Thread: [2014-2018 BM/BN] EDM aspheric mirrors installed!

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up [2014-2018 BM/BN] EDM aspheric mirrors installed!

After enjoying the safety enhancement of the EDM aspheric mirrors on my "genwon" BK Mazda3, it was quite intolerable driving the BM Mazda3 with huge blind spots and poor rear visibility. Visibility is what I miss from the "genwon"
    Once you knew about the existence of something better, you just can't take anything less! As they say, "ignorance is bliss"! And yes, I did adjust my mirrors "properly"... the driver side (flat) glass was as outward as practically possible, but having to deal with the little "port hole" of a back window and the inside mirror to cover the further distances just sucked!

Costing a small fortune, I imported a pair of mirror glass from Germany. Really, the passenger side glass isn't really necessary because the USDM glass is also convex, except the EDM one has no silly warning label. I just chanced upon one on German ebay for "cheap", so...

To me, you can't put a price on safety... This is "cheap insurance" that all the gadgets the car with can't always help you (BSM, rear cross traffic alert, and rear camera). IT IS WORTH THE MONEY!

I don't have "before" pics here, because I couldn't wait to install these as soon as they arrived from Germany after dark a few days ago. But since if you're reading this thread, you probably have a 3rd gen Mazda3 anyway. You can certainly refer to my two previous threads of my other cars, of course.
    But, this pic should really show how much improved rearward visibility is. There's now zero blind spots when you are parallel to another car/traffic, and greatly reduced if you're at an angle.

The angle is so wide, I can adjust the mirror to both cover a bit of the side of the car (great for parking) and it still reflects the outer portion of the housing!

Installation is not quite as easy as it used to be with the older Mazdas. The mirrors are a frameless design. They are glued onto the plastic bracket/backer which means you have to be extra careful removing the original glass. The shop manual says to heat up the mirror with a hair dryer for both removal and installation, which is a good idea because the sockets are very tight fitting compared to the "genwon" (BK) and "genpu" (BL) ones. I believe this is by design as an anti-theft measure for some countries where mirror theft is high (such as Mexico). Even when heated up, removal and installation is not very easy as considerable amount of force is needed to pop these in/out, which can be a bit scary!

For those interested in importing these (contact an importer/exporter, I can't help you), glass only part numbers:
    Japan build (LHD)/Ishizaki make
    2014-2016 (BM):
    Left with BSM, heated-- GHR5-69-1G7
    Left without BSM, heated-- GHP9-69-1G7A
    Left with BSM, non-heated-- G44P-69-1G7
    Left without BSM, non-heated-- G44N-69-1G7
    Right with BSM, heated-- GHR5-69-1G1
    Right without BSM, heated-- GHP9-69-1G1
    Right with BSM, non-heated-- G44P-69-1G1
    Right without BSM, non-heated-- G44N-69-1G1
    These are shared parts with the 3rd gen (GJ) Mazda6 and can be used with a 2014-2016 Mazda6. No auto dimming is available, at all as it is USDM only.
    2017-2018 (BN):
    Left with BSM, heated-- BSR1-69-1G7
    Left without BSM, heated-- BABE-69-1G7
    Left without BSM, non-heated-- BABD-69-1G7
    Right with BSM, heated-- B62T-69-1G1
    Right without BSM, heated-- B62S-69-1G1
    Right without BSM, non-heated-- B63B-69-1G1

Mexico build (LHD):
    2014-2016 (BM):
    Left with BSM, heated-- BPM9-69-1G7
    Left without BSM, heated-- DA7G-69-1G7
    Left with BSM, non-heated-- DA7E-69-1G7
    Left without BSM, non-heated-- DA6C-69-1G7
    Right with BSM, heated--BPM9-69-1G1
    Right without BSM, heated--DA7G-69-1G7
    Right with BSM, non-heated-- DA7E-69-1G1
    Right without BSM, non-heated-- BLE9-69-1G1
    2017-2018 (BN):
    Left with BSM, heated-- DB1N-69-1G7
    Left without BSM, heated-- DA7G-69-1G7
    Left with BSM, non-heated-- DA7E-69-1G7
    Left without BSM, non-heated-- DA6C-69-1G7
    Right with BSM, heated--DB1N-69-1G1
    Right without BSM, heated--DA7G-69-1G7
    Right with BSM, non-heated-- DA7E-69-1G1
    Right without BSM, non-heated-- BLE9-69-1G1
    These are shared parts with the 3rd gen (DJ) Mazda2 and can be used with a Mexican built 2015-2017 Mazda2/Scion iA/Toyota Yaris iA

Japan build (RHD)/Ishizaki make
    2014-2016 (BM):
    Left with BSM, heated-- GKM1-69-1G7
    Left without BSM, heated-- GJE8-69-1G7
    Left with BSM, non-heated-- G44P-69-1G7
    Left without BSM, non-heated-- G44N-69-1G7
    Right with BSM, heated-- GKM1-69-1G1
    Right without BSM, heated-- GJE8-69-1G1A
    Right without BSM, non-heated-- BJE6-69-1G1
    These are shared parts with the 3rd gen (GJ) Mazda6 and can be used with a 2014-2016 Mazda6. No auto dimming is available, at all as it is USDM only.
    2017-2018 (BN):
    Left with BSM, heated-- B62T-69-1G7
    Left without BSM, heated-- B62S-69-1G7
    Left without BSM, non-heated-- B63B-69-1G7
    Right with BSM, heated-- BAAR-69-1G1
    Right without BSM, heated-- BAAP-69-1G1
    Right without BSM, non-heated-- BAAN-69-1G1

All "driver's side" mirrors are aspheric. All "passenger side" mirrors are regular convex without warning labels. To get aspheric mirrors for both sides, order a LHD and RHD driver side glass.
    For example: GHR5-69-1G7 (LHD driver/left side), and GKM1-69-1G1 (RHD driver/right side)

Reference:
    LHD driver side = left side
    LHD passenger side = right side
    RHD driver side = right side
    RHD passenger side = left side

WARNING: These mirrors do not comply with FMVSS/CMVSS 111 (US and Canada rules) and ADR 14 (Australian rules) and are technically illegal in these countries. Use at your own risk! They are fully compliant with UNECE r46 and JIS D 5705. These are fully legal in most countries where UN vehicle regulations are in effect or allowed.
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheMAN For This Useful Post:

cwp_sedan (02-12-2018),studum (11-27-2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: [2014-2018 BM/BN] EDM aspheric mirrors installed!

Why not just turn the mirrors out a little bit more? I was taught to put your forehead against your window and move the mirror out until you can see beside you. On the passenger side you lean over until you are past your rear view mirror and turn the passenger side mirror out until you can see on your far right side.
    I did this and I can see any vehicle that is supposedly in my "blindspot" in both the rear view mirror and side mirror. Would save you money having to change glass mirrors, right?

Sponsor - GTA Retrofits
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,089 Times in 541 Posts
    Mentioned
    252 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by krash3 View Post
    Why not just turn the mirrors out a little bit more? I was taught to put your forehead against your window and move the mirror out until you can see beside you. On the passenger side you lean over until you are past your rear view mirror and turn the passenger side mirror out until you can see on your far right side.
    I did this and I can see any vehicle that is supposedly in my "blindspot" in both the rear view mirror and side mirror. Would save you money having to change glass mirrors, right?
    I do this weird thing where I turn my head
    Modifications? I've forgotten more than I remember. Click here for the list.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by krash3 View Post
    Because you're just shifting the blind spot to another spot, plain and simple
    I had the the stock mirror adjusted all the way out like I already said... I guess you didn't read that part! Guess what? Now that I can see the lane over, I can't see what's behind me also, which makes me having to look at both the inside mirror and outside mirror before switching lanes, wasting time... not to mention parking is harder now unless I adjusted the mirror back in, use the rear camera, and depend on the inside mirror a lot because turning my head to look means I have to strain to look over the back seat as opposed to the inside mirror being positioned higher that provides better visibility (unless you're tall)... this is all a huge hassle... Parking problems aside, the fact that I need to take more time to check BOTH mirrors, and maybe turn my head, it becomes a safety issue when I must quickly lane change in heavy traffic! The more time you take your eyes off the road checking mirrors or shoulder checking, the greater chance you're going to rear end someone... proper following distance or not! Quick manoeuvrers are essential in city driving, don't forget that!

If you want to be cheap and use the crappy stock mirror, and you're happy with it, that's fine... IMO, you're putting a price on safety and justifying outdated technology that the government forces us to have... the rest of the world moved on to using wide angled mirrors for a good reason... With this mirror, I rarely have to turn my head, meaning a quick glance in the mirror and I can safely move over or not... keeping my eyes on the road LONGER, which is what's most important... numerous scientific studies have proven that convex mirrors significantly reduce the chance of accidents compared to the flat ones, despite a "minification" problem which potentially causes distance judgement issues... there's a reason why Ford, Honda/Acura now bend the rules and add a built in blind spot mirror in their driver side mirrors, although the main portion is still flat... it greatly helps but still leaves a lot to be desired

Why put up with crap when you can have better?
    Last edited by TheMAN; 11-26-2016 at 11:58 PM.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dang, I wish it would be easier to get the part than having to go through an importer - this is something I'd be interested in. Thumbs up for a useful / stealth / OEM mod. Thanks for sharing

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very informative for the newbs, thanks for sharing.

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still love my convex style mirrors for my '07. They are way better than adding the extra round ones and they give me that extra sight.

I really miss them when I drive any one else's car.

I usually look over my shoulder but they allow me to have a good view in heavier traffic where I find it can be more dangerous to look over your shoulder.

Good purchase! Def worth the extra $.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to cwp_sedan For This Useful Post:

TheMAN (02-17-2018)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello!
    Visited Toronto in 2019th for 2 weeks, great city!

Imported Mazda 3 BN from USA, car was built in Mexico.
    Now I'm trying to replace left mirror element, as it is unusual after european cars where everything is seen into the supe wide view mirror vs US.

Just have one question, where did your car built ?
    Is that Japan or Mexico ?

Or maybe you have photo of back side of mirror element?

Thanks in advance!