Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does rustproofing completely stop rust?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Does rustproofing completely stop rust?

I am thinking of buying a 2014+ Mazda3 but I am scared that it will still rust even if I Krown spray it yearly. Does anyone have any experience with rustproofing their mazda and it still rusting on them?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Does rustproofing completely stop rust?

Quote Originally Posted by hiimnotbry View Post
    I am thinking of buying a 2014+ Mazda3 but I am scared that it will still rust even if I Krown spray it yearly. Does anyone have any experience with rustproofing their mazda and it still rusting on them?
    Rustproofing will not stop rust is you don't help it . Don't expect to krown and do no other maintenance and the car won't rust. Krown is great for preventing rust but it's not a cure all. You have to wash frequently I was my speed 3 twice a week in the winter or buy a shell car wash card and drive through every day in the winter. Ideally you should have gotten the car waxed just before the first snow.
    TLDR rust proofing is a great way to prevent rust but you should wash frequently in winter so the the salt doesn't even have the chance to start to corrode stuff. Think of rustproofing as building a wall around your house and the washing as a big ass guard dog. You use the dog to stop the rust from even getting to the wall but the wall is there also protecting your stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry, should of said I will definitely be washing it during the winter time. If I were to get one, I also need to wax it yearly?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A couple on here have had their cars rust even though having them Krowned, but they were 1st Generations and notorious for rust. I think Mazda has remedied the issue on the newer versions. So you should be fine.
    Secondly, if buying used its always a good idea to rustproof the car, if you plan to keep it a while.

I'd suggest waxing twice a year with a good base wax. Krown it once a year or once every two years at the very least. Get a can of Krown spray and spray prone areas periodically such as; seams between lights and body, bumpers and body, anywhere water/moisture could settle. I prefer a wax which has a base and a detail wax and are formulated to work together. I think Maguire's has one and personally I use Turtle Wax Ice and detail spray. Wax twice a year with the base, detail wax every several washes. Wash atleast once a week in winter.

Hope that helps.

_3

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Flagrum_3 For This Useful Post:

aris (12-21-2016)

Ride
    RAM 1500 - 2017
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_baje View Post
    Rustproofing will not stop rust is you don't help it . Don't expect to krown and do no other maintenance and the car won't rust. Krown is great for preventing rust but it's not a cure all. You have to wash frequently I was my speed 3 twice a week in the winter or buy a shell car wash card and drive through every day in the winter. Ideally you should have gotten the car waxed just before the first snow.
    TLDR rust proofing is a great way to prevent rust but you should wash frequently in winter so the the salt doesn't even have the chance to start to corrode stuff. Think of rustproofing as building a wall around your house and the washing as a big ass guard dog. You use the dog to stop the rust from even getting to the wall but the wall is there also protecting your stuff.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    That's actually hurting your car...You can wash your car by hand as often as you want, but anytime you're using pressurized water, it's getting forced into places that it wouldn't normally get via rain or regular handwashing. You're actually washing the Krown spray off of the inside of body panels at the gaps.

Once every two weeks in the winter is all you need. Every day is just making it easier for rust.

Noob
    Ride
    Ducati Monster 796
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
    That's actually hurting your car...You can wash your car by hand as often as you want, but anytime you're using pressurized water, it's getting forced into places that it wouldn't normally get via rain or regular handwashing. You're actually washing the Krown spray off of the inside of body panels at the gaps.

Once every two weeks in the winter is all you need. Every day is just making it easier for rust.
    I actually recommend washing even less frequently in Winter. Unless the roads are dry, or a nice rain has washed away the salt, or you plan on not driving for a while, I see little point in frequent Winter washes if you are having it rustproofed with Krown/Rust Check (or something similar). Where I live all it takes is a drive down the street to have a nice new coating of salt; all washing will do is wash away the protective coating making it easier for the inevitable salt to cause trouble. I just try to relax and trust that the coating is preventing the salt from causing a problem, and only wash infrequently if I know it isn't just going to be coated in salt again. This is given that a high pressure water wash is the only option I have during winter months with the exterior water turned off.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bishamondo View Post
    I actually recommend washing even less frequently in Winter. Unless the roads are dry, or a nice rain has washed away the salt, or you plan on not driving for a while, I see little point in frequent Winter washes if you are having it rustproofed with Krown/Rust Check (or something similar). Where I live all it takes is a drive down the street to have a nice new coating of salt; all washing will do is wash away the protective coating making it easier for the inevitable salt to cause trouble. I just try to relax and trust that the coating is preventing the salt from causing a problem, and only wash infrequently if I know it isn't just going to be coated in salt again. This is given that a high pressure water wash is the only option I have during winter months with the exterior water turned off.
    I look at temperature and forecast in my decision of when and how many times to wash. I'm lucky I guess, I have an indoor wash near me, Midland Carwash. I can hand wash it most of the time using the spray only at a reasonable distance to wet n rinse, but still use carwashes when I'm feeling lazy. Temperature-wise, if its going to stay below zero, I don't worry too much as the salt won't activate and react with the metal in sub-zero temps. If I see it's going above zero, then I give her a wash immediately. That, plus my yearly Krown spray and the regimen mentioned in my above post has kept my '05 rust free so far.

_3

Noob
    Ride
    Ducati Monster 796
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    I look at temperature and forecast in my decision of when and how many times to wash. I'm lucky I guess, I have an indoor wash near me, Midland Carwash. I can hand wash it most of the time using the spray only at a reasonable distance to wet n rinse, but still use carwashes when I'm feeling lazy. Temperature-wise, if its going to stay below zero, I don't worry too much as the salt won't activate and react with the metal in sub-zero temps. If I see it's going above zero, then I give her a wash immediately. That, plus my yearly Krown spray and the regimen mentioned in my above post has kept my '05 rust free so far.
    That makes sense. I may try to get to the car wash today, actually.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 700 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Completely stop rust, no.

Drastically reduce rust later down the road depending on how long you keep you car, yes. There are lots of examples here of people benefiting from Krown on gen1 3s.

I would spend the 100$ every season to help protect my purchase if I had a newer car.

Noob
    Ride
    Volvo S80, Yamaha 1300
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The warmer the weather, the faster rust spreads. It is therefore best to Krown in the spring (not the fall) after all the winter's sand and salt have been power-washed away.

As for power-washing the underside, it doesn't make much sense if (a) you've just paid for an oil spray or (b) temperatures are below freezing. Do it only in mild weather, on a car that hasn't been oil-sprayed in awhile.

Noob
    Ride
    Volvo S80, Yamaha 1300
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

PS: To answer the original question, nothing "stops" rust but annual oil sprays are the most effective way at pushing it back by several years. Especially on the sub-frames, fuel lines, and other undercarriage bits which otherwise get rusty very quickly and eventually cause safety/repair issues.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you everyone for their inputs, I will keep this in mind when it comes to deciding what car to get.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I emailed Krown and I'm going to wait for a reply and post it here. Curious as to what they recommend we should do in the winter.
    2014 Mazda3 GS, 2.0L auto
    2010 Mazda3 GT, 2.5L auto

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FWIW, my car is 2014 GS built in Japan, and doesn't have a spot of rust on it. Has not been rust proofed. Took delivery in Feb 2014, and this is kinda the fourth winter.

Checked under the rear trunk, checked underneath (albeit briefly).

Although some members have spotted minor rust on their Gen 3, mine's good (for now).

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gta_driver View Post
    FWIW, my car is 2014 GS built in Japan, and doesn't have a spot of rust on it. Has not been rust proofed. Took delivery in Feb 2014, and this is kinda the fourth winter.

Checked under the rear trunk, checked underneath (albeit briefly).

Although some members have spotted minor rust on their Gen 3, mine's good (for now).
    ....If you bought it in 2014...how is this the 4th winter?

I got my 2015 GS Krowned for the first time this year, and I'd rather be safe than sorry. I see plenty of older cars with the Krown sticker with no rust driving around.
    Though it's not a "one-and-done" procedure; ensure you get regular washes (prevent salt accumulation), as well as a proper wax job (i get it professionally done twice a year, plus a few times by myself).

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't be scared. I'm driving a first gen with over 200k that is rust free. I personally spray it with about 2 cans in the winter and 2 in the spring. Was it once a month and it seems to do it. I think the 2nd gen is better then the first.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of you have no clue as to what you're talking about. Oil rustproofing, applied correctly and renewed every year or two on rust free panels will absolutely stop rust from forming. If rust already started, it will dramatically slow it down.
    The reason some are reporting rust, despite being Krowned is because some Krown outlets have really cheapened on the application process and the amount they spray. I got so tired of their poor workmanship that I do my own rustproofing applications now. Even when I was going to them, I was still touching up the wheel wells with a can of Rust Cure.
    On my 06 the only spot where I had to fix rust is the third brake light. It's a crappy Mazda design that I did not catch in time. It is corrected now and rust hasn't returned for almost two years now.
    Last edited by stock3; 01-03-2017 at 05:44 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Even with Krown or similar treatments you have to stay on top of things to stay rustfree. When washing the car pay attention to all the nooks and crannies where salt gets deposited and doesn't get washed out. Be especially careful to wipe down the bottoms of the doors for instance especially along the seam area, salt gets in there when you drive on sloppy roads yet in a lot of instances this area is ignored. Another neglected area area is the door jambs. I could go on but think of all the places where salt deposits can get lodged over the winter and keep those areas religiously clean, your car will thank you.

Pat.

2010 Mazda3 GT Sport..

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I remember reading all the washing advice from various internet experts, that probably trade cars every few years, when gen 1 came out, which of course turned out to be nonsense. I never rigorously washed my 3 in winter, just quick pressure foam sprays from coin operated washes and it hasn't been waxed for 4 or 5 years now. Guess what? No rust, but it is rigorously rust proofed.
    How can wax prevent rust? Have any of you taken chemistry in high school?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stock3 View Post
    I remember reading all the washing advice from various internet experts, that probably trade cars every few years, when gen 1 came out, which of course turned out to be nonsense. I never rigorously washed my 3 in winter, just quick pressure foam sprays from coin operated washes and it hasn't been waxed for 4 or 5 years now. Guess what? No rust, but it is rigorously rust proofed.
    Yah I've heard it many tines from details shops and Krown themselves, avoid doing to many touchless carwashs especially the underspray. The spray will remove some of the salt and grime but at the same time push it into harder nooks and crannies where it stays and starts rusting.

Hand washing is best. If you get it Krowned avoid the carwash underpray until Summer and at least a month after the next Krown. Also keeping it in a cold garage or outside helps

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mazdazard View Post
    ....If you bought it in 2014...how is this the 4th winter?
    Because took delivery in February. and I said "kinda"

1 - Feb-Mar 2014
    2 - Dec 2014 - Mar 2015
    3 - Dec 2015 - Mar 2016
    4 - Dec 2016 - present

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of you have no clue as to what you're talking about. Oil rustproofing, applied correctly and renewed every year or two on rust free panels will absolutely stop rust from forming. If rust already started, it will dramatically slow it down.
    The reason some are reporting rust, despite being Krowned is because some Krown outlets have really cheapened on the application process and the amount they spray. I got so tired of their poor workmanship that I do my own rustproofing applications now. Even when I was going to them, I was still touching up the wheel wells with a can of Rust Cure.
    On my 06 the only spot where I had to fix rust is the third brake light. It's a crappy Mazda design that I did not catch in time. It is corrected now and rust hasn't returned for almost two years now.
    I wouldn't go as far as saying rustproofing will "eliminate" the possibility of rust, that is simply impossible if you drive your vehicle in winter. It will suppress it pretty well though, and add years to your cars life and possibly save you some money, (as mentioned spraying will protect more than just panels; sub frame, fuel and brake lines as an example) Problem today is the use of Brine on the roads, its nasty even compared to road salt, as they use magnesium chloride which is extremely corrosive and wants to eat through everything on your car. Krown has apparently changed their formula in an effort to fight against Brine also...

I don't think anyone on here stated waxing will prevent rust, but there are many other benefits to waxing, and they all have the effect of protecting your paint.

_3
    Last edited by Flagrum_3; 01-06-2017 at 05:18 PM.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oil rustproofing when applied to a rust free surface and provided that it does not get washed off and the protective coating stays intact, will definitely NOT delay, but prevent rust from forming. The only reason rust still shows up in some areas is because: 1) the coating gets washed of or is removed by other means, 2) poor application process that leaves some areas untreated, 3) poorly designed areas that normally are not rust prone and therefore do not get the treatment (1st gen third brake light and the B pillar are a perfect example of that), 4) there are many plastic covers and splash guard that do not get removed by Krown and other shops before rustproofing, leaving the areas behind them untreated. These can trap dirt and salt and eventually rust shows up.

I agree that there will always be a chance for the rust to develop in some hidden or poorly designed area and there is no way of knowing these areas before the rust starts. And I think it's these types of situations that most of the posters talk about here, but it all gets lumped as "rustproofing doesn't prevent rust, only slows it down".

Im just trying to clarify the notion that rustproofing only slows down the rust, it doesn't, but the problem is that cars have many hidden areas where rustproofng doesn't get to or is easily washed off and that's why it may appear that rust is only being slowed down.

Also, my MZ3 may not have been waxed for a long time and it only gets washed every few months, but when I do get around to washing it, it still looks pretty good. It has some dings and scratches, what 10 year old daily driver and family hauler doesn't? But overall I think lack of rust helps tremendously with the overall appearance.

Here is a most recent photo I uploaded, from late 2015 I think.
    Last edited by stock3; 01-07-2017 at 10:10 AM.

Ride
    2008 Eclipse GS 2.4L 4G69
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi guys, after reading through this discussion, just thought I'd put a few thoughts in. Hand washing is the best way to go as you can pay a lot more attention to the car's little details, which in my honest opinion, is the biggest villain. Getting rust spots on big panels is no biggie as you can definitely see it. The tiny rust spots that form in places you can't see are what destroys the car from the inside out. Rust proofing is amazing and I would highly recommend it. But keep in mind that you should take care of most of the outstanding rust before getting it rust proofed as there is no point in rust proofing an already rusted out panel. Just my two cents.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just like what they said. It won't completely stop/prevent rust.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast