Thread: Yorkdale Dufferin mazda/ oil change dates

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Yorkdale Dufferin mazda/ oil change dates

I just bought a used 2015 Mazda 3. All in all I would say it was a decent experience. They told me that the car needs to get the oil changed every 8000km or every 4 months at a cost of$70 at the dealership. Now, I am used to changing my oil every 5000km. They use synthetic oil. Does 8000 seem like a bit much? lastly, what if I only drive 3000-4000 km in the 4 month span between oil changes. I don't understand the every 4 months OR 8000 km. If I only drive a few thousand km in that span do I still need the oil changed?

Thanks!

Jr Member
    Ride
    2012 Volvo C30 T5
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Yorkdale Dufferin mazda/ oil change dates

8000km on synthetic is recommended in the service manual and is just fine on quality oil.

Every 4 months is a little excessive but the reason is, if the car is always sitting/frequently driven short distances and can't get to temperature, moisture collects in the oil. This moisture is usually burnt off while the engine is at proper temperature, but accumulates if it can't get a chance. This reduces the effectiveness of the oil and will eventually make a change necessary.

Regardless, if you don't follow the schedule, Mazda could deny warranty claims for defects that could be caused by poor oil quality.
    Never stop zoom-zooming

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dubcee View Post
    8000km on synthetic is recommended in the service manual and is just fine on quality oil.

Every 4 months is a little excessive but the reason is, if the car is always sitting/frequently driven short distances and can't get to temperature, moisture collects in the oil. This moisture is usually burnt off while the engine is at proper temperature, but accumulates if it can't get a chance. This reduces the effectiveness of the oil and will eventually make a change necessary.

Regardless, if you don't follow the schedule, Mazda could deny warranty claims for defects that could be caused by poor oil quality.
    Thanks for the great reply Dubcee. I drive on the highway at least once a week, sometimes more. Would that be suffice T to heat the car enough so moisture doesn't collect in the oil? I'm just concerned because I drive like 10-12000 km/year, that would mean 1-2 oil changes based on km's driven. So, should I follow the every 4 month rule regardless how little I drive in that time frame?

Jr Member
    Ride
    2012 Volvo C30 T5
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally would stick to the schedule. Not doing so would save you -maybe- 1 oil change per year. If the cost of 1 oil change per year is enough to break the bank then you've got more important problems than oil ;D

In exchange you maintain your warranty and will likely extend the life of the engine. No point neglecting such an expensive machine