Thread: Open fire BBQ - I have no idea what I am doing

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Open fire BBQ - I have no idea what I am doing

I don't even know where to begin. Imagine throwing a newborn out into the wilderness and having the child survive there. That's how I feel.

So my wife and I have a vacation up by Muskoka next week. Amongst various winter activities that include sleeping, hot tub, and reading, we were thinking (aka will be doing) of driving to Algonquin and getting a campsite for just a day to have an open fire BBQ. This is where I have a ton of questions. Particularly - is it a good idea? And if it's not the worst idea ever, how would I go about accomplishing it? Anybody have experience with this or any useful links for me to read over?

The last time I had an open fire bbq was with my parents, back when I was 7. So I know it can be done!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 643 Posts
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Open fire BBQ - I have no idea what I am doing

What do you plan on cooking? It will change whether you want a cooking grate/surface or a rotisserie.

You want to cook with the coals more than flame, so plan ahead to give yourself enough time to build a fire big enough/long enough to build that coal bed.

- 2021 Porsche Macan GTS -
    - 2016 Lexus NX200t F Sport -
    - 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 Black Mica - SOLD -

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    What do you plan on cooking? It will change whether you want a cooking grate/surface or a rotisserie.

You want to cook with the coals more than flame, so plan ahead to give yourself enough time to build a fire big enough/long enough to build that coal bed.
    Wife is going to pick up some chicken skewers from a Filipino store somewhere. I was gonna maybe skewer some seafood. The question is how to hold those skewers in place over the coals... I vaguely recall my parents finding Y-shaped sticks to put the skewers on. Is there something I can purchase to replace the need of having to look for sticks?

Also, I've never even had experience of starting a fire in winter at a campsite. Is it the same as if I had a charcoal grill? Just on the ground?
    Also, I've never been at a campsite... Anything I should know of? I did contact Algonquin but the info they gave me was fairly limited :/ It amounted to the fact that I can just waltz in and do the whole "first come first serve" campsite deal. However, I have no idea how fees work... I only intend to stay there like 5 hours. I could quite work out my total $ using their page (http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/visit...campground.php)

Ride
    2015 F250 XLT 4x4
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Build a nice fire and let it burn down to coals cook over them and watch out for moose saw 4 when I went through Algonquin a few weeks back heading up north

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With the wind the way it is - using "sticks" may not be the best deal

Doubt dollarama has anything for camping / BBQ equipment now - but worth a shot.

Or you can check places like Bass pro / Sail / le baron for some off season camping deals.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 700 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Picked a spot in Algonquin yet? Tea lake isn't bad, Two Rivers is beside a lake so you will feel any cold wind, Never been to Mew, Pog lake or rock lake so can't comment on those.

I'm pretty sure the stores: portage store, Two Rivers & Opeongo are all closed this time of year, be prepared with snacks if cooking goes south. The resorts are closed for sure as well.

Oxetounge Lake is ok, and there are some nice places in Huntsville as well.
    Last edited by Kiewan; 12-09-2016 at 06:50 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For Algonquin im not sure if a day pass will grant you access to use a campsite and a fire pit, or if that just gets your access to trails etc. Might need a campground pass. But the east or west gate should have these answers for you. As far as cooking most campsites have a fire pit with built in grill. Just let it get good and hot to "clean" it, and maybe bring some PAM to help prevent food from sticking. I would also recommend the lookout trail.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Woah :o Lots of helpful info here! Thank you guys! The person I emailed at Algonquin said the following:

"The only way to have an open fire in the park, is to be on a designated campsite and Mew Lake campground is the only campground that is open year round. I have verified with the Group Leader that is in charge of the campground, and he said that it was OK for you to use one of the first come first serve sites (non-reservable sites) located in the campground. "

Which pretty much limits me to one specific spot. I can only hope they have built-in grills. I guess that'll be something I'll ask when I am there. To be fair, my wife and I thought planned this a bit back on an assumption that it will still be cold but no/minimal snow. With the way the weather has been... We are almost considering BBQing in a fireplace, heh!

That said, I found that CT has a nice looking grill rack with legs that can go over a campfire (only $16 too) so that might be something I'll buy. I'm also now considering perhaps just hauling the charcoal grill to the campsite and then having grill on the site for cooking, and using a firepit just for starting a big campfire and staying warm.

Thoughts?