Thread: Electromagnetic Rust Inhibitor - Opinions?

Noob
    Ride
    Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Electromagnetic Rust Inhibitor - Opinions?

G'day,
    Anyone have any real world experience with these electromagnetic rust inhibitors? I've read a bunch of material that says they are bogus, and I've read some studies that conclusively prove they work. Anecdotal information seems to support both sides. I take ownership of a new Mazda 3 GT on Monday, and opted to take the rust inhibitor package for $2k. Brand name is Final Coat.

Now before you crucify me for spending $2k on a rust inhibitor - here is what I really bought:
    • Rust inhibitor with 10 year perforation warranty
    • Paint protection with chip warranty
    • Leather protection with tear warranty
    • Tire & rim protection warranty
    • AND - Free oil changes for the life of the vehicle

To me the value is in the free oil changes and the rest of the package is free. So I guess you could say I bought an oil change package and got a complimentary rust inhibitor. I'm a high mileage driver and will do about 8 oil changes a year. Doesn't take long to know off the $2k.

I am seriously interested in people's opinions on the rust inhibitor though.

Sean.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Electromagnetic Rust Inhibitor - Opinions?

You're right, the evidence either way isn't too conclusive. That being said, cars are being much better made every year and any manufacturer who cares about quality is either galvanizing and/or ED coating all their body panels. Provided that the terms and conditions of those warranties aren't so exclusive that they'll never actually honour your claims, it's not too bad. Honestly though, a few hundred at an auto parts store would buy you the exact same module.

The oil changes thing is nice, but at $50 per change and an 8000km interval, you're looking at 320,000kms for that to pay for itself.

Again, if they'll keep their word on all those warranties (I can only assume that the conditions will exclude 'normal wear and tear etc'), then you did ok. The electronic gizmo is pretty gimicky, however, considering that the majority of cars around you don't have them.

Noob
    Ride
    Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Haven't picked up the car yet, so haven't actually done an oil change yet. My understanding was that being full synthetic oil changes - they were closer to $80 or $90 than $50. Either way - 320,000km won't be an issue. I drive around 70,000km per year and have retired 2 consecutive vehicles at close to 500,000km each. This is one of the reasons I went with Mazda this time - to try out their unlimited km warranty. Also one of the reasons I want to ensure all of the oil changes are done and paid for at the dealership - as opposed to doing them myself like I usually do. Fully tracked and no reason not to do them there as they are already paid for.

Ping me in 7 years and I'll give you my full report on the Final Coat electromagnetic thing-a-ma-jigger-bob, as well as the other warranties

Sean.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anecdotal evidence is always the best!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You bought an extra 2 years of rust wrranty. Mazda comes factory with "Body sheet metal perforation for 8 years and unlimited mileage (on 2013 model year and newer)"

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Noob
    Ride
    Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In terms of that package - which is titled "Rust Inhibitor Package" - the least important thing to me is the *RUST* part... I ask the question about the electromagnetic inhibitor as I'm actually curious about it.

The real value in the package to me is everything else - most notably the oil changes that I'll be in for about every 6 weeks - that more than pays for the package. I never would have spent that money if it was only for the rust inhibitor and associated warranty. As a literal freebie over the oil changes - I'm going to be very interested to see how it turns out. Kind of a zero cost experiment for me.

My cars generally die of mileage, long before they die of rust. We run about 70,000km per year. The 2010 diesel Jetta I'm retiring has 465,000km on it and is showing surface rust now - no perforations - had no additional rust proofing.

Picking the car up today - 1st time Mazda owner... 2017 Mazda 3 GT - Auto - Premium Pkg

Sean.

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sdboers View Post
    In terms of that package - which is titled "Rust Inhibitor Package" - the least important thing to me is the *RUST* part... I ask the question about the electromagnetic inhibitor as I'm actually curious about it.

The real value in the package to me is everything else - most notably the oil changes that I'll be in for about every 6 weeks - that more than pays for the package. I never would have spent that money if it was only for the rust inhibitor and associated warranty. As a literal freebie over the oil changes - I'm going to be very interested to see how it turns out. Kind of a zero cost experiment for me.

My cars generally die of mileage, long before they die of rust. We run about 70,000km per year. The 2010 diesel Jetta I'm retiring has 465,000km on it and is showing surface rust now - no perforations - had no additional rust proofing.

Picking the car up today - 1st time Mazda owner... 2017 Mazda 3 GT - Auto - Premium Pkg

Sean.
    Those free oil changes reminds me of a friend's husband who got that on a Civic. 20 some years later he still has it. Service advisors love him because he never gets any work done at the dealership but always on time for his oil changes.

Hope the car lasts you at least several years. If the car lasts 5 years @70,000 km/yr = 350,000 km, would be awesome. Not quite break even unless you reach about 8 years at about 4 oil changes a year but certainly worth it if you get any rust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noob
    Ride
    Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    Not quite break even unless you reach about 8 years at about 4 oil changes a year
    But I'll break even much faster than that. At 70,000km per year I'll be doing 8-9 oil changes per year not 4. This dealership doesn't limit the quantity per year (like I've seen others), just based on mileage, so I'll get my full 8 a year covered.

Sean.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to sdboers For This Useful Post:

Jackal (01-31-2017)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those free oil changes reminds me of a friend's husband who got that on a Civic. 20 some years later he still has it. Service advisors love him because he never gets any work done at the dealership but always on time for his oil changes.

Hope the car lasts you at least several years. If the car lasts 5 years @70,000 km/yr = 350,000 km, would be awesome. Not quite break even unless you reach about 8 years at about 4 oil changes a year but certainly worth it if you get any rust.

lol dude what math are you using if he does 70,000 km a year then oil changes every 8k would be is 8.75 oil changes a year at every 8k. at say 60 bucks saved service plus tax = $525 a year. so in 4 years the 2 k in warranty is well paid.

in my case.. it wouldnt have been worth it. unless i could change the oil earlier. ive done 155k and thats only a little over $1100.

but yea those rust modules... dont work. least i dont really think they do..ha ha i say that because we had one come in with rust and the warranty company said after the repair to rust proof spray it for free..however i did rust proof and put a module i had on the new jeep we got. i dont care peace of mind is better then not.

but all of the other warranty is nice. just read the fine print. i would be worried about the stone chip warranty.. because they are not going to paint panels for you. im sure thats just stone chip touch ups. so be careful there. same with leather protection.. like ive seen warranty that covers front seat facing material but not the back of the front seat. weird right.. i know but thats what they said.

but yea all the other stuff sounds good. just check the fine print on what and how its covered and if any or what you need to do to maintain it. inspections / reapplications.

also is only the original tires? or if you buy new tires are those covered?

@sdboers
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Costco = good cheap solution
    Just go to automotive and ask to see their nuts
    It's like a buck a nut

Noob
    Ride
    Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I made a mistake about the stone chips - those aren't covered. Well they are - they gave me touch up paint... lol...

All tires on the car for the next 5 years are covered. The original tires and rims, the snow tires and rims, and any replacement tires I get over the next 5 years.

There are of course limitations and maximums and all of the various warranties. Everything seems reasonable on paper - you never really know until you go to file a claim. Hoping not to have to bother finding out!

But here is some cold hard evidence for you on the rust module. They really do work!! I'm a full 24 hours into my new car and boom! Not a spec of rust anywhere! Can't deny that evidence!

I do find the rust warranty interesting though. If a stone chip rusts - it is covered once it becomes a perforation. If the paint bubbles up without paint penetration to cause it - that's covered before it becomes a perforation.

- Perforation: $3000 coverage max
    - Paint bubbling: $3000 coverage max
    - Paint fade \ discoloration: 6 years, $2000 coverage
    - Leather: $1000 coverage
    - Fabric: $1000 coverage

As long as I view this whole thing as free oil changes with potential perks - I shouldn't be disappointed.

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe Mazda is really sure they have this rust thing licked if they are offering this. They'd be bankrupt if they offered this on the gen 1s. Some of those started to show rust in the first few years. There were quite a few exceptions mind you, but those were the ones that meticulously detailed and decontaminated their cars.

I think I used lazy Math on that one. I couldn't see myself going 8-9 times a year for oil changes. Don't have time for that. Maybe I'd do it for the first year. Haha.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe Mazda is really sure they have this rust thing licked if they are offering this. They'd be bankrupt if they offered this on the gen 1s. Some of those started to show rust in the first few years. There were quite a few exceptions mind you, but those were the ones that meticulously detailed and decontaminated their cars.

I think I used lazy Math on that one. I couldn't see myself going 8-9 times a year for oil changes. Don't have time for that. Maybe I'd do it for the first year. Haha.

The schedule is every 8000K so if you don't want to eff up your warranty then you make the time for the oil change. Mazda or any other car maker has the right to deny coverage if you do not follow the schedule.

Pat.

2010 Mazda3 GT Sport..

Resident Deal Provider, UnHaggle Rep, CarCostCanada, EasyCarDiscount
    Ride
    2017 CX-5 GT w/ Tech
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Re: Electromagnetic Rust Inhibitor - Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by S.F.W. View Post
    You bought an extra 2 years of rust wrranty. Mazda comes factory with "Body sheet metal perforation for 8 years and unlimited mileage (on 2013 model year and newer)"

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
    Not entirely correct.

Mazda currently offers a Limited Anti-Perforation Warranty..

By definition, it will cover a hole in the body sheet metal, and it is 5yrs (unlimited kms) and for vehicles exceeding 5yrs it is 7yrs / 160,000km..

Should also mention that is does not cover "any surface corrosion which does not result in a hole, such as that typically caused by sand or salt.

See attached.....
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Damn you photobucket.....

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Electromagnetic Rust Inhibitor - Opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff-TheBiz View Post
    Not entirely correct.

Mazda currently offers a Limited Anti-Perforation Warranty..

By definition, it will cover a hole in the body sheet metal, and it is 5yrs (unlimited kms) and for vehicles exceeding 5yrs it is 7yrs / 160,000km..

Should also mention that is does not cover "any surface corrosion which does not result in a hole, such as that typically caused by sand or salt.

See attached.....
    Also says that all warranty work needs to be done at the dealer. Does this mean for the warranty work related to rust or does it mean all warranty work?

Last edited by Jackal; 02-06-2017 at 08:13 PM.

Noob
    Ride
    Volvo S80, Yamaha 1300
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electronic rust protection devices work on boats which are submersed in water. Unless your car is submersed in water, the only thing these gadgets accomplish is to build your F&I manager's retirement fund.

If you're driving in road salt and plan to keep your car longer than 5 years, the best course of action is a periodic application of Krown, Rust Check or similar oil spray. You can even do it yourself with one or two spray cans, and you don't need to soak the entire car. Just hit the brake lines & fuel lines, metal suspension bits (try to avoid rubber bushings) and inside the subframes, rocker panels, fenders and hatchback/trunk lid.

Noob
    Ride
    Volvo S80, Yamaha 1300
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electronic rust protection devices work on boats which are submersed in water. On a car they are a waste of money... just like most appearance/rust "warranties".

There's no point rustproofing a car that is driven in a southern climate, or which will be traded within 5 or 6 years. Those exposed to winter road salt, however, will last a lot longer with periodic oil sprays like Krown or Rust Check. Even a DIY spray can, selectively targeting the brake lines & fuel lines, metal suspension bits, subframes and lower-body drain holes will make a huge difference after 8 or 10 years.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Electromagnetic rust inhibitors on cars are 100% waste of money, my dad is a corrosion engineer one of a handful of people in North America with his qualifications... He designs these systems on a large scale for bridges, Marina's, pipe lines, the list goes on. In order for the system to work it would have to run off your battery 100% of the time but since when you turn off your car the system turns off it doesn't work... Not to mention the power out of your car battery is actually not enough to power the system to be effective. The best thing on the market for rust protection is krown coating.

Ride
    Honda CBR600F4i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The module is useless but mine came with lifetime rust warranty that can also be transferred. But yeah, annual Krown visits are the way to go.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by AwAfrican View Post
    Electromagnetic rust inhibitors on cars are 100% waste of money, my dad is a corrosion engineer one of a handful of people in North America with his qualifications... He designs these systems on a large scale for bridges, Marina's, pipe lines, the list goes on. In order for the system to work it would have to run off your battery 100% of the time but since when you turn off your car the system turns off it doesn't work... Not to mention the power out of your car battery is actually not enough to power the system to be effective. The best thing on the market for rust protection is krown coating.
    there is two lights on the box. green and red. pretty sure when the cars off the green light stays on. but ill check my jeep tonight. i personally would never use krown. that oil shit leaks from everywhere. made that mistake the first year with my 3. i find the symtech underbody and rust proof much better. stays where it should and doesnt run out of everywhere.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Booter22 View Post
    there is two lights on the box. green and red. pretty sure when the cars off the green light stays on. but ill check my jeep tonight. i personally would never use krown. that oil shit leaks from everywhere. made that mistake the first year with my 3. i find the symtech underbody and rust proof much better. stays where it should and doesnt run out of everywhere.
    Light may stay on, LED lights take very little power, but it cannot pass enough power through your frame to be effective without draining the battery overnight​

Ride
    Honda CBR600F4i
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Booter22 View Post
    For me it's just a single red light which stays on at all times. You can even see it through the gap between the bonnet and the fender on the driver side.

Noob
    Ride
    Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Folks,
    I don't tend to disagree with the comments stating that the product is likely ineffective at best. Bear in mind that I really didn't buy the rust inhibitor package for the rust inhibitor. For me it was more about the lifetime oil changes and the added warranties. The rust inhibitor itself is kinda like a free experiment.

Car is now 6 weeks old and I'm in for my first free oil change this week.

Sean.

Noob
    Ride
    2010 Mazda3 Sport
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey all,

My Mazda3 doesn't have the rust inhibitor but I have brought it to krown every year since I've owned it and it only has a small rust bubble on the hatch (I think from previous owner). This may be off topic but my dads Jeep Liberty has the inhibitor and has brought it to Krown every year since 2009(new). He honestly washes this jeep like once a year (before going to Krown) and it's normally covered in mud/salt (unlike my mazda), there is absolutely no rust to be found anywhere, even the under body.

I'm not sure if this is due to the different sheet metal used by the manufacturer or just extremely lucky maybe? I personally believe that this module definitely isn't 100% rust protection but taking care of your vehicle, with washes and a type of spray yearly will help prevent rust.