Thread: First time in car accident. NEED HELP

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default First time in car accident. NEED HELP

Not sure should I post the thread in this section. if not I'm sorry.
    So basically someone hit me from the back when I was complete stop due to the traffic. I have done nothing wrong. I took a picture of her car and license plate. I ask her to pay for the damage and I have the estimate from an autobody shop, quoted $400-$450. She refused and ask me to call the police. I call the police, the officer asked me to go to the collision report center (CRC) and take a picture of her driver license. When I ask her for her driver license, she refused and then drove away.

I went to the CRC alone and did everything they asked me to do. They gave me a yellow paper "Self-Reporting Collision Report", put a sticker on the damaged part, took some pictures, and said I'm good to go.

This is my first time, I really have no idea what should I do next, since I don't have the picture of the driver and her driver license. Is there anyone had some similar experience that could share? Was that a "hit and run"? I'm really afraid that I will need to pay for the damages on my car, and I desperately want to get my Mazda 3 fixed.

Any reply is appreciated! Please, and Thank you!!!

ps:The paint job on my rear bumper was done a month ago...

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: First time in car accident. NEED HELP

Submit photos to insurance of your damage and theirs. You should have gotten their license and insurance info but that's okay, you learn from your mistakes. They'll ask you a series of questions and take care of the rest.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to messupdude For This Useful Post:

Bryan (11-24-2016)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So should I call my insurance tmr? The license you just mentioned do you mean her driver license or license plate? For the insurance info, is it possible find it if I have the license plate number of her car? Thank you so much!!!

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan View Post
    So should I call my insurance tmr? The license you just mentioned do you mean her driver license or license plate? For the insurance info, is it possible find it if I have the license plate number of her car? Thank you so much!!!
    Yes call. Just call in a claim and the person will help you out as much as they can with the information you have. Let us know what happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Jackal For This Useful Post:

Bryan (11-24-2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh shes in a big world of hurt. This is considered HIT and RUN. She'll be charged. She'll receive a nice little letter from the police.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JonsMazda For This Useful Post:

Bryan (11-24-2016),m_bisson (11-28-2016)

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, going to police and reporting was the right thing to do on your part.

Call your insurance, they will ask you for all the info you have. Tell them the truth, you have plate number, they refused to provide their info, you called the police. Insurance will ask you for a copy of the police report or the police report number.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to studum For This Useful Post:

Bryan (11-24-2016)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes call your insurance and forward everything you have on her and tell them she refused to provide you anything. They'll sort you out and take care of you. Call the police and report it as hit and run and give them the plate.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to messupdude For This Useful Post:

Bryan (11-24-2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by messupdude View Post
    Yes call your insurance and forward everything you have on her and tell them she refused to provide you anything. They'll sort you out and take care of you. Call the police and report it as hit and run and give them the plate.

No need to proceed with this portion now. Accident reporting center has police, they can begin this process.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

14. The Following User Says Thank You to S.F.W. For This Useful Post:

Bryan (11-24-2016)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you so much for the reply guys. I just called the insurance today and they ask me to drop off the car in the auto body shop, and let the inspector estimate the damage. But would this claim increase my insurance rate in the future?

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JonsMazda View Post
    Oh shes in a big world of hurt. This is considered HIT and RUN. She'll be charged. She'll receive a nice little letter from the police.
    If she is charged by the police, will I have any chance to know about it. Since she really pissed me off by saying something offensive, knowing that she is charged would make me feel better.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First thing you should always do in this situation. Take out your cell and take pictures of the other party's insurance and owners slips.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Charlie S For This Useful Post:

Bryan (11-26-2016)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie S View Post
    First thing you should always do in this situation. Take out your cell and take pictures of the other party's insurance and owners slips.
    Thanks for advice, but in my case she refused to provide those documents. What would be the best way to deal with it?

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for advice, but in my case she refused to provide those documents. What would be the best way to deal with it?

Clearly everyone is suggesting you go pursuing through their glove box to find said information...

You did they right/smart thing by getting the vehicle and plate info. Go report it like you did at the collision centre and call your insurance to report.

You probably will never know unless the police tell you and they probably won't.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to cwp_sedan For This Useful Post:

Bryan (11-26-2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cwp_sedan View Post
    Clearly everyone is suggesting you go pursuing through their glove box to find said information...

You did they right/smart thing by getting the vehicle and plate info. Go report it like you did at the collision centre and call your insurance to report.

You probably will never know unless the police tell you and they probably won't.
    He might if they subpoena him to appear in court. Hit and run is pretty serious. ...Hope she gets nailed.

_3

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flagrum_3 For This Useful Post:

Bryan (11-26-2016),m_bisson (11-28-2016)

Jr Member
    Ride
    2010 M3 GX Sport
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take a picture of her car and plate as well as the position and damage to her car. Photo evidence is never a bad thing.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to mazdaagain For This Useful Post:

Bryan (11-26-2016)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you so much for the reply guys. I just called the insurance today and they ask me to drop off the car in the auto body shop, and let the inspector estimate the damage. But would this claim increase my insurance rate in the future?
    It depends. One thing I've learned over the years is that if you go for the "cheapest" insurance, that may bite you when it comes to claim time. So a lot depends on your insurance company, your policy specifics, and your claim history.
    Normally, for your first claim, especially since it's likely to be no-fault, you'll be okay. Some companies (like Cooperators) will stiff you for a "claims fee" over your next few renewals (unless they changed that policy).

Where things can get ugly is if they decide to write off your car, in which case you may be in for some sticker-shock when they value it. And if they repair, you now have that on the vehicle's record, which diminishes the value should you choose to sell/trade later. It sucks, but not a lot you can do about it.

Anyway, as others have said, you've done the best you can. So for now stop stressing, let the insurance company do what they do, and wait and see. If they *do* write it off, you don't have to accept their first offer. Just keep that in mind.

If the other driver does get charged by the police, you'd likely not hear right away. But if it goes to court, you'd likely be called as a witness.

Brad.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to bpsmicro For This Useful Post:

Bryan (11-29-2016)

Professor
    Ride
    1992 FD3S
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not sure should I post the thread in this section. if not I'm sorry.
    So basically someone hit me from the back when I was complete stop due to the traffic. I have done nothing wrong. I took a picture of her car and license plate. I ask her to pay for the damage and I have the estimate from an autobody shop, quoted $400-$450. She refused and ask me to call the police. I call the police, the officer asked me to go to the collision report center (CRC) and take a picture of her driver license. When I ask her for her driver license, she refused and then drove away.

I went to the CRC alone and did everything they asked me to do. They gave me a yellow paper "Self-Reporting Collision Report", put a sticker on the damaged part, took some pictures, and said I'm good to go.

This is my first time, I really have no idea what should I do next, since I don't have the picture of the driver and her driver license. Is there anyone had some similar experience that could share? Was that a "hit and run"? I'm really afraid that I will need to pay for the damages on my car, and I desperately want to get my Mazda 3 fixed.

Any reply is appreciated! Please, and Thank you!!!

ps:The paint job on my rear bumper was done a month ago...

You're fine.

This will play out in one of two ways.

1) You will provide the police the license plate number of the car that hit you and they will track her down, she will be charged with Fail to Remain. Your insurance will cover this under the section of your auto policy called DCPD (Direct Compensation, Property Damage). This is the section of your auto policy that pays out in the event of a not-at-fault accident.

2) The police never catch her (but track down the car, which they will, you have the license plate). A little further work will be done to determine if the car was insured. If it was, go back to step 1. If the vehicle was not insured, your policy will pay out under the Identified Uninsured Motorist coverage.

The end result is the same either way, you get compensated.

-Geoff

29. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudPump For This Useful Post:

Bryan (11-29-2016)

Professor
    Ride
    1992 FD3S
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No.

This is a not-at-fault accident. NAF's cannot be used to determine your insurance rates.

-Geoff

31. The Following User Says Thank You to CloudPump For This Useful Post:

Bryan (11-29-2016)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bpsmicro View Post
    It depends. One thing I've learned over the years is that if you go for the "cheapest" insurance, that may bite you when it comes to claim time. So a lot depends on your insurance company, your policy specifics, and your claim history.
    Normally, for your first claim, especially since it's likely to be no-fault, you'll be okay. Some companies (like Cooperators) will stiff you for a "claims fee" over your next few renewals (unless they changed that policy).

Where things can get ugly is if they decide to write off your car, in which case you may be in for some sticker-shock when they value it. And if they repair, you now have that on the vehicle's record, which diminishes the value should you choose to sell/trade later. It sucks, but not a lot you can do about it.

Anyway, as others have said, you've done the best you can. So for now stop stressing, let the insurance company do what they do, and wait and see. If they *do* write it off, you don't have to accept their first offer. Just keep that in mind.

If the other driver does get charged by the police, you'd likely not hear right away. But if it goes to court, you'd likely be called as a witness.

Brad.
    Thank you so much for the advice. The insurance told me that I have $900 deductible. What is that mean? And I told them I to repair my car in the auto body that I trust. But is that okay? Seems like they were not quite happy about it. Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default First time in car accident. NEED HELP

Thank you so much for the advice. The insurance told me that I have $900 deductible. What is that mean? And I told them I to repair my car in the auto body that I trust. But is that okay? Seems like they were not quite happy about it. Thanks

It means you have to pay for the first $900 - and they cover the rest.

And yes - you have the right to go to any repair facility

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Default User For This Useful Post:

Bryan (11-30-2016)

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shouldn't the deductible be waved if it was the other party's fault?

36. The Following User Says Thank You to cwp_sedan For This Useful Post:

Bryan (11-30-2016)

Ride
    2010 MS3
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cwp_sedan View Post
    Shouldn't the deductible be waved if it was the other party's fault?
    That is also what I've heard, just read:

"If the insurance companies of the parties involved determine that you are not at-fault, you do not have to pay the deductible on your car insurance policy. Your repairs will be covered under the Direct Compensation portion of your policy, which is a mandatory coverage in Ontario."

Good luck

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Dallas87 For This Useful Post:

Bryan (11-30-2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is what I remember so I hope my memory serves me well.

When I had my first accident about 9 years ago I dropped my car off at one of their preferred locations. While it was getting fixed I got a call saying I was not at fault and I don't need to pay the deductible. So, I'm guessing the insurance company is just telling you what the deductible is just in case you need to pay it.

I hope the other driver gets the book thrown at him/her. Good luck with everything.
    Dave

40. The Following User Says Thank You to ds2chan For This Useful Post:

Bryan (11-30-2016)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ds2chan View Post
    This is what I remember so I hope my memory serves me well.

When I had my first accident about 9 years ago I dropped my car off at one of their preferred locations. While it was getting fixed I got a call saying I was not at fault and I don't need to pay the deductible. So, I'm guessing the insurance company is just telling you what the deductible is just in case you need to pay it.

I hope the other driver gets the book thrown at him/her. Good luck with everything.
    Thank you so much. Its been a week already, on Monday, I dropped off my car at the auto body shop, got a rental. But I didn't receive a call from the auto body shop and insurance. Is that mean they couldn't find her and Ill end up pay for the damage? Thanks again.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In Ontario. If someone else is at fault, you don't pay the deductable. A guy wrote off my old civic in a parking lot, I collected his phone number and his plate number, he refused to give anything else. Agreed to pay cash for the damages, and then refused to. I made 1 phone call to the police to back track the plate number, and a phone call to my insurance company, they see what policy is attached to the plate and start their process. If you were not at fault, I would be very hesitant on paying a deductable. Sounds like your insurance is trying to screw you. But every policy is different I guess.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

43. The Following User Says Thank You to LinkinEffect For This Useful Post:

Bryan (12-01-2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast