Thread: Installing aftermarket Double din stereo dash for MS3

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Installing aftermarket Double din stereo dash for MS3

what system you guys using? does all the built in steering controls work. bluetooth etc..?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Installing aftermarket Double din stereo dash for MS3

I am using a qualir system which is similar to the Eonon and other oem style head units.
    steering wheel controls for calls do not work, but there are buttons on the head unit itself. Everything else works from the steering wheeel, track change, volume .
    i think most Oem style head units have problems with the steering wheel phone controls.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah thats what i read too. cant have it all basically. and oem stereo is ugly af

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder if you could make the maestro SW work with the eonon, it retains factory buttons, including Bluetooth. I love it on my Kenwood DNX890.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current: 2012 Mazdaspeed3 Tech CWP
    Mods to Date:
    Custom Halo headlights, DRL delete, Kenwood DNX890HD, Kenwood KFC-3009 x2(12"), Kenwood 1800Watt Amp, LED interior lights, LED switchbacks, LED fogs.
    Previous:2012 Mazda 3 Sky-GS in CWP, 2012 16W Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2010 CWP Mazda 3 GT Hatchback SOLD, 2009 Metropolitan Grey Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2007 Carbon Grey Mica Mazda 3 GS Hatch SOLD

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reddie1337 View Post
    I wonder if you could make the maestro SW work with the eonon, it retains factory buttons, including Bluetooth. I love it on my Kenwood DNX890.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I recall reading it is not a software issue but hardware.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hardware of what? The Eonon? Doesn't the Eonon come with a steering wheel control module? Couldn't you change it onto the Maestro SW?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have any trouble installing aftermarket audio with the factory bose system on a gen 1?

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reddie1337 View Post
    Hardware of what? The Eonon? Doesn't the Eonon come with a steering wheel control module? Couldn't you change it onto the Maestro SW?
    It's related to the OEM BT hardware / module in the car. Buttonson the wheel for audio controls go to the HU. Buttons for the BT controls go to the BT module. When you install an aftermarket HU BT is now built into the HU and the OEM BT module is bypassed... thus no buttons without extra work.

Without getting into the car's electronics too deep you need a specialty interface to make those steering wheel BT buttons work with a traditional aftermarket HU. As mentioned above another user used the Maestro interface. I used a PAC-MAZ2 OEM interface when I had my 2nd gen. Everything worked great, except the BT command button was ported over to a mute button. However the receive and end call buttons worked fine. The other benefits were this interface provided a plug and play connection for parking brake and reverse inputs for the HU making reverse cam install as simple as it could possibly be.

This also allowed me to put my own phrase up in the then useless red dash LCD screen where audio info used to go. From that point on my car said "Zoom-Zoom" up there.

I didn't have Bose. I believe other people have used this with Bose systems but had to do something additional, however I'm not sure what. You'd have to search around for more info on that.

Hope that helps.

Link: http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=28
    Last edited by studum; 01-16-2017 at 12:40 PM. Reason: Added product link

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by studum View Post
    It's related to the OEM BT hardware / module in the car. Buttonson the wheel for audio controls go to the HU. Buttons for the BT controls go to the BT module. When you install an aftermarket HU BT is now built into the HU and the OEM BT module is bypassed... thus no buttons without extra work.

Without getting into the car's electronics too deep you need a specialty interface to make those steering wheel BT buttons work with a traditional aftermarket HU. As mentioned above another user used the Maestro interface. I used a PAC-MAZ2 OEM interface when I had my 2nd gen. Everything worked great, except the BT command button was ported over to a mute button. However the receive and end call buttons worked fine. The other benefits were this interface provided a plug and play connection for parking brake and reverse inputs for the HU making reverse cam install as simple as it could possibly be.

This also allowed me to put my own phrase up in the then useless red dash LCD screen where audio info used to go. From that point on my car said "Zoom-Zoom" up there.

I didn't have Bose. I believe other people have used this with Bose systems but had to do something additional, however I'm not sure what. You'd have to search around for more info on that.

Hope that helps.

Link: http://www.pac-audio.com/productDeta...&CategoryID=28
    I am aware that the bluetooth buttons go to the module on the passenger side of the dash, I was just mentioning that when I installed my Kenwood DNX890, using a Maestro SW unit, I just had to connect the wire for the bluetooth buttons from the unit on the passenger side, and all the buttons work perfectly, including the voice button (Turns Siri on through the Kenwood deck to my iPhone)

I was more just wondering why you couldn't use the Maestro SW control setup with a deck like the Eonon to retain factory Bluetooth buttons and their functions. I guess replacing the unit that comes with the Eonon for steering wheel controls.