Thread: Need recommendations - replacing front strut assembly and suspension ball joint

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Need recommendations - replacing front strut assembly and suspension ball joint

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if the community could provide me with any recommendations on where to go or on what prices I can expect to find for these particular services:
    -Front Suspension Ball Joints - "Front ball joints loose and worn" - Replacement required
    -Front Strut Assembly - "Assembly is leaking" - Replacement required.

I was quoted what I feel was a rather hefty price, but I admit my knowledge of about cars and the prices of any parts and labor is minimal.

This was my quote for a particular shop in downtown Toronto ($CDN Before taxes):

Suspension Ball Joint, Lower - Front ball joints loose and worn - Replacement Required
    Remove and Replace components as required to access and install materials, and/or perform needed service. Retest and verify
    repair as required. Perform final road test where applicable.
    Control Arm With Ball Joint 1 Unit $252.20 / Unit $252.20 EH
    Control Arm With Ball Joint 1 Unit $252.20 / Unit $252.20 EH
    Labor $300.00 EH
    Sub $804.40

Strut Assembly, Front - Assembly is leaking - Replacement Required - Will ruin new tires on car
    Remove and Replace components as required to access and install materials, and/or perform needed service. Retest and verify
    repair as required. Perform final road test where applicable.
    Front OESpectrum Strut 1 Unit $244.33 / Unit $244.33 H
    Front OESpectrum Strut 1 Unit $244.33 / Unit $244.33 H
    Labor $350.00 H
    Sub $838.66

Are these prices reasonable or ridiculous? Can anyone provide any information on the effects if I do not do this service anytime soon? Any other shops recommended for this type of service?
    As an FYI I was informed doing both at once would help me save on labor costs, but I can't remember how much. They also said a 4wheel alignment is necessary after doing suspension work which just adds to the bill.
    I'm looking at easily $2000 here for these services. I purchased my car used about 3 years ago for $6000 so it just feels like a huge hit considering how much I got my car for.

Any advice would be appreciated!
    Thanks

N.D.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Need recommendations - replacing front strut assembly and suspension ball joint

^^^ forgot to mention above I drive a 2007 Mazda 3 sedan 4door.

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Need recommendations - replacing front strut assembly and suspension ball joint

Get a quoted price from Mazda of Toronto parts department. Tell them you are a TM3 member because we get a discount. Make an appointment with Jimmy of Street Performance or another well-reviewed independent shop.

Street Performance - 1 (416) 450-6161

Edit: bring it to Jimmy first and ask him to check whether you need all those repairs first.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Need recommendations - replacing front strut assembly and suspension ball joint

Jimmy is the man. He installed my Koni Yellows a while back. Great value for his labor!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OEM control arms (ball joint is included, it comes as an assembly) are under $150 each with the TM3 discount at Mazda of Toronto
    OEM struts without the mount & coil are around $120-150ea, but I recommend replacing the mounts ($50ea) along with the struts. Those Monroe struts can be found for around $180 at TheWrenchMonkey.ca, but I went with the KYB instead to save $60 on the pair for similar quality/spec.

I just replaced the control arms and full struts on my car and I did it in around 4hrs. A seasoned mechanic with a hoist & better tools will do it faster.

Jimmy (Street Performance) would probably do all the labor for $200-300 is what I'm guessing (confirm with him), and you'd spend about $700-900 all in depending on which parts you choose and what Jimmy would charge you.
    2014 Mazda3 GS, 2.0L auto
    2010 Mazda3 GT, 2.5L auto