Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New 2016 Mazda3 GX - 6 spd manual trans.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New 2016 Mazda3 GX - 6 spd manual trans.

Ante

I think the new one is somewhat more peppy than the old. Hard to tell but that's my impression. It seems to have a bit more lower end torque than the other.

We have now gone through the first service with the car. No problems at all except one.

When we bought it I found a set of alloy wheels and put the new tires (that came with the car) on those and bought new winters for the steel wheels that came with the car. I had that done at a tire shop so last week I decided to change the all seasons to the winter tires. I usually do this myself in the driveway, using the jack that comes with the car.

When I tried to get the jack out of it's mounting in the car I found that both the bolt that holds it in place and the jack itself, were so tight that they wouldn't budge. I'm not weak and I couldn't move them. With the help of some tools I was able to get it loose but stripped several threads on the bolt. Fortunately it did not harm the threads on the female (car) bracket. I chased them with a tap but they were ok. The dealer replaced the bolt when I asked so no big deal.

Just a heads up to check to make sure that the jack is able to be removed by hand, without tools.

I haven't calculated the fuel mileage lately but according to the readout it seems to be consistent with the first few tanks. I have the details just haven't got around to making the calculations.

John.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Totally love the new version of this Mazda! I love the simplicity in the interior and the exterior shape! Love the way it drives. I must admit, it's still new and so far haven't got any issues with it, except of teh broken license plate bracket.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

theMazda777 - glad to hear you are happy with it.

We have had another problem with the car - not a big deal but worth mentioning. Before Christmas and again now we had a spell of colder weather - below -10C over the day and down to perhaps -15C at night. I have a block heater on the car and it's plugged in about 2 hours before use so the engine is not totally cold. The computer that governs the sound system and navigation (ie the screen on the dash) has been shutting down and rebooting once to three times when we leave home. Usually we drive about 10 to 12 km. to the gym and it shuts down near the start of the trip. On the way back it's ok.

I took it in to the dealer before Christmas and they figured it was due for a software update - which they did no the spot - full credit to them. That did no cure the problem although it warmed up to just below zero C around Christmas and it didn't seem to happen as much. I spoke to the service dept. and they asked me to remove my usb stick (mp3's) and see if the problem persisted. I did that and had the local radio on and noticed the same thing happening once or twice when we first left the house. When the usb stick is being used the sound shuts off totally, however when the radio is in use sound continues. Due to the holiday I haven't got back to the dealer so will be in touch with them later this week.

I suspect it has to do with the colder weather but that is only a wag.

Otherwise happy with the car and with new winter tires it handles very well.

John.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I should add one more thing. Late in the fall I purchased front floor mats - 3d maxpider. These mats are great - light and fit like a glove. I have no association with the company but am really happy with their product. I didn't bother with rear mats a we seldom have passengers.

John.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An update. We have about 7000 km on the car now so are quite familiar with it. I bought a set of hercules new winter tires last summer and had them installed on the steel rims that came with the car. I put them on in late October and have found that they are quite quiet - more so than the stock all seasons that came with the car. They seem to handle well on snow and ice but I haven't really given them a workout so take that opinion with a few grains of salt.

As mentioned earlier we had a problem with the computer crashing and taking down the sound, navigation etc. It would reboot and everything worked however it would do this about 3 times in a 10 km trip - generally when the outside temp. was below about -2C. I had a feeling that it was temperature related and that it might be some component of the computer that was located in the passenger compartment. I kept track of it for a month or so and we took it in for 3 recall notices and a service early this week. I gave the dealer the option of keeping over two days so that it would be cold in the mornings.

The dealer discussed the problem with Mazda in Ontario and tried removing my usb stick (mp3's). That did not help (as I had earlier discovered). They replaced the navigation SD card and it appears that it is now fixed. We have driven it two mornings with the temperature at about -10C and have had no problems.

So it appears that the car is up to date and running well - we are quite happy with it.

John.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12