Thread: Did I get a good deal?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Did I get a good deal?

I'm a first time car buyer and I ended up getting a used 2015 Mazda 3 GS with the comfort package (no heated seats, leather wrapped steering wheel etc..boo lol). I got it in red.
    The car has 41,000Km on it and is in good condition.
    I traded in my 2006 Mazda 3 which was rushed to hell.
    The price listed by the dealership was 18K and I got it for $17,200 (before taxes) , which includes my trade in and the Mazda CPO program.
    So, Does this seem like I got a decent price? I'm genuinely very curious.

Lastly, they offered my rust protection and they offered to give me the 2 remaining Years on the extended warranty that the previous owner had for $645... Should I get the comprehensive warranty for another 2 years at that price?

Thanks!!

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Did I get a good deal?

Just took a quick look on autotrader, filtered by your stats (2015, mazda 3, GS trim, approximate kms) and it looks like you are right in the average price listings so I'd say your deal is fine. I am seeing a couple postings with lesser kms (15k) for around $16,000 though, but I am also seeing postings that are priced way more then what you got. Granted I don't know the specific packages each of those cars have but give or take...

In the end, I'd say don't worry about it, it's a sunk cost now, just be happy you got rid of your older 3. Though I must say you have a pretty bare bones car, but hey you still have the peppy 2.0L motor and without all those extra stuff you must be the lightest mazda 3 around, so that's a plus yea? And you can always upgrade exterior things later if you really wanted

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jessea14 View Post

Lastly, they offered my rust protection and they offered to give me the 2 remaining Years on the extended warranty that the previous owner had for $645... Should I get the comprehensive warranty for another 2 years at that price?

Thanks!!
    I think the warranty transfer is either free or relatively inexpensive, so $500-$600 for rust proofing is not a good deal.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mann.aye6 View Post
    Just took a quick look on autotrader, filtered by your stats (2015, mazda 3, GS trim, approximate kms) and it looks like you are right in the average price listings so I'd say your deal is fine. I am seeing a couple postings with lesser kms (15k) for around $16,000 though, but I am also seeing postings that are priced way more then what you got. Granted I don't know the specific packages each of those cars have but give or take...

In the end, I'd say don't worry about it, it's a sunk cost now, just be happy you got rid of your older 3. Though I must say you have a pretty bare bones car, but hey you still have the peppy 2.0L motor and without all those extra stuff you must be the lightest mazda 3 around, so that's a plus yea? And you can always upgrade exterior things later if you really wanted
    Thanks for the reply! Compared to my last Mazda 3, this one is anything but barebones haha. My new one has nav, backup cam, blue tooth, electric windows, doors etc. My old car had roll up windows lol. The only diff Renee between the comfort and convienece package is the heated seats no leather wrapped wheel and e-brake, no?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But they offered to give me the remaining 2 years on the extended bumper to bumper warranty for $640. The warranty covers all electrical issues as well, which I've been told is a concern with the newer mazdas

Thanks
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But they offered to give me the remaining 2 years on the extended bumper to bumper warranty for $640. The warranty covers all electrical issues as well, which I've been told is a concern with the newer mazdas
    If the previous owner had it, they are over charging you, they are essentially selling it to you at a very high price. Call Mazda Canada and inquire as to the cost to transfer MAP from owner to owner.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to S.F.W. For This Useful Post:

michaelm_ (10-03-2016)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S.F.W. View Post
    If the previous owner had it, they are over charging you, they are essentially selling it to you at a very high price. Call Mazda Canada and inquire as to the cost to transfer MAP from owner to owner.
    Well the previous owner paid for it and full and when he went to upgrade his car early they said that Mazda Canada would refund the dealership the remaining amount of $645 or I could buy it for the same amount. Does that make sense?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well the previous owner paid for it and full and when he went to upgrade his car early they said that Mazda Canada would refund the dealership the remaining amount of $645 or I could buy it for the same amount. Does that make sense?
    nope. I could be wrong but I would think they would refund the purchaser not the dealership. @Jeff-TheBiz can you confirm ?

Resident Deal Provider, UnHaggle Rep, CarCostCanada, EasyCarDiscount
    Ride
    2017 CX-5 GT w/ Tech
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by S.F.W. View Post
    nope. I could be wrong but I would think they would refund the purchaser not the dealership. @Jeff-TheBiz can you confirm ?
    If they gave the original owner an over allowance on the trade initially they may be getting it back from the next potential owner or it can be cancelled by them.

Very common.
    Damn you photobucket.....

Ride
    1993 Mazda Miata
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Only if a car is written off will Mazda allow a prorated refund on extended warranties. The only other way to a refund is singing up for XWRP. You have to still be the current owner and have 60 days to apply for a refund when the term comes due if you have not made any claims.

Look under your hood. If you have a corrosion module there is a fee to re-register. $600 is too much though.

Other than that sounds like a good deal.

Resident Deal Provider, UnHaggle Rep, CarCostCanada, EasyCarDiscount
    Ride
    2017 CX-5 GT w/ Tech
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After rereading the thread a few times, it doesn't look like the price of the Rust Protection was mentioned, however on a used car, I think you should be fine without.. just make sure there isn't any rust starting already.

As for transferring the warranty on a Rust Module, you would need to find out what company provided it and whether it has a transferable warranty, most do, but it will likely cost you $35 to transfer it, if the warranty has been upkept with the necessary inspections.

The stuff I sell doesn't require inspections to uphold the warranty.