Thread: Any recommendations for windshield replacement in Toronto/Scarborough?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Any recommendations for windshield replacement in Toronto/Scarborough?

Stone hit my windshield on the 401 and has caused a crack starting at the edge and running about 8" across and up in front of the driver's side. Looks almost certainly to be needing replacement.
    We don't seem to have any glass sponsors on here so I've searched the board and not found very much about windshields in recent times.

In the distant past Pedro at Speedee Gonzales seems to have had rave reviews but I can't find any web presence for Speedee now so has he shut up shop? Or has he changed name?? A Google search for 'speedee gonzales toronto' goes to "Star Auto Glass" but has absolutely no mention on the website of the words speedee or gonzales.

Star, Apple, Sprint, Auto Glass Canada, ... all seem to look professional enough based on what I see on their websites and on the odd reviews I've found elsewhere on yelp and BBB.

I've a $500 deductible on my comp insurance, and it's a 2008 Mazda3.
    A couple of places seem to say they'll cover at least a part of the deductible but I've heard in the past some of them can just be cut-price and not good for long-term (leaks, noises, etc)

Any recommendations or places to definitely avoid? Also any approximate idea of what I should expect the replacement to cost?

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Any recommendations for windshield replacement in Toronto/Scarborough?

Speedee Gonzales is mobile so he doesn't have a shop because he comes to you. I've used him once and he does a great job. I hope he's still in business. Give him a call. (416) 908-8526

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jackal For This Useful Post:

cwp_sedan (07-02-2016),llama (07-03-2016)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Any recommendations for windshield replacement in Toronto/Scarborough?

I wouldn't use insurance... Deductible is higher then the cost of a windshield. I got a 2008 Mazda 3 and I paid under $300 from Apple auto glass

(I don't live in Toronto area)
    ​A lion would never cheat on his wife, but a Tiger Wood.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aris For This Useful Post:

cwp_sedan (07-04-2016),llama (07-03-2016)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks aris and Jackal,
    Good to know yours was around $300. I had no idea at all what to expect.

I'll call around for a couple of estimates first to make sure of my bearings and then try calling Pedro to see if that number is still active for him.

Will post back with my findings so others in the future might be able to benefit in some way from the info.

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by llama View Post
    Thanks aris and Jackal,
    Good to know yours was around $300. I had no idea at all what to expect.

I'll call around for a couple of estimates first to make sure of my bearings and then try calling Pedro to see if that number is still active for him.

Will post back with my findings so others in the future might be able to benefit in some way from the info.
    Pedro has two types of windshield glass to choose from: one is non-oem cheaper one and the other one is an oem more expensive alternative. I'd go with an oem type one. Good luck.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Jackal For This Useful Post:

llama (07-06-2016)

Ride
    '98 BMW 750iL
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also may be more expensive if you need the version with the rain sensor in it, I believe.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Aitch For This Useful Post:

llama (07-06-2016)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    Also may be more expensive if you need the version with the rain sensor in it, I believe.
    Mine has rain sensor
    Last edited by aris; 07-04-2016 at 06:39 PM.

Ride
    '98 BMW 750iL
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    Mine had rain sensor
    Oh cool, less expensive than I imagined then.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Aitch View Post
    Oh cool, less expensive than I imagined then.

If they change the sensor then yes it's more money but they reuse same sensor

Ride
    '98 BMW 750iL
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    If they change the sensor then yes it's more money but they reuse same sensor
    See I didn't know that was possible either. Good info.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

An update now I've got the windshield replaced. It was just a basic 2008 Mazda 3 windshield, no rain sensors or anything special. I got some estimates from a couple of places as follows:

Apple Auto Glass - phone quote was for $379.95 and they only deal with OEM glass. Apple don't do mobile work but their sister company, Speedy, do that. They said Speedy would give the same price. 1-888-Speedy8. Didn't call them as I got other better prices instead.

Sprint Auto Glass - phone quote I got was $170, 'just call when you're ready and we'll come and do it'. I didn't check at the time if that was for OEM or not, but can only imagine that's not OEM glass for that price. I tried calling again the next day to ask but there was no reply; just a message "the customer is unavailable". I tried calling them on a second number (the one listed at BBB) and got the same message. At BBB I noticed this time that although they have an A+ rating there were 2 complaints filed against them in the two years they've been BBB accredited. Both complaints were resolved, but still... didn't build confidence.

Auto Glass Canada - On Saturday I'd requested a quote from their website online. Until now no response to that request. I phoned yesterday and asked for a quote and was told $385 all-in. They only deal in OEM glass.

Called Pedro at the number Jackal provided. He said $200 installed for non-OEM or $260 for OEM glass.
    He said his shop is out at 400/Finch or he could have it done mobile.
    I went with Pedro for the OEM glass at $260 and they came to me here in Scarborough.

They just finished a while ago. Two Iraqi guys as it turned out; both really nice guys and did good work as far as I could tell. Done in 40 minutes. Yellow masking tape along the top is supposed to not be removed for 24 hours, and no car wash for the next 5-7 days. Their business card was for "Advantage Auto Glass" out near 400/Finch at 1 High Meadow Place, so I gather that either Pedro now works or owns that place instead of Speedee Gonzales, or else he passes work on to them.
    Afterwards I checked Advantage out online to see what presence they have and they have their own website which states they're BBB accredited, but BBB says they're not although there are no complaints against them and they show up with an A+ rating.
    They assured me they back up their work if I have any problems with it they'll sort it, and I tend to believe them. They seemed really good.

Anyway, hope this info is maybe helpful to anyone else in the near future who might be looking for windshield repairs/replacements.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to llama For This Useful Post:

Aitch (07-06-2016),Cjcoolen (07-06-2016),Firefox444 (06-10-2020),Jackal (07-06-2016),ooltra (07-09-2016)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Theres an auto glass repair shop that I got to in the North York Area. They are really good and offer low prices. They don't charge for quotes and they even come to you if you don't want to travel.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MazdaDigital For This Useful Post:

muchikori (02-23-2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My windshield recently took a rock on the 401 that quickly turned into an 18" crack. I've called around to a few places for quotes and got wildly different answers. Just in case anyone finds it useful, I have included the information below. For reference, my car is a 2014 Mazda 3 Sport GT. It has a rain sensor but none of the other features involving windshield sensors (e.g. lane departure, etc.):

1. Budget Auto Glass - A small "mom and pop" operation that only has a few reviews online, but all positive. They were also featured in a 2013 Globe and Mail article. They do on-site repairs (e.g. come to your house). They quoted me $380 +tax.
    2. Speedy Auto Glass - Quoted me $515 +tax.
    3. My local Mazda dealership (Gyro Mazda) - Quoted me $840 +tax.

I couldn't believe the range in prices. I assume that the Mazda quote is for OEM glass. Speedy said they use OEE glass (i.e. aftermarket). I forgot to ask Budget but I assume they also use OEE. Still deciding which one to go with, or if I should get a fourth quote.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a small chip on my previous vehicle and took it to these guys and they did great. https://sprintautoglass.ca/
    Ask for free estimate