Thread: Caliper Bushings?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Caliper Bushings?

Few days ago I replaced my rear rotors and pads. While doing so I noticed that the bushings for the driver side rear caliper bushing was pushing against the caliper guide pin thus not allowing to go in smoothly. For the passenger side, they are ripped. Before I continue, just want to say that both calipers are fine, no leaks or rips inside the actual boot. I went out and bought the caliper bushings the same day with my friend and for some reason I could not figure out a way to take it out (Did not want to spend more time on the brakes as it was getting darker). No biggie; finished installing rotors and pads decide to check out some indy garages to see if they can do it for a small fee.

Caliper Bushing

This is how it looks installed:

Got home and seen a video on it;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vowXvLwqjQ0

(looks straightforward enough).

Today I went to check out a 4 indy garages, main one is off this week. First guy told me to change both calipers, its cheaper that way..? (I bought the bushings for $15 for both calipers btw). I said I'll see went to another guy. That guy told me the samething until I told him I changed the rotors and pads, etc. and he said fine he'll do it some other time, busy today. 3rd guy I went to said np but come tomorrow. 4th guy told me what the first guy said and gave me a lecture on brake safety saying its not safe, etc.

So now I'm totally confused. Do I really need to change the calipers even though its fine? Is it 'safe' to only just change the caliper bushings like in the video? I'm also confident that I changed my brakes correctly through experience and youtube 😃

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Caliper Bushings?

i removed and serviced my caliper bushings using needle nose pliers and silicon spray
    you have to go slow, they will come out. Once out, i noticed there was salt build up or some sort of hardened white stuff, so i got a piece of sandpaper, rolled it up into a tube, and just went back and forth until it was clean ( couldnt find my drill wire brush attachment )
    lubed that thing up, reinstalled in the reverse order and now all is fine.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changing the bushings only is perfectly fine.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roachkillah View Post
    i removed and serviced my caliper bushings using needle nose pliers and silicon spray
    you have to go slow, they will come out. Once out, i noticed there was salt build up or some sort of hardened white stuff, so i got a piece of sandpaper, rolled it up into a tube, and just went back and forth until it was clean ( couldnt find my drill wire brush attachment )
    lubed that thing up, reinstalled in the reverse order and now all is fine.

Oh man, thanks for the replies. Yeah I noticed white hardened white stuff making it hard to remove. I'm going to jack up my car today and give it a try with the needle nose pliers and silicon spray. Was wondering if you put any lubricant outside of the caliper bushing sitting in between the caliper?

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can grease up the inside and outside of the bushing to make assembly much easier. Wipe off any excess. In the factory service manual, these are one-time use parts anyway. They should be replaced at every pad swap.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make sure you have a round file or Dremel tool to remove the white corrosion.
    Regards
    Shawn

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone. Jacked up the car today, was tough initially to get it out. Used a wired brush to clean out all the white hardened stuff, greased it up went in smooth.

Ride
    '91 318i, '11 550i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

got a part number for those bushings? now that it's parked for the winter, i may do this since i can take my time and not worry about having to finish within the day

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ryan2.3 View Post
    got a part number for those bushings? now that it's parked for the winter, i may do this since i can take my time and not worry about having to finish within the day
    Yep; Parts are from Carlson (D973) and the Part Number is 16113.