Thread: New front rotors and pads and break pedal feels weird.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New front rotors and pads and break pedal feels weird.

I had not driven my 08 M3 GT in about 3 weeks. The first time I tried to use it i felt I had to press the break pedal way too far, more than normal. Used the card for a second day and same thing.

I had already replaced the front pads and rotors myself about 2 years ago and was thinking that maybe It was my fault so I purchased new pads and rotors today.

My local shop replaced the rotors and pads and I picked it up but still feel like I have to push the pedal way far to get the car to stop.

They said they did not touch the rear breaks.

Could there be a problem with the ABS system? Rear caliper seized or seizing that could result in this feeling?

I thought after brand new front pads and rotors car was going to feel great...

What do you guys think could be the issue? I use my wives Ford Escape but I can't believe that I "got too used" to her SUV breaks and now mine feel strange.

Jr Member
    Ride
    2012 Volvo C30 T5
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New front rotors and pads and break pedal feels weird.

Sounds like air is getting in the brake fluid system. Bleed it. If that doesn't work, could be master brake cylinder or caliper issues. But start with a bleed.
    Never stop zoom-zooming

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you dubcee, bleed is the same as flush? Would this be the best thing to try before checking calipers? After they replaced my front pads and rotors, they should have noticed any issue with those calipers then correct? If it ended up being a caliper issue it should only be related to the rear calipers right?

Jr Member
    Ride
    2012 Volvo C30 T5
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Flushing replaces all of your brake fluid. Bleeding replaces less fluid and is meant to remove the air bubbles. Air bubbles will.cause the pedal to do exactly what you describe. I have often had bubbles introduced while changing pads, which required a bleed after.

The mechanics should have noticed a faulty caliper if it was the front brakes. Rear calipers may be a cause but bleeding is quick and cheap. I would start with that.