Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Compression Results

Hi Guys,

My car has 148k mainly stock. Recently did a compression test with results 150, 150, 150, 150. Dont know how to take this.. Would this be considered an ok reading ? My battery during the test was low and wondering if that affects the results. But no variance. Gonna try another gauge.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Compression Results

Was that with the car warm or cold? That seems low but they are dead even so that is a good sign for even wear. I would say the gauge is reading low or is faulty. @Vitamin M

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pwdunmore View Post
    Was that with the car warm or cold? That seems low but they are dead even so that is a good sign for even wear. I would say the gauge is reading low or is faulty. @Vitamin M
    Thank you sir ! Yes i will believe the numbers more once I re do the test with another gauge. The car was running for about 15 min coolant temp was 84 degrees so i am assuming it was up to temp. Did not run a wet test since all were the same and doubt that all are leaking equally. That would be a first lol. But it could be intake valves caked equally. Need to do more tests but was just wondering what you guys thought. The car runs great otherwise.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin M View Post
    Thank you sir ! Yes i will believe the numbers more once I re do the test with another gauge. The car was running for about 15 min coolant temp was 84 degrees so i am assuming it was up to temp. Did not run a wet test since all were the same and doubt that all are leaking equally. That would be a first lol. But it could be intake valves caked equally. Need to do more tests but was just wondering what you guys thought. The car runs great otherwise.
    You're car was not up to temp, you're coolant gauge needs to be in the middle to be "warmed" up but even then the oil is not up to temp.

Take your car for quick 10 minute drive, let things cool down enough to touch stuff but still hot to be at operating temperature.
    My car pulls (-8.5) to (-9.0) psi when cold and (-10.5psi) when warmed up @ idle. So if you have an accessport or other monitoring device check your vacuum and it should give you a good indication when things are warmed up and sealed. @Vitamin M

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very good tip man thank you. I am using torque with the mazdaspeed PIDs. Since i have been stock mainly never got a AP. If i determine that compression is good i will be modding it more. Are you from GTA ?

Ride
    ZX-6R
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I recommend driving your car for longer like others have mentioned so your car can get up to operating temperature (oil and coolant). However, if your compression tests remain that low it's not necessarily the worst thing, especially since all four cylinders are the same number (even wear). Though, I'd recommend doing a leak down test to see if there are any issues internally within the engine. If the leak down doesn't show anything of concern then continue driving your car, but if it does you might need to rebuild the engine/replace it.
    2011 MAZDASPEED3 Hypnotic Tuned - Rob
    CPE HPFP - CPE Catted Downpipe - CPE Catback Exhaust - 3" ETS TMIC - Cobb RMM - AEM Boost Gauge & Vent Pod - CANBus Triple - Corksport BPV - Corksport hood strut - Corksport RSB - Corksport Short Shifter - HTP 3.5" Intake - Damond TMM - Damond Vented CC - Vented Oil Cap - Tokay v2 Seals - GTX3067R - Damond PCV Plate - Built Engine (Manley Rods, 88mm Supertech 4032 Piston) -

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok guys i did exactly that, ran the car longer and also used a new battery. Test results are totally different. With 2 different gauges i re-checked and got consistently 175 175 175 179 (Cyl 4). I am happy with these results. Gonna keep the car and mod it until its dead. Then re build. I live in KW area a new to this forum. If there any meet ups id like to join.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Polish_Eagle View Post
    I recommend driving your car for longer like others have mentioned so your car can get up to operating temperature (oil and coolant). However, if your compression tests remain that low it's not necessarily the worst thing, especially since all four cylinders are the same number (even wear). Though, I'd recommend doing a leak down test to see if there are any issues internally within the engine. If the leak down doesn't show anything of concern then continue driving your car, but if it does you might need to rebuild the engine/replace it.

This year sold my green ninja 07 zx6r. ****ing loved that thing. I see you got a 08 black.

Ride
    ZX-6R
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin M View Post
    This year sold my green ninja 07 zx6r. ****ing loved that thing. I see you got a 08 black.
    I use to own a black '08 ZX-6R. That bike made 135 WHP and nearly got me into a lot of trouble, but it was fun before I sold it in 2015 with 78,000 KM's on the odometer (ya, rode it a lot lol).