Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Philips CrystalVision Still Yellow

Hi all,

I'm fairly new here but I did try to find my answer before posting. I replaced my OEM headlight bulbs with the Philips CrystalVision and they are supposed to be "bright white Xenon look". Now I understand it won't be white like HIDs but I was expecting something different, they look a warm yellow just like my OEM ones. Did I install them incorrectly (don't believe so), do I need to restore my headlights, or is there something else going on?

Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Philips CrystalVision Still Yellow

Nope.

You got lured in to believing they'll give off the HID look, just like many people before you.

Closest I've seen to the "white" light - is the Sylvania ones that cost the same price as a lower end HID kit - but with a 2 month shelf life.

Alternatively, you can look into LED headlights. The technology has made great strides, and is much more stable than before

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Default User View Post
    Nope.

You got lured in to believing they'll give off the HID look, just like many people before you.

Closest I've seen to the "white" light - is the Sylvania ones that cost the same price as a lower end HID kit - but with a 2 month shelf life.

Alternatively, you can look into LED headlights. The technology has made great strides, and is much more stable than before
    Some photos in the Amazon reviews show a whiter light in some cars, so I'm not sure if it's something to do with the vehicle or not.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Forget about crystal. Give diamond a try but kind of expensive in my opinion for something that don't exactly last very long. To be honestly, anything costs more than 40 just not worth the hassles. However, I personally had some good experience with both mtec cosmic blue and nokya cosmic blue which cost maybe half as much as those expensive ones and each last me about 2 years.

Sponsor - GTA Retrofits
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 541 Posts
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Nope.

Led is still terrible and won't compare to hid's, especially plug and play led bulbs. We go over this daily in the Facebook "Headlight Junkies" group.
    Either stay oem, or get a projector retrofit.
    Modifications? I've forgotten more than I remember. Click here for the list.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    Led is still terrible and won't compare to hid's, especially plug and play led bulbs. We go over this daily in the Facebook "Headlight Junkies" group.
    Either stay oem, or get a projector retrofit.
    Don't the 3's have projectors?

Sponsor - GTA Retrofits
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

They do, however they were designed for a bulb that is say 3 cm long (don't know actual length, just an example), and a hid or led bulb is 4 cm, so it will reflect differently, not as intended by the manufacturer of the headlight.

Also, while a halogen bulb or hid is longer and the entire portion of its length emits light, a led bulb only has 1 or 2 leds and therefore only emits light from that single spot. This gives it a nice hot spot, but no better than halogen/hid and because it's so focused, it has no width, and you can't see the side of the road well.

Also, if you're putting hid in a stock projector, it will eventually damage the chrome finish in the projector, either from heat (hid runs much hotter) and burnt or yellowing bowls are very common of pnp hid users. Also, hid emits uv rays which halogen projectors are not coated to resist against, and will break down the chrome and lead to crap output.

Hense why an actual projector retrofit is really the only way to go. Even I run my oem bulbs until I can get actual hid projectors in mine.

Sponsor - GTA Retrofits
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I actually came across exactly the "hid in a halogen bowl" symptoms yesterday in a wrx.

Excess heat is the cause of the smoking of the bowl. Also had some smoke on the interior on the lens.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does any bulb on the Gen One produce a white light or it will stay typical yellow due to the Highbeams?

http://www.piaa.com/store/p/60-9005-...gen-Bulbs.aspx

Can't believe these are 90 bucks...
    2008.5 Metropolitan Grey Mica Mazda 3 GT Hatch with Luxury Package DONE: OEM LED Side Mirror Turn Signals | TM3 Decals / Plates | Axela Badge | 3M Scotchguard Film on Front Hood / Fenders | Solarguard Quantum Tints 37% Front 28% Back | Flipkey | JDM Rainguards | MS3 Rear Valence | Super White LED Interior / Trunk / License Plate Lights | Smoked LED Sidermarkers | Powdercoated Blue 18" OZ Ultraleggera Rims | Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 | Blue Calipers with Gunmetal Axela Decals | HID 6000K/3000K with Yellow Film Fogs | Hella Tones | Rally Armor Mudflaps | Powdercoated Gunmetal Xenon Expert Aluminum Pedals | Clear Reflectors | Carbon Fibre Rear Emblem Insert | Redline Elite Hood Lifts | CP-E Tow Plate | Her: 2012 Sky Blue Mica Mazda 3 GS

Ride
    2010 MS3
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ogata View Post
    Does any bulb on the Gen One produce a white light or it will stay typical yellow due to the Highbeams?

http://www.piaa.com/store/p/60-9005-...gen-Bulbs.aspx

Can't believe these are 90 bucks...
    The bulbs you linked are only 4000k, that will still emit a yellowish light, despite what they call it "cool white, bright white etc".