Thread: 2014 Mazda3 17" Wheels

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 2014 Mazda3 17" Wheels

I am thinking of using the stock 16" alloys from my 2014 Mazda3 GS for winter. This means I will need to buy new rims next year, and I am thinking of going up to 17" as there is more selection of performance tires. I want to keep the weight down as I believe the stock 16" rims are around 19lbs. Does anyone have any suggestions for rims that will be around the 16" weight? I like the style of the Volk TE37, and the 2008 Mazda MX-5 rims (the dealer wants $575 per rim), I don't want to drop that much money on rims though.

I have the opportunity to buy stock 2010 Mazda3 GT rims from a coworker, I believe he wants around $400. These are around 21lbs per rims though. Would I notice any difference or should I look for something lighter?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2014 Mazda3 17" Wheels

I would shop on Kijiji. You will find a good selection of OEM wheels if that is your plan. You will find alloys from people unloading them as well, though not all wheels will be in good shape.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to krash3 For This Useful Post:

Ryan042 (09-21-2016)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by krash3 View Post
    I would shop on Kijiji. You will find a good selection of OEM wheels if that is your plan. You will find alloys from people unloading them as well, though not all wheels will be in good shape.
    Which brand do you recommend that I look out for if not oem? I like the 10 spoke style of the mx-5 and te like wheels. The rims my coworker has are 22lbs a piece, would I notice this difference?

Jr Member
    Ride
    2012 Volvo C30 T5
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan042 View Post
    Which brand do you recommend that I look out for if not oem? I like the 10 spoke style of the mx-5 and te like wheels. The rims my coworker has are 22lbs a piece, would I notice this difference?
    Fast Wheels is a pretty decent quality, posts weights on their website, and their wheels are QA inspected in Canada (I think they're made in Thailand or Taiwan?)

Tire Rack can help you at least pick if not buy wheels. In addition to popular brands like Enkei, BBS, Sparco, OZ etc they have some smaller brands as well. I personally like Andros (in house brand for Tire Rack, my wheels have survived years of track days without fault). The site lists construction method, location and weight.

+3 pounds weight would definitely be noticeable in my opinion. The car would feel less nimble.
    Last edited by Dubcee; 09-21-2016 at 06:52 AM.
    Never stop zoom-zooming

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dubcee For This Useful Post:

Ryan042 (09-21-2016)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dubcee View Post
    Fast Wheels is a pretty decent quality, posts weights on their website, and their wheels are QA inspected in Canada (I think they're made in Thailand or Taiwan?)

Tire Rack can help you at least pick if not buy wheels. In addition to popular brands like Enkei, BBS, Sparco, OZ etc they have some smaller brands as well. I personally like Andros (in house brand for Tire Rack, my wheels have survived years of track days without fault). The site lists construction method, location and weight.

+3 pounds weight would definitely be noticeable in my opinion. The car would feel less nimble.
    Thanks, I looked up the Hayaku rims before and I thought they were a lot heavier but it seems they're only 19lbs. The FC03 are even lighter at 17lbs. They should be fairly well available too which is nice.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im keeping this thread alive.... since its the end of summer and rolling into fall maybe a good time to find a deal/sale on 17" rims. and maybe time for your car to go on diet too..lol

Something i have been thinking of all year (weight reduction) ..moving from OEM Alloy 16" (22lbs) to a larger rim even the RX8 R3 19" rims (same or heavier) ... After speaking to many peeps in TM3 and other clubs/garages ...if you want lighter rims go Enkei RPF1... 17x8 45off = 15.5 lbs (rubber weight remains approx same from 205/55/16 to 234/40/17)
    Who wants a 26 lbs loss on their car ? Now think about your battery (approx 40-60 lbs) and switching to Brielle lithium Battery at 5.5lbs (approx 45lbs less).
    Plus ...get rid of the spare tire and jack and your probably at 100lbs+ less... Its about a 1HP loss for every 10lbs of weight or about 0.01 sec off a 1/4 mile time.
    Plus ... gas weights alot too. 1litre of gas = 1.5 lbs. 60litres =90 lbs ...So when you are feeling the zoom zoom and want a spirited drive fill it only to 1/3 tank.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it might be easier to use one of the Tire Shop sponsors here on the board. They have access to lots of catalogs and specs if you are trying to reduce weight and also choose something you like.

They also know which are the good bad brands to look out for. Kijiji is good if you know exactly what you want and someone is selling at a good price. As it's a private sale, you'd also have to do your due diligence to confirm the condition of the wheels before the sale.

TM3 has sponsors in all parts of the city. As I'm out East, I go to Keith @ Exclusive Wheel and Tire in Ajax.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SonicBoy View Post
    it might be easier to use one of the Tire Shop sponsors here on the board. They have access to lots of catalogs and specs if you are trying to reduce weight and also choose something you like.

They also know which are the good bad brands to look out for. Kijiji is good if you know exactly what you want and someone is selling at a good price. As it's a private sale, you'd also have to do your due diligence to confirm the condition of the wheels before the sale.

TM3 has sponsors in all parts of the city. As I'm out East, I go to Keith @ Exclusive Wheel and Tire in Ajax.
    Hey Thanks...I'll have a look