Thread: Noise Problem: Pirelli Winter Carving

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Noise Problem: Pirelli Winter Carving

I'm curious to know if any other TM3 members have had noise problems with their older Pirelli Winter Carving Edge tires. They were sold as a wheel/tire package with many new 2010 M3's. I got them with my GS Sport and despite having better than 40% tread life, they're slightly cupped and noisy as hell.

2 mechanics have confirmed that it's tire noise as opposed to a wheel bearing, brakes, suspension... the usual suspects. Alignment is straight as an arrow, and car is not lowered. Seriously, the noise is so bad that I may have to replace the tires despite the fact that they still work great in the snow and have a lot of life on them.

And yes, I've tried turning up the radio. But the flapping, droning sound is so bad it's causing ear pain going across the 401.

Is it just mine?

2010 Mazda3 Sport GS in Velocity Red

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Noise Problem: Pirelli Winter Carving

It's the tread design, like Goodyear Nordic and ipike etc, the solid tread block in the middle makes them loud. Now look at the tread design on an xice or blissak or Continental SI. More blocks and less of a solid block down the middle. It's just the design of this tire that's giving you the noise, plus the tread block is harder to accept tire spikes. There is nothing wrong g with you tire, it's the way it's designed.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kenghk For This Useful Post:

rcmasterj (12-05-2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I guess it makes sense that the base for the spikes would be harder rubber. It also explains why the noise got only slightly better with a fresh balancing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

funny but my nordics and ipikes never made any noise after 4- 5 years. and i would say im on maybe my last or 2nd last year on the nordics they have done well.

honestly. at 40% life left. this is going to be the last season anyway. because in the spring when they are 20-30% they wont have the gripping power on ice or snow anyway, cant run them to bald like summer tires. so if i were you i would just drive them out and replace them for next year. turn the radio up. why waste the money to replace tires that are good but loud. my summers are stupid loud.. but have good tread still. just turn that radio up and or open the windows. and the noise is no longer heard.

but thats my
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Costco = good cheap solution
    Just go to automotive and ask to see their nuts
    It's like a buck a nut

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the same issue with my Nordfrost 5, just have to deal with it. It probably won't be as loud when there's snow on the ground.

2009 Mazda 3 GS Metro Gray Automatic

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry to hear about your noisy tires. I had a set of Goodyear's on another brand and same thing, that with around 30% of their tread left, dumped them due to excessive noise.

And why, before I buy new tires, I head over to TireRack.com and specifically check their tire noise rating on all tires I am considering. Their customer reviews and comparative video tests are also great to look at.

Best of luck

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes different tires will have unique "noise" characteristics, but after 3 or 4 winters seasons, a new winter set is always in the cards for me. By this time I have gone through the special top level compounds and optimal tread depths anyway. The negative rear camber in the gen 1 and 2 was also a contributing factor to noisy tires over time.

Keep the winters inflated well (check often) and alignment in spec with optimised toe in the rears

2010 Sport 2.0L 5MT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went on a trip to Buffalo, I noticed my winters made the worst noise at 70km/h. At 100-120km/h, the noise wasn't bad at all, especially if the paved road was still new.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tmpz View Post
    I went on a trip to Buffalo, I noticed my winters made the worst noise at 70km/h. At 100-120km/h, the noise wasn't bad at all, especially if the paved road was still new.
    Whenever I go to Buffalo, for some reason, the road sound is just completely different from the GTA. Summer or winter. Just different tones.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cjcoolen View Post
    Whenever I go to Buffalo, for some reason, the road sound is just completely different from the GTA. Summer or winter. Just different tones.
    For the most part - it's because they used to use Concrete roads in some areas. unlike here - where it's asphalt roads. Concrete lasts longer and more durable.

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ran on the winter carvings for several years. Never had a problem. Only problem I ran in to was burning through them in 2 seasons. If they still made them in my size I would go back to them in a heart beat.
    Winter tires in general are noisier than summer tires. That's normal
    1991 Nissan Pathfinder - trade in, 2005 Mazda 3 GX ty grey - Write off, 2010 Mazda 3 GT E sedan CWP- trade in, 2010 Speed 3 w/tech CWP - Up for sale (soon), 2007 Mazda 3 GS silver- motor swapped in to 2009 MS3 CWP that had blown engine, 2002 BMW 330ci silver- new winter ride, 2005 BMW M3- new toy

truckin' low
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wormburner View Post
    ...they're slightly cupped and noisy as hell.
    Improperly worn tires are a mixed bag when it comes to noise. Properly worn tires tend to have far less noise

How much tread is left (measured)? Often percentage guesses are inaccurate.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had almost every major name brand winter and find they all make more noise than the summers/all seasons that I use. If the winter tires are old and now hard instead of soft like they should be they could be louder for that reason