Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Coin Holder Install Help!

  1. #1
    Jr Member Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Calgary, AB Canada
    Posts
    288
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question Coin Holder Install Help!

    Hey guys, it's been ages since I've logged in.

    Let me first preface my comments by saying I did use the 'search field'.

    When I owned my last Gen 1 (07 hatch), I bought the JDM coin holder using the part number that was posted here. My local dealer actually had one (had to blow the dust off of it) but never actually got around to installing it.

    I have a different one now (08 sedan), and I'm starting to mod it after having if for a couple of years. all the comments I had read about the coin holder is "oh, so easy to install! All you need is a precision screwdriver!"

    The one I bought based off of the part number (pictured on the right) is really long, and doesn't line up right. Even taking the back 'extension' off, it still doesn't line up right. So I just assumed I got the wrong one.

    I was on eBay recently and figured I'd solve this issue once and for all and paid THROUGH THE NOSE for one that The Speedline (pictured on the left) listed as compatible.

    I think you see where this is going... It doesn't fit either.

    Can someone confirm which one is the correct part, and tell me if I'm missing a step or something? Thanks for any help you can give me. I'm so very frustrated.
    Last edited by cwp_sedan; 06-22-2016 at 01:23 PM.
    2008 3 GT Sedan

  2. #2
    Jr Member Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Calgary, AB Canada
    Posts
    288
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Coin Holder Install Help!

    Last edited by Pivot; 06-22-2016 at 11:11 AM. Reason: Derp...

  3. #3
    Moderator S.F.W.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North York
    Age
    39
    Posts
    17,966
    Thanks
    915
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 696 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Coin Holder Install Help!

    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

  4. #4
    Moderator cwp_sedan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    GTA
    Age
    36
    Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Posts
    14,731
    Thanks
    495
    Thanked 254 Times in 149 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Coin Holder Install Help!

    @FLIPDADY ordered them when he was at MOT. Maybe he still remembers?

  5. #5
    Sr Member FLIPDADY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    11,415
    Thanks
    118
    Thanked 100 Times in 64 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Coin Holder Install Help!

    The blank should come out along with its backing. If you just popped out the face then the JDM coin holder will not fit in the old spot.


    This is what the blank and it's backing should look like:



    Hopes this helps.😊

    Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FLIPDADY For This Useful Post:

    cwp_sedan (06-22-2016),Pivot (06-24-2016)

  7. #6
    Moderator cwp_sedan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    GTA
    Age
    36
    Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Posts
    14,731
    Thanks
    495
    Thanked 254 Times in 149 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Coin Holder Install Help!

    I did find this thread

    http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...9-Coin-Holders

    Quote Originally Posted by MAZDA Kitten View Post
    there is this one...



    Part Number:G22C55225

  8. #7
    Sr Member FLIPDADY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    11,415
    Thanks
    118
    Thanked 100 Times in 64 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Coin Holder Install Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pivot View Post
    Hey guys, it's been ages since I've logged in.

    Let me first preface my comments by saying I did use the 'search field'.

    When I owned my last Gen 1 (07 hatch), I bought the JDM coin holder using the part number that was posted here. My local dealer actually had one (had to blow the dust off of it) but never actually got around to installing it.

    I have a different one now (08 sedan), and I'm starting to mod it after having if for a couple of years. all the comments I had read about the coin holder is "oh, so easy to install! All you need is a precision screwdriver!"

    The one I bought based off of the part number (pictured on the right) is really long, and doesn't line up right. Even taking the back 'extension' off, it still doesn't line up right. So I just assumed I got the wrong one.

    I was on eBay recently and figured I'd solve this issue once and for all and paid THROUGH THE NOSE for one that The Speedline (pictured on the left) listed as compatible.

    I think you see where this is going... It doesn't fit either.

    Can someone confirm which one is the correct part, and tell me if I'm missing a step or something? Thanks for any help you can give me. I'm so very frustrated.
    Hard to tell from the pic but it looks like the backing of the blank is still there.

    Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to FLIPDADY For This Useful Post:

    cwp_sedan (06-22-2016)

  10. #8
    Moderator cwp_sedan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    GTA
    Age
    36
    Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Posts
    14,731
    Thanks
    495
    Thanked 254 Times in 149 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Coin Holder Install Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by FLIPDADY View Post
    Hard to tell from the pic but it looks like the backing of the blank is still there.

    Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk
    I was thinking the same thing actually.

  11. #9
    Jr Member Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Calgary, AB Canada
    Posts
    288
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Coin Holder Install Help!

    So that just gets finessed out of there somehow? I'll give it another go.

    So just to confirm, the one on the left is not correct?

  12. #10
    Sr Member FLIPDADY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    11,415
    Thanks
    118
    Thanked 100 Times in 64 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Coin Holder Install Help!

    Did you drop the side of the lower dash? That's the best way to access the switches.

    Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to FLIPDADY For This Useful Post:

    cwp_sedan (06-22-2016)

  14. #11
    Member ryan2.3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Roseville, MI
    Age
    32
    Ride
    '91 318i, '11 550i
    Posts
    1,393
    Thanks
    452
    Thanked 493 Times in 304 Posts
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Coin Holder Install Help!

    i took the extended bits on the end of mine off. HOWEVER, mine are from Mazda Proteges. Instead of paying the ridiculous amount they wanted for the euro coin holders, i paid $2 and got a bunch of them from the scrap yard (tons of proteges)

    The coin holders were "keyed" slightly different, in that there was a spline on one side of each one that i shaved off with a box cutter and then they snapped in super easy.
    I can try to pop one out to get a part number if you want

    Here's what my protege ones look like
    Last edited by ryan2.3; 06-22-2016 at 05:54 PM. Reason: fixed pic

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to ryan2.3 For This Useful Post:

    Pivot (06-24-2016)

  16. #12
    Member ds2chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    2,035
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Coin Holder Install Help!

    I didn't know these even existed. Does anybody know approximately how much they are? Thanks.
    Dave

  17. #13
    Member ryan2.3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Roseville, MI
    Age
    32
    Ride
    '91 318i, '11 550i
    Posts
    1,393
    Thanks
    452
    Thanked 493 Times in 304 Posts
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Coin Holder Install Help!

    If you get them online they're like $15 each. Get them from a junk yard and it's practically free

    EDIT:
    fixed pic above
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ryan2.3; 06-22-2016 at 05:55 PM.

  18. #14
    Jr Member Pivot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Calgary, AB Canada
    Posts
    288
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 5 Times in 1 Post
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Coin Holder Install Help!

    Thanks for all your help, everybody! I thought it was plug and play into the existing backer. I guess I have a new project for this weekend.

  19. #15
    Moderator cwp_sedan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    GTA
    Age
    36
    Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Posts
    14,731
    Thanks
    495
    Thanked 254 Times in 149 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Coin Holder Install Help!

    Quote Originally Posted by Pivot View Post
    Thanks for all your help, everybody! I thought it was plug and play into the existing backer. I guess I have a new project for this weekend.
    They are plug-and-play into the bracket holding the switches. That is if you get the one that's made for it. That's how mine was.

Similar Threads

  1. Getting the most out of the coin-op
    By Dreamliner in forum Exterior & Interior Maintenance
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 03-04-2010, 08:25 PM
  2. RE: US dollar coin
    By zoomzoom33 in forum General Lounge
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 11-07-2008, 04:22 PM
  3. Mazda OEM coin holder
    By FLIPDADY in forum Interior Styling & Appearance
    Replies: 47
    Last Post: 02-10-2008, 03:46 AM
  4. Coin Holder
    By BLKOUT in forum General Lounge
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-19-2007, 04:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •