Thread: 2014 Mazda3 2.0L Mods

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 2014 Mazda3 2.0L Mods

Hey guys, I just picked up this car a few months ago and was wondering what mods are recommended for performance. I was looking into a SRI, and Axle back exhaust but I heard you can have similar performance gains by replacing the mufflers in the exhaust. I was looking at the corksport SRI but just want some feedback on what else would be available. I am regularly around the Newmarket area for work. Any feedback on shops around this area and recommended SRIs and other mods would be great.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2014 Mazda3 2.0L Mods

Should of got a 2.5

Sent from my S7 Edge using Tapatalk
    2010 GT MZ3 2.5 MSDS Headers, Custom Tune, CS SRI,CS Full CBE,CS LED conversion, 3K HID fogs, 15%Tints,Koni Str.T H&R Sport Lowering Springs, Speed3 Rims, duel 12''MTX subs, Vinyl Wrap Roof,Mirrors,Spoiler

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Canadianbacon View Post
    Should of got a 2.5

Sent from my S7 Edge using Tapatalk
    I'm not unhappy at all with the performance and fuel economy, it does what I need it to. I was just wondering what parts are good to put on because I like modding, and want to put on fairly inexpensive things to change the sound and throttle response.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan042 For This Useful Post:

Default User (09-07-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

SRI and Axleback is a good start. Not gonna gain anything - but it will feel peppier.

Lower it - eibach ProKits
    Suck it - corksport SRI
    Blow it - Magnaflow muffler

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Default User For This Useful Post:

Ryan042 (09-07-2016)

Jr Member
    Ride
    2012 Volvo C30 T5
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Give it grip - summer tires
    Help it exploit that grip - alignment, rear sway bar, suspension
    Tighten the nut in front of the steering wheel - take advanced driver training and do autocross
    Help it stop - summer tires, performance pads and rotors
    Make it sound good - axle back exhaust
    Never stop zoom-zooming

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Dubcee For This Useful Post:

Ryan042 (09-07-2016)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Default User View Post
    SRI and Axleback is a good start. Not gonna gain anything - but it will feel peppier.

Lower it - eibach ProKits
    Suck it - corksport SRI
    Blow it - Magnaflow muffler
    I don't think I'm going to lower it because I'm going to drive it during winter too. Are there any good shops around to buy the SRI and muffler?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dubcee View Post
    Give it grip - summer tires
    Help it exploit that grip - alignment, rear sway bar, suspension
    Tighten the nut in front of the steering wheel - take advanced driver training and do autocross
    Help it stop - summer tires, performance pads and rotors
    Make it sound good - axle back exhaust
    Nice, do you have any suggestions for summer tires, and would it be better to stay at 16 or go to 17? Also what rims would you recommend if going to 17?

What does tightening the nut do? Would this car actually be able to compete in auto cross? I just daily drive it now

Jr Member
    Ride
    2012 Volvo C30 T5
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan042 View Post
    Nice, do you have any suggestions for summer tires, and would it be better to stay at 16 or go to 17? Also what rims would you recommend if going to 17?

What does tightening the nut do? Would this car actually be able to compete in auto cross? I just daily drive it now
    Tires: Continental ExtremeContact DW are my.goto. Cheap, grippy, comfortable. Perfect DD summer tire. If you want to prioritize comfort, stay with 16s. If you want more steering response at the cost of some comfort and price, 17. As for wheels, Fast and Tire Rack have plenty of selection and nice preview tools, but avoid heavy wheels (over 19 pounds) as they will kill steering response.

The Nut: The nut in front of the steering wheel is you! By taking advanced driver training you will be able to see farther, brake harder, turn faster, drive smoother and more, all for much less than a collection of suspension mods. Suspension mods will increase your car's abilities but unless you are pro you will not be anywhere near the stock car's abilities.

I'm not talking Young Drivers or something. I'm talking learning to handle your car at its limits, and learning where they are. I highly recommend www.carcontrolschool.com as the instructors are all from racing backgrounds and you learn in your own car.

As for autocross, I recommend it not to compete to win, but to compete against yourself and sharpen your own skills. It's excellent vision and at-the-limit practice while being safe and very cheap.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Dubcee For This Useful Post:

Ryan042 (09-07-2016)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tires: Continental ExtremeContact DW are my.goto. Cheap, grippy, comfortable. Perfect DD summer tire. If you want to prioritize comfort, stay with 16s. If you want more steering response at the cost of some comfort and price, 17. As for wheels, Fast and Tire Rack have plenty of selection and nice preview tools, but avoid heavy wheels (over 19 pounds) as they will kill steering response.

The Nut: The nut in front of the steering wheel is you! By taking advanced driver training you will be able to see farther, brake harder, turn faster, drive smoother and more, all for much less than a collection of suspension mods. Suspension mods will increase your car's abilities but unless you are pro you will not be anywhere near the stock car's abilities.

I'm not talking Young Drivers or something. I'm talking learning to handle your car at its limits, and learning where they are. I highly recommend www.carcontrolschool.com as the instructors are all from racing backgrounds and you learn in your own car.

As for autocross, I recommend it not to compete to win, but to compete against yourself and sharpen your own
    skills. It's excellent vision and at-the-limit practice while being safe and very cheap.
    I was looking at those tires but they don't come in the 60 sidewall, are there any others that come in 205/60R16? Haha totally missed the thing about the nut, I'll check it out for sure thanks!

Jr Member
    Ride
    2012 Volvo C30 T5
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately there's no summer tires I can find with a 60 sidewall :/ I run 205/55/16 without issue. Your speedometer will read 103 when you're actually going 100. Per every 100km travelled your odometer will add 103 (an extra 3000km for every 100,000km travelled).

Hopefully this situation changes soon. But in the meantime, no big deal.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dubcee For This Useful Post:

Ryan042 (09-07-2016)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately there's no summer tires I can find with a 60 sidewall :/ I run 205/55/16 without issue. Your speedometer will read 103 when you're actually going 100. Per every 100km travelled your odometer will add 103 (an extra 3000km for every 100,000km travelled).

Hopefully this situation changes soon. But in the meantime, no big deal.
    I may just go up to 17" after winter then depending on what I can find, are there any all seasons that are comparable? I'm mainly going to be using the car for commuting, and really just want something better than the stock avids. I'm going to run the Continential WinterContact Si for the winter.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't think I'm going to lower it because I'm going to drive it during winter too. Are there any good shops around to buy the SRI and muffler?
    I believe Nextmod Mississauga sells and installs

ProKits are a mild drop with factory-like ride quality. Many members have gone with ProKits on their DD's.

I may just go up to 17" after winter then depending on what I can find, are there any all seasons that are comparable? I'm mainly going to be using the car for commuting, and really just want something better than the stock avids. I'm going to run the Continential WinterContact Si for the winter.
    17's or 18's in summer
    16's for winter

IMO - tires are important - but people tend to go overkill for their style of driving.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Default User For This Useful Post:

Diflexster12 (12-30-2020),Ryan042 (09-07-2016)

Jr Member
    Ride
    2012 Volvo C30 T5
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not any 16s with a 60 sidewall. But there's plenty of 17" summers available in 205/50/17, many of which are cheaper than all seasons

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Dubcee For This Useful Post:

Ryan042 (09-07-2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Off the top of my head-
    195-65-16 and 215-55-16 would be comparable sizes too.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Default User For This Useful Post:

Ryan042 (09-07-2016)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 700 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

It might be worth waiting till spring for Early bird sales + rebates.

I am very happy with the Bridgestone Potenza RE760 Sport (17" - 205/50R/17) I picked them up on sale from Simply tire (TM3 Sponsor) this past spring and also received a $70 mail in rebate prepaid VISA from Bridgestone. My second choice was the Continentals listed below.

Rims: I have had good experiences with the FAST wheels I picked up for my dad's car. Good quality, fair price and great selection.

Prokits are a safe drop, I have had them for 3 winters so far and have had no issues - driving from. TO to Huntsville

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiewan For This Useful Post:

Diflexster12 (12-30-2020),Ryan042 (09-07-2016)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are there any downsides to lowering? I'm very hesitant to do it as I don't want to really mess with the life of the shocks and I'm still under warranty. I'm definitely going to wait till spring, I want to get a set of black rims anyways as I have a black sedan and I really want to black out the car. I like the styling of the Rays TE rims but I've heard they're expensive, the fast hayaku rims are nice but they're apparently around 22 pounds each.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 700 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Are there any downsides to lowering? I'm very hesitant to do it as I don't want to really mess with the life of the shocks and I'm still under warranty. I'm definitely going to wait till spring, I want to get a set of black rims anyways as I have a black sedan and I really want to black out the car. I like the styling of the Rays TE rims but I've heard they're expensive, the fast hayaku rims are nice but they're apparently around 22 pounds each.
    This is a good enough reason not to lower right now if you're worried.
    Downsides: increased wear on shocks/struts but many will swear that they have used prokits + OEM shocks/struts without issue.

Most aftermarket rims give a look of increased wheel gap on stock suspensions. This may not be so bad if you're going with black.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Kiewan For This Useful Post:

Ryan042 (09-07-2016)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gave Next Mod a call and they just have Injen SRI for $280, they didn't have any axle back exhausts. Is it worth getting the James barone racing one for a bit less money? Also is the filter wrap worth getting or not really needed?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't lower it is my advice. Wheel gap on the 2014s is small and warranty work around the suspension will be problematic if that's a concern. Otherwise, the SRI and Magnaflow is a great start. The one guy who mentioned the 2.5 said that because mods are more common on the 2.5 engine. Nextmod is the place to go like you said. You made a good decision there!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    69 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gave Next Mod a call and they just have Injen SRI for $280, they didn't have any axle back exhausts. Is it worth getting the James barone racing one for a bit less money? Also is the filter wrap worth getting or not really needed?
    I have the jbr sri with the waterproof jacket. And i dont have any problems with it, love the sound with magnaflow catback i would say if you get the jbr pair it with the wrap it will save you from changing the filter from time to time )

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ended up going with the K&N intake, it gave it a bit more performance, but it ate alot more gas especially with city driving. I went back to stock and it seemed to have returned to normal fuel efficiency.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The best mod you can do are the Tyres! Get some 18s

Look and performance, what more can you ask for!

Then Exhaust/SRI

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey I got a 2014 M3 Sedan anyway I can change the rear bumper so the exhaust tips show? If it's possible can i get a link where to buy? (NextMod?)
    I don't like the one it currently has and I don't want to trim it. Too much work and I don't know anyone with steady hands xD

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Funkybulletz View Post
    Hey I got a 2014 M3 Sedan anyway I can change the rear bumper so the exhaust tips show? If it's possible can i get a link where to buy? (NextMod?)
    I don't like the one it currently has and I don't want to trim it. Too much work and I don't know anyone with steady hands xD
    Unless you really don't like the bumper why not just change or extend the tips would be much easier
    Past Rides
    2001 Pontiac Grand Am GT
    2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP
    2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2012 Mazda 3 GX
    2009 Mazdaspeed3
    Current Ride
    2010 Mazda 3 Sport GT

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Check out tdotperformance online. They offer free shipping to most of Canada I think. I picked up my k&n Sri, magna flow cat back and a few other goodies from there. Quick shipping as well. Other then I had to wait for magna flow to build my exhaust but tdot took care of it all.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast