Thread: JBL/Infinity/Kappa True 4 ohm speakers on late '08 factory head unit?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default JBL/Infinity/Kappa True 4 ohm speakers on late '08 factory head unit?

Let's start by the fact that I'd rather not replace the stock head unit. I already bought and installed the OEM iPod kit and I don't want to lose the display (I know, there's ways to keep it).

I was gonna install an amp and rewire everything to drive Infinity Reference speakers I got but I'm lazy (it's a lot of work), plus I'm not ready to invest in a new alternator to drive the whole thing (stock one will be near maxed out if I don't).

The Infinity speakers are what they call "True 4 ohms" design, but realistically they're 3 ohms speakers that take into account the impedance of the crappy OEM wiring and are calling this true 4 othm. Here's my big question: Can the factory (non-Bose) head unit handle a component and a coax set at 3 ohms? If it makes a difference, my car is a late '08 model with the piano black interior (different head unit than the early '08 model).

Has anyone installed speakers with less than 4 ohms on the factory head unit and has it worked fine? Overheated/Blown? Caught fire?

Any input would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: JBL/Infinity/Kappa True 4 ohm speakers on late '08 factory head unit?

I have a set of Bose speakers in my 07 but tbh with the factory unit you won't notice much improvement in sound quality. I'm like you and didn't want to change the factory head unit. I do enjoy the much higher quality vocals. No overheating or anything of note. The speakers can't change the output of the deck.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: JBL/Infinity/Kappa True 4 ohm speakers on late '08 factory head unit?

Personally, id say get a line out converter for an amp and run the speakers with the amp. its honestly not that much work, or pay a shop to do it. It will sound a lot better. Also, why pay for speakers when you're using the stock head unit that pushes only 50W peak per channel.

Not sure on the 4 Ohm part since i have an aftermarket deck but i can guarantee you that even if you put an amp or 2, all you need is a good battery and you will be fine. No need for a bigger alternator.

A few members here including myself have or have had quite the stereo in our cars on the stock alternator without issues.
    @jaimie08mazda3 is one that comes to mind. He may be able to chime in on the 4ohm part but i dont think he's had a stock head unit either.
    2004 mazda 3 GT Sedan Indigo Blue.

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They will be fine. I have run JBLs for years that are 3ohm and they sound fine and I have never had a problem.

Mine is an '07 both non-Bose.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a 4 channel amp and PAC line out converter integration harness in the classifieds if you want to go that route. From my experience it's definitely the easiest / best sounding way to go. In my humble opinion if you're putting in Kappa's put an amp in with them too so you're not wasting money on more speaker than you can use.

That's what I used with the stock head unit when I swapped out my front channels and added a sub before I went to an android auto head unit. I ran JL C3-650's and a JL sub and I loved it. The integration harness fits behind the head unit and the amp fits under the seat (or wherever else you want) to keep things looking stock.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I already have the amp and everything to wire it, I'm just lazy to do it and re-wire all the speakers since the 22ga stock wire won't be good enough with an amp. Guess I'll just bite the bullet and get that done before it gets too cold outside (hopefully next weekend). Thanks for the feedback.