Thread: So what should I do about shocks?

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default So what should I do about shocks?

One of my OEM rears on my gen2 has gone bye bye. Kinda shamed I didn't noticed it sooner as I was thinking this car's doing a fair bit of hip wiggle left turning over intersection for a few months now. Blame it on having a new born to take care of.

Anyhow, so now my mech some grizzled chinese guy who thinks nothing's worth doing until it's broken is suggesting KYB replacements. Which I am not so sure about as everyone seems to think the MS3 has different shocks. Although, it would appears the part numbers are the same for the gen2 as the regular 3 for the rear shocks.

So I put it to you guys the question of what I should do. Keep in mind this is just a DD that I will keep for another few years and then likely replace it with something more "interesting". So I am not inclined to spent too much.

Also, since the car's going to be in the shop would it be worth the effort to change the fronts as well? Or just say oh well 3 more years and another 80k and it's new car time so lets just be cheap? Asking this because in general the car just doesn't feel like it did when new.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: So what should I do about shocks?

I put kyb years ago... They have life time warranty ( last year I had to replace them again under warranty)

i Wouldn't change the struts out front of their still good (I'm still with my original sturts) my has 252,000km and I'm lowered so don't waste your money if still good
    Last edited by aris; 09-06-2016 at 11:34 AM.
    ​A lion would never cheat on his wife, but a Tiger Wood.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 643 Posts
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Change the one rear shock with another OEM and call it a day. At worst, do both rears together as the other one is likely to fail soon too. Mismatching the 4 corners isn't a good idea, and why incur the extra expense? Plus the OEM shocks on the Gen2 aren't all that bad and 90% of aftermarket suspension setups I've felt just suck.

- 2021 Porsche Macan GTS -
    - 2016 Lexus NX200t F Sport -
    - 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 Black Mica - SOLD -

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. Figures as much made the order for the OEMs rears and called it a day.