Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Seeking suspension overhaul advice

Hey gang,

I've just signed up for to the forum seeking advice on DIY repairs. I plan on replacing control arms, front shocks and stabilizer links, rear shocks, mounts, and sway bar links. I've picked up the tools (torque wrench, of course), have the service manual, and have watched so many YouTube videos I feel I could do the service without another glance.

A few questions before I order the parts:
    • When it comes to stabilizer/sway bar links, what's the difference between sealed units and those with grease fittings? Is there a tremendous difference in quality for these parts? (They seem fairly simple)
    • Is there anywhere in Toronto I can take the rear trailing links to have old bushings removed and new ones pressed in?
    • How bad (or good) are the generic shocks and control arms? (From China, I assume)

Also, the parts don't seem to include new nuts/bolts. I wouldn't mind replacing them where possible while I'm doing the service, how can I find the correct pieces?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Seeking suspension overhaul advice

Sorry, I thought the forum would automatically display my car info somewhere:

2008.5 Mazda 3 Sport GT 2.3L with all the extra trimmings

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sealed units don't allow you to regrease them. Greaseable units have grease nipples allowing you to periodically charge them with new lube. They're a nice to have and can last much longer than sealed units. I've never seen a link that hasn't come with hardware (sometimes the threads are different from manufacturer-to-manufacturer).

When it comes to brands; Moog, Mevotech and Monroe are great for small suspension bits. As for shocks, don't cheap out. KYB and OEM are your best bet if you're not trying to modify your car. That being said, the monroe quik-struts are garbage.

All I can suggest to you is: www.rockauto.com :p

Most garages have shop presses, but the rear trailing arms are cheap on rockauto anwyay. You may as well just replace them as a unit.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya rock auto is the way to go. If I can suggest one thing is it will be to put the ms3 rear sway bar with end links in the rear. Will improve the handling feel 100x without giving you a harsh ride. One of my favorite mods.