Thread: Exhaust louder with weight in the rear (Racing Beat)

Jr Member
    Ride
    2012 Volvo C30 T5
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Exhaust louder with weight in the rear (Racing Beat)

So I just had a Racing Beat exhaust installed on my 2015 2.0l hatch (thanks Achilles!)

Over the past few weeks I've noticed something. With no cargo or passengers in the back the exhaust is barely audible. Occasionally I hear a nice tone in the cabin when cruising but otherwise it's pretty silent.

If I have a passenger or two in the back or carrying something remotely heavy (wheels for example) it's much louder and deeper. I wish I could always have this sound. The exhaust is always audible when accelerating and quiets down at cruise, which is more what I want :p

Is this normal? Haven't experienced this in other cars, but want to make sure I'm not out to lunch before raising a concern.
    Never stop zoom-zooming

Ride
    '98 BMW 750iL
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Exhaust louder with weight in the rear (Racing Beat)

Sounds like when your engine is working a bit harder because of the extra load, the extra exhaust volume puts the volume where you prefer it. Probably just means the exhaust is a bit quieter than you'd really prefer. The unfortunate solution is to try a different muffler.

If you were to do something like remove the OEM resonator, you'd likely get more drone while cruising, as well as the increased sound while accelerating. Not ideally what you've asked for.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Aitch For This Useful Post:

p-o-g-i (08-21-2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, more engine load = more noise, my friend
    2010 Mazda 3 GT Sedan - Graphite Mica

| Enkei Raijin+Michelin PSS | Rays lug nuts | RoadMagnet+Koni Yellow | SPC Cam.Arm | CS F Strut bar+MidBrace | JBR RSB | CS SRI+AirBox | Racing Beat Exhaust | Amsoil Signature Series 0W20&ATF | CS LED Light kit | CS LED DRL | Corksport LED fogs | Smoked Head & Tail Lights | CS LED 3rd brake | LED Projector Reverse light | FormulaOne Pinnacle series tints | Mazda3 Weathertech Floorliner & Trunkliner | Scuff Plates | Window Visors | OEM Side Skirts | Bosch Icon | CS Tow Plate | CS Hood Dampers |

Jr Member
    Ride
    2012 Volvo C30 T5
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds like I am indeed out to lunch. I guess I've got spoiled by the Volvo's extra torque too long and made an unfair comparison. Thanks gents!

I'm going to accept this exhaust for what it is because it looks so good and is very comfy, no annoying drone. I mean look at that booty

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dubcee For This Useful Post:

p-o-g-i (08-21-2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Love the subtle sound of the Racing Beat, perfect exhaust imo.
    2014 Mazda 3 Sport GT
    OEM Roof Rack | Tints | Gloss Black Vinyl Wrapped Roof and Side Mirrors | Dark Bronze Powder Coated OEM Rims | Yellow Fogs | Racing Beat Exhaust | Racing Beat Springs | Racing Beat FSB | Corksport SRI | Corksport RSB | Corksport FSTB | JL JX1000/1D | 2 JL 10TW3-D4

Ride
    2007 Mazdaspeed
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm about to pull the trigger on this exhaust I think in the next coming months ( Spent money on tires, brakes, and intake, and now a body kit this month). Wanted to ask if you would do it all over again. Or would you go to a different exhaust. It sounds like you wanted what I want, like what I want in the sound from the great description you have given. My friend has the magnaflow exhaust with K&n Intake( on his 2015 gt manual) and is really nice sounding. He only grabbed it as I told him it was the setup I was going to run.... What was the wait time on the exhaust if any... My friends installed price with the K&N SRI, and magnaflow cat back was $1100. Were you around that price point?

Jr Member
    Ride
    2012 Volvo C30 T5
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have decided to write a review on this, now that this question is answered.

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...80#post1332980

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice look exhaust,
    My corksport power series is pretty loud especially when you gas it up but so far no issues with the popops.
    One thing i like is the throaty sound that it gives when it has either low gas or full tank... im still trying to figure what makes it as such lol