Thread: Black 2014 mazda3's scratch more often?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Black 2014 mazda3's scratch more often?

Hoping it's not just me, but I have a 2014 Mazda3 GS in black, it's the first car I ever bought so perhaps I'm just noticing it more but I get so many scratches it's starting to get annoying. Minor rock chicks, or perhaps someone's door in a parking lot. It's like I'm always finding a new white scratch. I never noticed an issue on other black cars. Does the paint Mazda use just scratch more easily or do I just need to give it a good wax? Or just accept that black cars may show scratches more than others.

I've used scratch removals and it works on some, also tried using touch up paint (with and without a brush).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Black 2014 mazda3's scratch more often?

Black is the hardest colour to keep clean and shows every single scratch, mark or dent. That's why I will never buy a black colour car again. White and silver are the best colours for hiding the aforementioned issues.
    2014 Mazda 3 Sport GT
    OEM Roof Rack | Tints | Gloss Black Vinyl Wrapped Roof and Side Mirrors | Dark Bronze Powder Coated OEM Rims | Yellow Fogs | Racing Beat Exhaust | Racing Beat Springs | Racing Beat FSB | Corksport SRI | Corksport RSB | Corksport FSTB | JL JX1000/1D | 2 JL 10TW3-D4

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get some black coloured wax! They're great at hiding tiny marks. Do yourself a favour and get a paint pen while you're at it!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dukes29 View Post
    Hoping it's not just me, but I have a 2014 Mazda3 GS in black, it's the first car I ever bought so perhaps I'm just noticing it more...
    ^^This. It usually takes a few new cars before you just accept the fact you're going to get dings, rock chips etc. All you can do is take precautions as best you can (park away from other cars, don't follow too closely etc.) but in the end it's a depreciating asset and even if you kept it in a showroom and never drove it it's losing money every day. Having said that black is not the best colour if you're trying to not notice dirt, imperfections etc. Try silver next time.

Just drive it and enjoy it, it's a Mazda !
    Current fleet: 2016 Mazda MX-5 GT 6MT, 2015 Mazda3 GT 6MT, 2011 Mazda CX-7 GX 5AT, 2010 Mazda3 GT 6MT, 2010 Mazda3 GT 5AT
    Retired: 2009 Mazda3 GT, 2009 Mazda5 GT, 2001 Mazda Protege ES, 2001 Mazda MPV ES, 1999 Mazda Protege LX, 1997 Mazda Protege SE, 1988 Mazda 626 Turbo, 1988 Mazda 323 LX, 1987 Mazda 323 LX

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

People love black cars....ONCE!

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to eShine.ca For This Useful Post:

Kiewan (05-17-2016),Mazduh (06-06-2016),ShibbyDibbyDoo (05-17-2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know about that, I'm on my second in a row

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 700 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

All I see nowadays are the swirls from the previous owner, dust, pollen this time of year (yellow), clear coat scratches, stone chips, parking lot dings, rust spots .... the list goes on and on. Any imperfection is obvious....

I'll never buy a black car EVER again if I can avoid it..... BUT.... when its clean, driving around at night with the street lights shining off the car, that's pretty nice.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eShine.ca View Post
    People love black cars....ONCE!
    HAH! it took me 4 black cars before i wised up, slow learner Still love to see a freshly detailed black car but don't miss the headaches.

Pat.

2010 Mazda3 GT Sport..

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dont think mazda painting is the point here.

As other said, black is the color where scratches and minor imperfections are the most visible.

As for other people car, it's perfectly normal you see them brighter because you don't know where are the scratches or marks at first
    And you saw your car everyday and notice any microscratch.

I used to have black cars too, now I own a second hand mazda 3 celestial blue which as more imperfections than my previous black metal toyota and yet, seems in better shape globally.

All you can do is take very good care of it, avoid washing it every weekend, and take distance from others, especially on parking lots.

Envoyé de mon KIW-L21 en utilisant Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've found it's impossible to keep your car spotless. just gotta be careful all around to avoid those marks. dont drive behind trucks. park far from ppl in the parking lot. wax/polish/compound/clay consistently. stuff like that. i got a black car too so i feel the pain. good thing is, when it's all clean, it's the BEST. as opposed to when it's dirty, its the worst lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dukes29 View Post
    Hoping it's not just me, but I have a 2014 Mazda3 GS in black, it's the first car I ever bought so perhaps I'm just noticing it more but I get so many scratches it's starting to get annoying. Minor rock chicks, or perhaps someone's door in a parking lot. It's like I'm always finding a new white scratch. I never noticed an issue on other black cars. Does the paint Mazda use just scratch more easily or do I just need to give it a good wax? Or just accept that black cars may show scratches more than others.

I've used scratch removals and it works on some, also tried using touch up paint (with and without a brush).
    To cut costs manufacturers have reduced amount of paint applied to vehicle = thinner paint = more scratches/chips. Hyundai paint is incredibly thin thus scratches easily. I used to wrap vehicles and we had to be EXTREMELY careful when applying any decals to Hyundai's. I don't expect Mazda to be any different.