Thread: Brought my car at achilles mazda td for my 89km oil service

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Brought my car at achilles mazda td for my 89km oil service

So after i did my service from achilles of mazda td they recommend that i need a transmission flush and a powrr steering flush also a brake service. I dont know why i need a brake service when my pads and rotor were replaces brand new by mazda of brampton 7months ago is it reasonable to get it done asap at 89km?please let me know thanks.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Brought my car at achilles mazda td for my 89km oil service

89k km?
    Brake service needs to be done annually or 24,000km. Mostly consist of removal of caliper surrounding components, cleaning and re-lube. It is essential for the proper function and upkeep of your brake calipers which many skips out and end up having a seized one. But if you've replaced your rotors and pads 7 months, you should not need it now assuming it was done properly.
    If your vehicle has NOT done trans or power steering fluid change at all, you really need to get it done asap.
    2010 Mazda 3 GT Sedan - Graphite Mica

| Enkei Raijin+Michelin PSS | Rays lug nuts | RoadMagnet+Koni Yellow | SPC Cam.Arm | CS F Strut bar+MidBrace | JBR RSB | CS SRI+AirBox | Racing Beat Exhaust | Amsoil Signature Series 0W20&ATF | CS LED Light kit | CS LED DRL | Corksport LED fogs | Smoked Head & Tail Lights | CS LED 3rd brake | LED Projector Reverse light | FormulaOne Pinnacle series tints | Mazda3 Weathertech Floorliner & Trunkliner | Scuff Plates | Window Visors | OEM Side Skirts | Bosch Icon | CS Tow Plate | CS Hood Dampers |

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, I bought the vehicle used at 75km, now its on 89km. before i got the car ofc, brampton of mazda serviced it first , they said they replace the front and rear rotors and pads that means its a Oem mazda rotor and pad right and brand new one so I doubt that i need a wheel brake service for it unless brampton of mazda ddint do the job properly right? and shoudlnt the Brampton of Mazda responsible for doing the tranny and steering flush for free? since I just bought the vehicle 7months ago from their dealership :/ $450 for flushes kinda costly and if I add the brake service its coming out around $600 + Tax :/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The transmission flush is a money grab when a simple drain and fill will do just fine.
    If you can make the trip to Markham, Ivan @ iGarage charges $60 for drain and fill using OEM Mazda fluid.
    Ignore the power steering flush unless you actually feel that you have a problem with the steering. I find it awfully convenient of them to list 3 major services because these ones are not cheap at all
    Yokohama ADVAN RS / Corksport SRI / Rally Armor / MS3 Spoiler / Eibach Pro-Kits / Some random strut bar / Ebay LED interior lights
    2010 Mazda3 GX CWP Hatch / 2016 Mazda6 GS-L JBM

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Akiba48 For This Useful Post:

aris (04-06-2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to clear things like.
    As I mentioned in my previous post. Caliper brake/service whatever you name it should be done at a certain interval. It is also part of the procedure when replacing brake pads and rotors. So in theory, since you got new pad and rotors, you might not need it.

Second, I would never bet on a dealership to do help you do maintenance on your car prior to delivery.

I suggest you go bring your car to one of the few trusted mechanics many of us uses and get an second opinion where the car needs to be worked on.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So how about a power steering drain and fill also would that wrk? Yes i can travel to markham from hamilton not a prob

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will certainly do that. Thanks for the advice . Appreciate it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It doesn't hurt. I have mine for 5 year with 71,000km. My mechanic Jimmy "suggest" to do it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know someone will probably argue with me but for the power steering, unless you are having issues, don't bother.

my old 04 had 328000kms and the other 05 we have with 220000kms have the original power steering fluid and no issues yet.

It has also never been suggested to me to change it in either of them and they have been to various dealerships/garages.
    2004 mazda 3 GT Sedan Indigo Blue.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gabbygenier For This Useful Post:

aris (04-06-2016),cwp_sedan (10-03-2016)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi mz3Danish,

I can't find the link right now, but Mazda's website have a service page where it tells you what services your car requires after a certain period of time. I know this because I was told to do a few flushes. It doesn't recommend it for such low mileage.

My advice: If the car is not giving you an issue, don't do it.

I'll try to find the page.

Cheers!

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SK_Mazda View Post
    Hi mz3Danish,

I can't find the link right now, but Mazda's website have a service page where it tells you what services your car requires after a certain period of time. I know this because I was told to do a few flushes. It doesn't recommend it for such low mileage.

I'll try to find the page.

Cheers!
    I found the link:
    https://www.mazda.ca/globalassets/en...aintenance.pdf

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well thats for 2014-2015 mazda 3

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First 3 I had with 310 000km and now I'm at 200 000km with my current one and have never done a power steering flush. I will say about a brake service. I have a manual transmission and the factory pads on the car at 200 000km and a good 35% left. I serviced them once last year for the first time and there was no seizing or anything. I'm not really a big believer in getting the frequent services. The cost of those add up to basically new brakes.

Jr Member
    Ride
    2012 Volvo C30 T5
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SK_Mazda View Post

Cheers!
    This is terrible advice. Why not tell him to not bother changing his oil until it's black and sludge-like while you're at it.

There is no such thing as a lifetime part or fluid. In time, all things degrade.
    Brake service: The main purpose is to keep the calipers from seizing. As said earlier if all 4 pads and rotors were done recently and properly this might be skippable this interval. Maybe. But the cost of new calipers is much higher.

Transmission fluid: Over time it will collect shavings. If you replace it regularly, everything should be fine. If you wait until your transmission starts slipping then it's already on its way out. A flush every couple of years is much less costly than a replacement transmission.

Power steering: this one is debated but over time it's going to collect condensation and contaminants, and could in theory damage the pump or become less effective over time.

While I'm at it:
    Brake fluid: collects air and water, loosing effectiveness over time. You might not notice it happening because it's a slow and gradual change, something humans suck at noticing, until you do a flush/bleed.

Nothing lasts forever and maintaining cars isn't cheap. The question is if you want/need to defer a smaller cost now in favour of a potentially huge cost later. Either way you're going to pay.
    Last edited by Dubcee; 10-02-2016 at 09:44 AM.
    Never stop zoom-zooming

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dubcee For This Useful Post:

DualSoul (10-05-2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dubcee View Post
    This is terrible advice. Why not tell him to not bother changing his oil until it's black and sludge-like while you're at it.

There is no such thing as a lifetime part or fluid. In time, all things degrade.
    Brake service: The main purpose is to keep the calipers from seizing. As said earlier if all 4 pads and rotors were done recently and properly this might be skippable this interval. Maybe. But the cost of new calipers is much higher.

Transmission fluid: Over time it will collect shavings. If you replace it regularly, everything should be fine. If you wait until your transmission starts slipping then it's already on its way out. A flush every couple of years is much less costly than a replacement transmission.

Power steering: this one is debated but over time it's going to collect condensation and contaminants, and could in theory damage the pump or become less effective over time.

While I'm at it:
    Brake fluid: collects air and water, loosing effectiveness over time. You might not notice it happening because it's a slow and gradual change, something humans suck at noticing, until you do a flush/bleed.

Nothing lasts forever and maintaining cars isn't cheap. The question is if you want/need to defer a smaller cost now in favour of a potentially huge cost later. Either way you're going to pay.
    Changing your engine oil verse your brake or steering fluid are completely different issues. Brake or steering fluid do not or will not get contaminated unless the system is exposed or compromised, as they are CLOSED SYSTEMS. Engine oil will get contaminated in many ways; fuel, water etc. and shear over time due to heat. I agree though that the 24k brake service is pretty much a no brainer with these cars as the sliders will seize. As for trans fluid; 50k for autos, 100k for manuals. Coolant depends on your type; 5 years for FL22 and every 2 years for regular coolant.

_3

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Flagrum_3 For This Useful Post:

dumbone95 (10-02-2016)

Jr Member
    Ride
    2012 Volvo C30 T5
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neither of these systems are completely 100% closed outside of a textbook.

In the case of brake fluid, it will pull moisture out of the air, reducing its effectiveness over time, and reducing its boiling point (important for repeated stops with a heavy load where brakes don't get a chance to cool). Air bubbles will also occasionally form, resulting in a squishy feeling pedal and less brake force applied.

It is also slowly degraded by heat and pressures generated by braking forces. Brake fluid also contains anti-rust/corrosion agents that, like oil, degrade over time and use. Neglecting brake fluid can result in corrosion of the seals in your caliper and result in a fluid leak.

Don't neglect to maintain the system responsible for stopping your car for what, 150 bucks every two years? It doesn't always pay to cheap out.

Edit: auto correct doesn't know the difference between its and it's

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I'm at it:

As someone who consistently did brake services there is nothing you can do to extend the life of a caliper. You are mainly greasing the slider pins to make sure both the outer in inner pads put equal pressure as well as cleaning the pad/bracket contact to stop the pad from not relieving pressure after the brake pedal is released.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neither of these systems are completely 100% closed outside of a textbook.

In the case of brake fluid, it will pull moisture out of the air, reducing its effectiveness over time, and reducing its boiling point (important for repeated stops with a heavy load where brakes don't get a chance to cool). Air bubbles will also occasionally form, resulting in a squishy feeling pedal and less brake force applied.

It is also slowly degraded by heat and pressures generated by braking forces. Brake fluid also contains anti-rust/corrosion agents that, like oil, degrade over time and use. Neglecting brake fluid can result in corrosion of the seals in your caliper and result in a fluid leak.

Don't neglect to maintain the system responsible for stopping your car for what, 150 bucks every two years? It doesn't always pay to cheap out.

Edit: auto correct doesn't know the difference between its and it's
    Your kidding right? These systems are "Closed" meaning they are sealed. Brake fluid will not contract air or accumulate water/moisture for years and years if the system is not compromised. Same goes for your power steering to a point and even your AC system. That is practical fact not theory. In my experience with my families/friends and personal vehicles, I have never changed out any of those fluids. I check my brake fluid every couple of years and guess what? Its still fine after 11.5 years with <1% water.

_3

Jr Member
    Ride
    2012 Volvo C30 T5
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not but if you want to maintain your car on nothing but hopes, dreams and wishful thinking that's your business.

Ride
    1993 Mazda Miata
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mz3Danish View Post
    So after i did my service from achilles of mazda td they recommend that i need a transmission flush and a powrr steering flush also a brake service. I dont know why i need a brake service when my pads and rotor were replaces brand new by mazda of brampton 7months ago is it reasonable to get it done asap at 89km?please let me know thanks.
    Services are advised based on either time or mileage. It could be one or the other. The service team does their best to advise properly based on what Mazda recommends and what the technicians note. If fluids are changing colour, its time for a flush. You are also kinda in-between the 96K service and the following one. Caliper services are every year or 24,000. and you are close to that mileage.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not but if you want to maintain your car on nothing but hopes, dreams and wishful thinking that's your business.
    No, not hopes and dreams, its called experience and most likely much, much more then you. I maintain my vehicles quite well thank you, and have for many years. So try selling that upsale story to someone else.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    Changing your engine oil verse your brake or steering fluid are completely different issues. Brake or steering fluid do not or will not get contaminated unless the system is exposed or compromised, as they are CLOSED SYSTEMS. Engine oil will get contaminated in many ways; fuel, water etc. and shear over time due to heat. I agree though that the 24k brake service is pretty much a no brainer with these cars as the sliders will seize. As for trans fluid; 50k for autos, 100k for manuals. Coolant depends on your type; 5 years for FL22 and every 2 years for regular coolant.

_3
    Re coolant change, not quite. From the 2010 manual with MZR motor for vehicles with FL22:

"Replace at first 192,000 km (120,000 miles) or 10 years; after
    that, every 96,000 km (60,000 miles) or 5 years"

2010 Sport 2.0L 5MT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sarujo View Post
    Re coolant change, not quite. From the 2010 manual with MZR motor for vehicles with FL22:

"Replace at first 192,000 km (120,000 miles) or 10 years; after
    that, every 96,000 km (60,000 miles) or 5 years"
    Yeah noticed that after I posted it.