Thread: 2014 Mazda 3 2.0 6MT gear whine and odd idle

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2014 Mazda 3 2.0 6MT gear whine and odd idle

I’ve had my 2014 Mazda 3 sport GS 2.0L 6MT for 7 months now and I love it, but I’ve noticed a few things about the drivetrain and I was wondering if anyone could chime in about whether or not these behaviours are normal. I was planning on taking the car into the dealership to have them look into the issues, but if it’s normal, I won’t waste their time

-I've noticed that at low parking lot speeds (coasting to a stop), when the transmission is in first gear only (regardless of whether or not the clutch is engaged), there is a gear whine that can be heard that changes pitch with ROAD speed (sounds almost like the straight cut gear whine of reverse)

-I've also noticed a faint gear whine when accelerating and decelerating (engine braking) through the gears under light load that changes pitch with ENGINE speed (under heavy load, the engine noise masks the gear whine sound)

-Lastly, I've noticed that when I begin to take off from a stop, as I push in on the clutch/release the brake/slot the shifter into gear, the RPM picks up a couple hundred revs without me touching the gas pedal, then slowly falls back down to idle if i don't press the gas pedal to accelerate

Though I’ve had the car for 7 months, I just installed the Corksport SRI last week and I’ve had the radio muted to listen to the intake and I started to notice the gear whine noises. I’m aware there’s a TSB for the automatic transmission for a gear whine noise, but there doesn’t appear to be anything about a noise from the manual transmission.

Jr Member
    Ride
    2012 Volvo C30 T5
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2014 Mazda 3 2.0 6MT gear whine and odd idle

Not sure about the noises but for your last point.. I have a 2015 6mt that's does all sorts of crazy things especially during cold weather.

For example if the engine is winter cold and I go to shift from 1-2 it'll rev to 2k without any throttle input. There's also a rev hang when shifting from 1-2. It's annoying. I'm guessing it's the ECU trying to prevent higher emissions situations.
    Never stop zoom-zooming

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2014 Mazda 3 2.0 6MT gear whine and odd idle

why don't you take it in to have it looked at under warranty?
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)