S 3+ are amazing tires but I'm mainly concerned with the noise. Have spoken with some using A/S 3's on more higher end cars with much more sound insulation and they too mentioned the noise. TireRack reviews are filled with similar complaints. I know there are tradeoff's in the UHP A/S category but I also want to avoid dropped down to the GT A/S category just get a quieter ride.

How would you describe the noise on your ride? Did it change much as the tires aged?

TIA

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Flagrum_3 Yes, my old summers were Pilot Exalto's and was happy with them, but they got noisier with age.

I know the A/S 3+ are amazing tires but I'm mainly concerned with the noise. Have spoken with some using A/S 3's on more higher end cars with much more sound insulation and they too mentioned the noise. TireRack reviews are filled with similar complaints. I know there are tradeoff's in the UHP A/S category but I also want to avoid dropped down to the GT A/S category just get a quieter ride.

How would you describe the noise on your ride? Did it change much as the tires aged?

TIA
    Mine are pretty quiet compared to other tires I've had on my 3. I believe this coming season will be my third on them. I'll let you know once I put them on if they have gotten any noisier. It shouldn't be too long now as I usually change over in April.

_3

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Flagrum_3 For This Useful Post:

sarujo (03-24-2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TIA
    Can confirm the Pilot A/S 3's are noisy. My Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 winter tires are much quieter. I'm almost dreading putting my summer tires back on ! The dry and wet grip however makes it a worthwhile trade-off.

The Pilots also *really* sharpened up the steering from the awful Dunlop SP5000 stock tires on the GT. When I first got my gen 3 I was disappointed in the steering, the steering was very accurate but it just felt numb on centre compared to my gen 2. I was really cursing the switch to all electric steering from the electro-hydraulic setup on gen 2. Putting on the Pilots made a huge difference which is why I can live with the increased noise.
    Current fleet: 2016 Mazda MX-5 GT 6MT, 2015 Mazda3 GT 6MT, 2011 Mazda CX-7 GX 5AT, 2010 Mazda3 GT 6MT, 2010 Mazda3 GT 5AT
    Retired: 2009 Mazda3 GT, 2009 Mazda5 GT, 2001 Mazda Protege ES, 2001 Mazda MPV ES, 1999 Mazda Protege LX, 1997 Mazda Protege SE, 1988 Mazda 626 Turbo, 1988 Mazda 323 LX, 1987 Mazda 323 LX

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaman007 View Post
    Can confirm the Pilot A/S 3's are noisy. My Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 winter tires are much quieter. I'm almost dreading putting my summer tires back on ! The dry and wet grip however makes it a worthwhile trade-off.

The Pilots also *really* sharpened up the steering from the awful Dunlop SP5000 stock tires on the GT. When I first got my gen 3 I was disappointed in the steering, the steering was very accurate but it just felt numb on centre compared to my gen 2. I was really cursing the switch to all electric steering from the electro-hydraulic setup on gen 2. Putting on the Pilots made a huge difference which is why I can live with the increased noise.
    @mazdaman007 can you describe the kind of noise you are talking about? Is it a constant noise throughout the speed range or variable? Whirring? White noise?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@mazdaman007 can you describe the kind of noise you are talking about? Is it a constant noise throughout the speed range or variable? Whirring? White noise?
    Just generic tire noise, a humming noise that increases in volume with speed. Wind and engine noise are well controlled in the gen 3 so I think this is part of the reason I'm noticing any increase in tire/road noise. Like I said the grip is fantastic for an all-season tire so for me I can live with it. Just depends on your priorities. What's more important for you, ultimate grip or quiet highway manners ?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast