View Poll Results: Which manual transmission vehicle would you buy?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2016 Mazda3 Sport

3 30.00%
  • 2017 Mazda3 Sport

6 60.00%
  • 2017 Honda HR-V

1 10.00%

Thread: 2016 vs 2017 Mazda3 Sport

Ride
    Honda CR-V, Honda Odyssey
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2016 vs 2017 Mazda3 Sport

I am no longer selling Mazdas so haven't been around them as much these days. I currently have a 2010 Mazda3 Sport GX with manual trans and A/C that I am giving to my 17 year old son. I am looking at the 2016 and 2017 Mazda3 Sport models and a lot has changed since I bought almost 7 years ago. I knew back then that I wanted the 2.0L Mazda so the 2010 Sport GS was out (had the 2.5L). I now see Mazda only puts the bigger 2.5L engine in the GT models (sedan and hatch). I am buying another manual transmission car and have it narrowed down to the 2016 and 2017 3Sport. I see that the GS only adds $1500 on the 2016 and $1750 on the 2017 so it is an option now. I have a 13 year old daughter who will eventually learn to drive on this car and get it when she is 17. I don't know much about the electronic parking brake that now comes on the 2017. I don't like the fact that I won't be able to change the brake pads myself with the EPB but I am wondering if it will make it easier for her learn with the manual transmission. I am thinking the EPB could be engaged when stopped on an incline and the car would not be allowed to roll back? Correct me if I am wrong. My son had experience riding motorcycles with manual transmissions so it was easy to teach him. He did struggle a couple of times when he had to stop on a hill with traffic all around. This was in out manual transmission 2011 Mazda Tribute which has the parking brake mounted on the floor with a pedal (terrible design and not sure why Mazda moved it from the center console like older Tributes). Sorry to get off topic. I am sure I can get better deals on remaining 2016 Mazda3 Sport models so just wondering if most people think it is worth paying extra for the 2017. I like the styling on both (not much is different) so that is not a factor. I would probably just choose the cheaper sedan if I were keeping the car for myself but want my daughter to have the same space as my son when she takes the car. Both kids love dogs, snowboarding, and mountain biking so the added room of the hatch is needed. I plan to buy within the next 2 months and have it narrowed down to the 2016 Mazda3 Sport GX or GS, 2017 Mazda3 Sport GX or GS, and 2017 Honda HR-V LX 2WD with manual trans (love the idea of the Magic Seat). I've yet to drive the HR-V because there aren't any around with manual trans. Thanks for any replies.

Ride
    2019 Lexus RCF
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2016 vs 2017 Mazda3 Sport

It might help to split into paragraphs...regardless, I would go with the practical option - 2016 Mazda3 Sport. It's hard for me to justify spending extra on the 2017 while you can save more and have better buying power when getting 2016.

I can't comment on HRV, but that seems like a solid option if:
    1. You want something else (major factor)
    2. Price is similar to 2016/2017
    3. Manual (based on your preferences)
    4. Similar or more cabin/cargo space as Mazda 3
    His: 2019 Lexus RCF V8
    Hers: 2017 Subaru Forester Limited 2.5L

aZumi @ SSR website
    aZumi @ Cobb website

Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Disregard the question about using the electronic parking brake to prevent rolling back when stopped on a hill with the manual transmission Mazda3. My former co-worker at Mazda informed me all of the manual transmission Mazda3's since 2015 have "Hill Launch Assist" which will keep the brakes applied on a hill for 2 seconds or until the car starts to move forward which eliminates the need to use the parking brake to prevent roll backs on starts. Good to know! I have also been considering the Mazda3 sedan and see that the GX no longer has the 60/40 split fold down rear seat. I am now torn between the 2016 Mazda3 Sport GX and 2016 Mazda3 GS for $500 more. I like some of the added features on the GS but think I might miss the usefulness of the hatch.

Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you for the reply. I agree that I should have separated it into paragraphs to make the first post easier to read. I tried to go back and edit it but could not find any edit button anywhere. I have it narrowed down to a 2016 Mazda3 Sport GX in aluminum metallic with manual transmission and a Honda HR-V LX but I still cannot find one in a manual trans to try. I own 2 Hondas now plus 1 Mazda and owned an Acura and another Mazda in the past so I have been happy with both brands. Pricing and cargo room is similar in the HR-V and Mazda3 Sport but I do like the magic seat option offered by Honda and wish it was available on more models.

Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I looked up the cargo capacities of both vehicles and the HR-V has surpisingly much more room, even when you don't factor in the magic seat which is great for being able to put a bicycle behind the front row of seats and still having the entire cargo area free.

Mazda3 Sport: 20.2 cubic feet with seats up & 47.1 with seats folded.
    Honda HR-V: 24.3 cubic feet with seats up & 58.8 with seats folded.

Links to cargo figures:
    https://www.cars.com/articles/2014/1...n-cargo-space/
    https://www.cars.com/reviews/our-vie...1420689346121/

Jr Member
    Ride
    2012 Volvo C30 T5
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would do the 2016 3.

I own a 2.0 litre 2015 Sport GS with manual transmission and manual parking brake. It does indeed have hill assist but it's not 100% flawless. On very slight inclines it only engages about 2/3rds of the time. You must be ready to catch it. The shifts feel fantastic and it's the easiest clutch ever. Taught my girlfriend to drive it with just 2 stalls.

The 2.0 litre puts out similar numbers to the old 2.3 litre engine. Fuel economy is phenomenonal. I've averaged 6.9/100 over 20000km. My record lowest fuel use drive is 4.7.

It has no power when floored until you're above 4000rpm. But the handling is perfect. I've spent thousands on my Volvo trying to make it corner like this car does stock on 16" tires.

The reason I don't recommend the 2017 is looks (2016 looks so much nicer), cost, and most of all the EPB. I'm much less concerned about the manual brake failing.

Regardless of what you choose no 3 will let you down. They are all fantastic. If you have any specific questions feel free to PM me. Good luck!
    Never stop zoom-zooming

Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you. I am happy with the performance of the 2.0L, especially since it will go to a teenage girl in a few years. I bought the 2010 2.0L for myself but could have purchased the 2.5L or even the 2.3L turbo from the Speed3. I drove every single Mazda while working there and the Sport GX 2.0 with manual trans was my pick back in 2010 and I have no regrets, plus it left me with extra money to spend on motorcyles. I still want to test the HR-V but a quick call to the local Honda dealership revealed that they don't even have one on order. I did read that the manual in the HR-V isn't as good as some from past Hondas and buyers should "try before you buy". I am 90% sure about the Mazda3 Sport, just not sure if I should wait to see what the deals are in Feb/March or go for it now with $1050 off, 0%/72 months and $500 owner renewal discount.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there's been way too many reported issues with the electric parking brake in europe and australia... they, and japan got them first
    stick to the tried and true mechanical parking brake

hill launch assist exists on ALL models... not just manuals

the only real gain you'll get from the 2017 is G-vectoring control and heated steering wheel... nice to have but not necessary
    Since you're not getting the GT, you're not losing much.... it's only when you want to get the GT that you're better off getting the 2017 if you want to get the luxury package... they moved a couple of things from the tech package into it, making it a better deal... besides this, they improved the smart city brake support to work at higher speed, improved the radar cruise control to work at highly illegal speeds, made the heads up display colour and make it show traffic signs (part of its new ability to recognize a small number of traffic signs)

the other minor improvements to the 2017 include added sound proofing in the exhaust tunnel (under the centre console) and an added harmonic dampener on the rear cross member to improve ride comfort

it's nice and all, but the electronic parking brake is a deal killer despite its clean looks and the inevitably broken cupholder sliding lid

stick with the 2016, you'll be happier... try to find a Japan build if you can... they are built better but it takes a trained eye to see those differences from the Mexico build... there are fewer defects and design flaws too
    besides, I tend to like the interior motif better the 2014-2016 than the 2017... I think they tried too hard to go upscale and the various trim piece colours they changed just doesn't mesh well with the interior

as for the HR-V... the long term ownership costs of a hybrid just isn't worth it, plus Honda stripped down the HR-V way too much for the export market... look at the JDM Vezel, it's much nicer... Mazda had been nice and not hold back from us too much
    Last edited by TheMAN; 01-13-2017 at 01:58 AM.
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Ride
    Honda CBR600F4i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hondon't

Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am liking the idea of the cable parking brake as well so the 2016 does seem to be the one for me. I do wish there was more of a discount on the '16s so I might wait to see if the deals are better in the next month or 2, even though that means risking them being sold out.

TheMAN: I believe you are thinking about the hybrid Honda CR-Z. The HR-V has a 1.8L 4 cylinder from the previous generation Civic. Thank you for the reminder to find a Japan built 3. All were built in Japan when I used to sell them. I will be sure to check the VIN for one starting with J.

Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 2016 Mazda3 Sport GX I am looking at was built in Mexico and the 2017 Sport GX the same dealer has was built in Japan so that is something to consider.

Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After talking it over with my wife, we have decided to wait until late March or early April to buy. I will see what is left then for 2016s and I have a feeling I might only have 2017s to choose from, and I can live with that. Thanks for all the help.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by peimazdasales View Post
    I am liking the idea of the cable parking brake as well so the 2016 does seem to be the one for me. I do wish there was more of a discount on the '16s so I might wait to see if the deals are better in the next month or 2, even though that means risking them being sold out.

TheMAN: I believe you are thinking about the hybrid Honda CR-Z. The HR-V has a 1.8L 4 cylinder from the previous generation Civic. Thank you for the reminder to find a Japan built 3. All were built in Japan when I used to sell them. I will be sure to check the VIN for one starting with J.
    ok, I got confused with the Vezel which is also available as a hybrid... in any case, the HR-V is mexican built if you care

Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you. I had never heard the name Vezel so had to look it up. I didn't realize it was another name for HR-V and a hybrid powertrain was optional.

I did know the HR-V was made in Mexico and its definitely something to think about, although there certainly are LOTS of cars being built there now, good or bad.

A friend drove a Yaris sedan (Mazda2) and had good things to say. I see its built in Mexico too. Its a shame Mazda didn't continue to sell the Mazda2 here but not enough people bought them and Mazda can make more money by disguising it as a CUV (CX-3).

Ride
    2021 CX-30 GT Turbo
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something you might want to consider is that if you're on the older side (and I don't want to assume anything), eventually you get to an age where the convenience of a higher vehicle becomes more important. You don't have to bend as much to get in. Something in favor of the HR-V. My father recently went from a car to a Subaru Forester and that's the #1 thing he likes about the new vehicle. I don't think you'll have a problem with either car, they're both solid.

Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good point but getting in the Mazda3 is no problem, even in my mid-40s. I don't know if/when I will get to try a HR-V with manual transmission! My mother drives a Miata and I hope to stay in as good of shape as she is. I started doing DDP yoga and I'm loving it. "It ain't your Mama's yoga".