Ride
    2015 Nissan Rogue
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How to replace HVAC bulbs

For those of you that need to replace the burnt out bulbs in your HVAC, here is a write up on how to do it.

Bulb part number is BP4K-61-C95

Picture courtesy of Gabbygenier.

Note: This only for reference. I will not be held responsible for any damages you do to your car.

Remove the dash strip and the radio:

Now that you have removed the trim, unscrew the screws that hold the factory stereo in place (the botton row, as shown circled in red), and pull the stereo unit towards you (the LCD screen will stay attached to the unit).

2 cables will be plugged in the back of the stereo. The fat, square one is the main harness. To unplug it, push on the little tab at the bottom, then pull, gently but firmly. The round cable with a red tip is the antenna. To remove it, same thing, pull gently but firmly. Once you have removed these cables, you will be able to completely remove the stereo unit.

Now you have to remove the center console:
    Remove the cup holder compartment, by simply pulling on it, as indicated on the following photo:

Release the gear shift knob unit, by simply lifting it, as shown:

This will reveal 2 screws that hold the ashtray compartment. Unscrew them as indicated, then pull the ashtray compartment towards you (it helps to stick your thumb in the cigarette lighter hole):

Remove the two bolts that so that you will have access to the 2 screw behind it.
    Remove the two screws.

Now comes the fun part.
    If you look on top of the HVAC unit, there are two wires that are attached:

Use a set if needle nose pliers and remove the 2 C-clips that hod the wire in place. DO NOT LOOSE THESE CLIPS !!!

Now use the pliers and grab the wire casing around the wire and push it back so that it no longer attached to the top of the HVAC.

Using a set of needle nose pliers and manipulating the HVAC unit, you can unclip the wires from the HVAC. This part was prb the most frustrating as the wires have a " L " bend at the end. This is what keeps the wires attached the controls.

Disconnect the wire harnesses form the HVAC:

At the back of the HVAC you will see two holes. This is where the bulbs are.

By using a small flat head screwdriver, remove the bulbs from the circuit and replace with the new ones.

I would hate to put everything back together and find out one side is still not lit up.
    So hook up the wire harness to the back of the HVAC and turn on your lights to be sure everything is working.
    Once you have confirmed that everything is lit up, reinstall everything and now you don't have to fumble in the dark with the HVAC.

Pictures were taken by me as well as from this thread: LINK
    Last edited by yearoftherat; 05-13-2011 at 04:17 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yearoftherat For This Useful Post:

npausuav (06-08-2016),TommyMazda (09-26-2016)

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How to replace the bulbs in the HVAC unit

Great write-up Chris!!

What size bulbs are required for replacements?
    Last edited by cwp_sedan; 05-13-2011 at 03:12 PM.

Ride
    2015 Nissan Rogue
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cwp_sedan View Post
    Great write-up Chris!!

What size bulbs are required for replacements?
    Added to OP - Part number is BP4K-61-C95

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if you want diff color bulbs they are NEOWedge Type T4

and like Chris said. do not loose the C clips. i lost one and now the dial dosent work properly. and also the best way i found to put them back it was the same way u took them out, with needle nose pliers.

and i made the mistake the first time. put the bulbs in and put it all back together to realize one was in the wrong way haha

nice writeup though
    Last edited by gabbygenier; 05-13-2011 at 03:34 PM.
    2004 mazda 3 GT Sedan Indigo Blue.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I get these bulbs at the dealer?

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Delete View Post
    Can I get these bulbs at the dealer?
    Yes you can.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried, they told to try ebayor pacific mall. Or atleast mazda direct did

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried, they told to try ebayor pacific mall. Or atleast mazda direct did
    PM Flipdady (Joe) or someone at QEW.

Part number is BP4K-61-C95 according to YOTR.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I muniplulate the 'L' wires?di you just bend them straight? Then bend them back?
    Last edited by Delete; 06-09-2011 at 06:44 PM.

Ride
    2015 Nissan Rogue
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do I muniplulate the 'L' wires?di you just bend them straight? Then bend them back?
    Do not bend the wires as there is a chance they will break.
    You have to lift the HVAC and til it towards the console and at the same time use needle nose pliers to manipulate the wires out. Take your time and they will come out.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

K I removed the l wires. Now how do I remove the bulbs, they lock after one rotation?

Thank you yearoftherat, machx and cwp_sedan for all your help. I never want to do that again.
    Last edited by Delete; 06-09-2011 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Solved

Ride
    2015 Nissan Rogue
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

K I removed the l wires. Now how do I remove the bulbs, they lock after one rotation?

Thank you yearoftherat, machx and cwp_sedan for all your help. I never want to do that again.
    The bulbs will lock with one rotation. Check to make sure the bulbs work BEFORE you put everything back together. Glad to be of help.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

advice where can i buy those bulbs... can anyone tell me and website or something...
    at the mazda they asked for 8,99 for each...
    any other places?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry I couldn't tell from the photos. But are you able to access the A/C button at all from the back. Mine i sticking.. I think someone spilled a liquid on it. I was wondering if it can be popped out and be cleaned??

Ride
    2015 Nissan Rogue
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodzy View Post
    Sorry I couldn't tell from the photos. But are you able to access the A/C button at all from the back. Mine i sticking.. I think someone spilled a liquid on it. I was wondering if it can be popped out and be cleaned??
    IIRC, the circuit board is held in by 4 screws and clips. Remove the screws and pop out the circuit board will give you access to the buttons.

Ride
    Speciallized Allez 16 Spd
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The bulb with socket as quoted to my by my dealer is $ 9.99 a piece. You can however, reuse the socket and just purchase the bulb before you do the replacement. The bulb number is not listed from the owners manual nor from Sylvania's website. As a reference, the bulb number is #2174 which cost $ 1.05 a piece on-line. I purchased 5 pcs. if this just to save money in the long run.
    2006 Mazda 3 A/T, Charcoal Grey, AXELA Badge, Front/Rear Drilled Rotors, New Front/Rear Powerstop Evolution Z16 Ceramic Brake Pads,
    Sensen Front Shocks, KYB GR2 Rear Shocks, All Stock, Aftermarket HID 8000k 55watts DRL, Aftermarket HID 8000k 35watts high beam, 120k kms (Aug. 6, 2012).

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How to replace HVAC bulbs

FYI. The T4 NEO WEDGE LED bulbs sold online are nowhere near as bright as the OEM bulbs. They do the trick and light it up, but not as much as the OEM.

Unrelated (Sort of) the LED bulbs online T5 to replace the cigarette lighter bulb doesn't work as well as an incandescent bulb, likely because LEDs are pretty directional, whereas incandescent bulbs will spread the light around the sides (not only towards the tip of the bulb) Also the round tipped bulbs are too long for the cigarette lighter, but the flat tipped are likely even more directional due to the flat top.
    Last edited by JaYson; 04-10-2013 at 04:04 PM.
    2006 Mazda 3 GT - K&N Drop-in Filter - 6000K HID Lows - LED Fogs - LED Interior

To Do: Hawk HPS - ETB Ground

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JaYson View Post
    FYI. The T4 NEO WEDGE LED bulbs sold online are nowhere near as bright as the OEM bulbs. They do the trick and light it up, but not as much as the OEM.

Unrelated (Sort of) the LED bulbs online T5 to replace the cigarette lighter bulb doesn't work as well as an incandescent bulb, likely because LEDs are pretty directional, whereas incandescent bulbs will spread the light around the sides (not only towards the tip of the bulb) Also the round tipped bulbs are too long for the cigarette lighter, but the flat tipped are likely even more directional due to the flat top.
    +1 but it all depends on the colour also. i have the blue ones and yes they're not as bright. also put green in a friends car and they were better. but then he went back to stock. and instead of getting new bulbs and repainting the piece red, i got red leds and they are way brighter then the stock and you can see it all the way around.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just used these instructions today to replace my HVAC controls, since something had gotten loose and the A/C would flicker on and off. I feared for the a/c compressor clutch so I got a "new" set of controls from a local wrecker and I was off to the races! Thanks YOTR!

Only thing I would re-emphasize in these instructions is to be really cautious of those fiddly white retention clips on the lower sides of the control housing, I broke one removing my old controls and the replacement had both sides broken off. It seems to be fairly solid but I'll have to drive and see if it rattles.
    Now: WedsSport, Dunlop, TechnaFit, AEM, Hawk, DBA, ApexCone, Racing Beat, Koni, AWR, SPC. Soon: Exedy

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Dude thanks for the picture I just in plugged the wires still i am locked with bulbs

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabbygenier View Post
    if you want diff color bulbs they are NEOWedge Type T4

and like Chris said. do not loose the C clips. i lost one and now the dial dosent work properly. and also the best way i found to put them back it was the same way u took them out, with needle nose pliers.
    Yea, I lost a clip too, but found a way to fix the issue! I put the cable jacket where it was supposed to go, and then put a shit-ton of superglue on and around the jacket and slot. Works perfectly to hold the jacket in place! I'll be screwed if I ever have to switch out the bulbs in there again, but I probably wouldn't want to do that myself again anyway...what a pain in the ass.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After a day, I was able to follow the instructions to take thing apart and put things back together.

4 additional notes:
    1. When I pried the C-rings out, I put see through plastic wrap over the screw driver (I used metal olive pick). Ring didn't fly, but...

2. I lost a ring when I put everything back; I suggest before you do your job, go to Lowe's to buy (see pic link) Hillman E-clips Metric M4, you get 8-10 of these for 2 bucks; they fit.

3. This link has another set of photo on how to resolve the intermitten A/C light flickering - it's due to worn out plastic on the nob.
    http://www.mazda3forums.com/355-tech...nual-ac-2.html

4. If you decide to change the A/C unit light bulb w/ LED, you will likely need to clip some of the plastic out as the LED mold isn't as precise as the OEM bulb. If you didn't clip and tried to "screw" it, you will likely ruin the base. I actually took the front Hvac plate out to make sure I turned the bulb correctly.

Thank you very much for those who do this write up.

Pic link:
    https://flic.kr/p/HwWjDd
    https://flic.kr/p/HwWjU3
    https://flic.kr/p/HzTUwa
    https://flic.kr/p/Hrmury

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for this write-up (and the pics that are still available!)

I was able to get my HVAC unit out yesterday, and yeah those C-clips/getting the wires out is the worst part.
    For the C-clips I used a flathead screwdriver to just pry them off, after failing to pull them off with the needlenose plyers. The first one I did by accident, and the clip flew off and fell somewhere behind the unit, down in there. I tried fishing around for it with my magnet, and after about 2 minutes of just shoving it down in there as much as i could, i was surprised to see that I had managed to grab it.

Second one I stuffed a bunch of paper towels between the black plastic that is sitting above the HVAC unit and the unit itself to try to keep the thing from flying away. I also tried to hold onto the clip with the pliers while prying it off with the screwdriver, and was able to get it off fairly easily.

But anyways, thanks again for doing this write up!

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the write-up. I took the unit out and am now trying to replace the bulbs. However the bulbs (direct from dealer) don't seem to lock into place.
    The thing is the bulbs look the same as the bulbs I'm replacing, so this shouldn't be an issue... The original ones installed can be turned (about 1/8) and they lock into place, but the new ones won't. The part #is BP4K-61-C95. I tried for some time. Anyone else experienced this? I think I'll return them to the dealer and be like wtf is going on.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nevermind. Bulbs are correct... It turns out that re-seating the new bulbs required a lot more force than the old ones. I was afraid of damaging the little $10 bulbs and HVAC unit (probably expensive to replace) lol

27. The Following User Says Thank You to TommyMazda For This Useful Post:

cwp_sedan (09-26-2016)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast