Results 1 to 25 of 25

Thread: Rear end noise when going over bumps

  1. #1
    Sr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,017
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 336 Times in 242 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Rear end noise when going over bumps

    so i had this weird metal rattle type noise when going over bumps. we checked the whole suspension at my work. everything was super tight, gave the fuel tank a tap and made the noise it sounds like something on top of the tank let go. maybe a bracket or something. the car drives 100% ok. one of my techs said his brother had an issue similar something about a prefilter bracket letting go on top of the tank. anyone else have a similar issue ever or heard of this. first time ive heard about this being an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lmmorden View Post
    Costco = good cheap solution
    Just go to automotive and ask to see their nuts
    It's like a buck a nut

  2. #2
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    358
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 34 Times in 33 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rear end noise when going over bumps

    The prefilters for non-speed3 models are bespoke to the fuel pump assembly. In terms of any brackets around the fuel tank, there's the two tank straps and the brackets that hold the filler neck in place. Those are pretty much your only culprits. I wouldn't discount stabilizer bar links and bushings as a cause though.

  3. #3
    Uncle Ben
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,012
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 97 Times in 84 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rear end noise when going over bumps

    I had a rattling in the rear end. Turns out both my coil springs broke a half coil. It was making noise like no tomorrow. It broke at the bottom and the broken off pieces remained in the control arm

    The fuel pump is not easy to access. You HAVE to drop the tank. The access panel is WAY off from where the pump sits. I don't see anything being loose on the pump. Just my 2 cents
    Last edited by McGuyver_3; 02-03-2017 at 10:53 PM.
    1991 Nissan Pathfinder - trade in, 2005 Mazda 3 GX ty grey - Write off, 2010 Mazda 3 GT E sedan CWP- trade in, 2010 Speed 3 w/tech CWP - Up for sale (soon), 2007 Mazda 3 GS silver- motor swapped in to 2009 MS3 CWP that had blown engine, 2002 BMW 330ci silver- new winter ride, 2005 BMW M3- new toy

  4. #4
    Sr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,017
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 336 Times in 242 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rear end noise when going over bumps

    checked all the links, checked the springs which are eibachs, they are all good and tight. as soon as you tap the bottom of the gas tank you can duplicate the noise. on the web it sounds like its a baffle in the tank. but i suppose im going to need to take it down to be sure. but what a pain.

  5. #5
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    358
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 34 Times in 33 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rear end noise when going over bumps

    Darn. That's too bad. Can you take lots of photos for the rest of us?

  6. #6
    Sr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,017
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 336 Times in 242 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rear end noise when going over bumps

    Quote Originally Posted by morganc View Post
    Darn. That's too bad. Can you take lots of photos for the rest of us?
    yep i can. prolly wont drop the tank until the spring.

  7. #7
    Sr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,017
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 336 Times in 242 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rear end noise when going over bumps

    so i was told it was the fuel tank. get under the tank hit it and you can hear a rattle and we thought it was a baffle. but im really starting to think its a brake line, i havent yet put it in the air maybe tonight but if the brake lines run over the tank before they split for the rear brakes i think a bracket that holds the line in place has dropped. because when you press the pedal and go over a bump there is no noise and right after no pedal over a bump it rattles.. would be better then buying a new fuel tank i think

    keep you posted

  8. #8
    Sr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,411
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 83 Times in 59 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rear end noise when going over bumps

    it's common for the bushings to go bad in the back.. so you're sure that's not it?
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

  9. #9
    Sr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,017
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 336 Times in 242 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rear end noise when going over bumps

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    it's common for the bushings to go bad in the back.. so you're sure that's not it?
    not a bushing, link, trailing arm, control arm. at least as far as found. everything is tight and no play, but if you tap the gas tank with it in the air you can hear a rattle above it between the tank and floor.

  10. #10
    Sr Member Reddie1337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oakville, Cambridge
    Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Posts
    2,994
    Thanks
    572
    Thanked 440 Times in 323 Posts
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rear end noise when going over bumps

    There is always a rattle in the tank. Every single one I've ever encountered. One thing we have found before is the rear splash shield (bumper) had a plastic nut that loosened, made a hell of a noise.

    Mazda 5 just happens to be inside.



    This one doesn't have a nut on it, but there is a nut on the Mazda 3, just a bit more inside and it may have come loose.

    Check that first.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Current: 2012 Mazdaspeed3 Tech CWP
    Mods to Date:
    Custom Halo headlights, DRL delete, Kenwood DNX890HD, Kenwood KFC-3009 x2(12"), Kenwood 1800Watt Amp, LED interior lights, LED switchbacks, LED fogs.
    Previous:2012 Mazda 3 Sky-GS in CWP, 2012 16W Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2010 CWP Mazda 3 GT Hatchback SOLD, 2009 Metropolitan Grey Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2007 Carbon Grey Mica Mazda 3 GS Hatch SOLD

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Reddie1337 For This Useful Post:

    Booter22 (03-01-2017)

  12. #11
    Sr Member Reddie1337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oakville, Cambridge
    Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Posts
    2,994
    Thanks
    572
    Thanked 440 Times in 323 Posts
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Rear end noise when going over bumps

    If tapatalk didn't get rid of Video uploading (Vimeo) then I would upload a video of the noise in the tank.
    https://vimeo.com/206235234?ref=em-v-share

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Reddie1337; 03-01-2017 at 10:06 AM.

  13. #12
    Sr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,411
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 83 Times in 59 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rear end noise when going over bumps

    Quote Originally Posted by Booter22 View Post
    not a bushing, link, trailing arm, control arm. at least as far as found. everything is tight and no play, but if you tap the gas tank with it in the air you can hear a rattle above it between the tank and floor.
    They can all appear "tight", but when under load, they will make noise
    there are TSBs out for the rear control arm bushings, the sway bar and end link bushings

    For the sway bar, Mazda adopted a Ford design (like the rest of the chassis), and so, there's no stoppers to keep the sway bar from sliding around... there are notches built into the bushings and sway bar that does this work... it doesn't work well enough and so, when the bushings wear out, the sway bar slides around... the TSB fix is to replace the bushings, add the stoppers in (make it like most sway bars), and replace the end links... this quiets down the rear end a lot!

  14. #13
    Sr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,017
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 336 Times in 242 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rear end noise when going over bumps

    Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    They can all appear "tight", but when under load, they will make noise
    there are TSBs out for the rear control arm bushings, the sway bar and end link bushings

    For the sway bar, Mazda adopted a Ford design (like the rest of the chassis), and so, there's no stoppers to keep the sway bar from sliding around... there are notches built into the bushings and sway bar that does this work... it doesn't work well enough and so, when the bushings wear out, the sway bar slides around... the TSB fix is to replace the bushings, add the stoppers in (make it like most sway bars), and replace the end links... this quiets down the rear end a lot!
    so how would i check to see if i need those bushings? will i see if they have worn?

  15. #14
    Sr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,017
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 336 Times in 242 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rear end noise when going over bumps

    Quote Originally Posted by Reddie1337 View Post
    If tapatalk didn't get rid of Video uploading (Vimeo) then I would upload a video of the noise in the tank.
    https://vimeo.com/206235234?ref=em-v-share

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    yep thats pretty close. ill try and make a video tomorrow. its been on the hoist at work all day.. also found one of the aftermarket pads was doing something stupid marked the rotor a bit. so now with the almost new oem rotors and 1 i need to machine a tad im going to change those back pads out for oem.

  16. #15
    Sr Member Reddie1337's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Oakville, Cambridge
    Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Posts
    2,994
    Thanks
    572
    Thanked 440 Times in 323 Posts
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rear end noise when going over bumps

    Quote Originally Posted by Booter22 View Post
    yep thats pretty close. ill try and make a video tomorrow. its been on the hoist at work all day.. also found one of the aftermarket pads was doing something stupid marked the rotor a bit. so now with the almost new oem rotors and 1 i need to machine a tad im going to change those back pads out for oem.
    Yeah. Wagner pads screwed up the rotors on my fiancées 3








    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  17. #16
    Sr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    3,411
    Thanks
    17
    Thanked 83 Times in 59 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rear end noise when going over bumps

    Quote Originally Posted by Booter22 View Post
    so how would i check to see if i need those bushings? will i see if they have worn?
    the sway bar bushings will look "ballooned"
    tugging on the end links and you will feel they are loose... the ball joints are worn out

    refer to US TSB # 02-008/09 or Canada TSB # 02-09-07 or worldwide TSB # R035/09 for details

    For rear trailing link bushings, refer to US TSB # 02-009/09 or Canada TSB # 02-09-08 or worldwide TSB # E044/09 for parts and replacement procedure

  18. #17
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    358
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 34 Times in 33 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rear end noise when going over bumps

    Niiice! Wagner ThermoRiot pads (*shudder*). I had a really annoying metallic rattle coming from the rear of my car over bumps. I isolated it to worn out caliper retaining springs by hammering my fist on top of the caliper assembly. Once the new springs were in, all gone.


    Quote Originally Posted by Reddie1337 View Post
    Yeah. Wagner pads screwed up the rotors on my fiancées 3




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  19. #18
    Sr Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,017
    Thanks
    105
    Thanked 336 Times in 242 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rear end noise when going over bumps

    @Reddie1337

    yea one rotor was rough. managed to machine it out. but i need to get the caliper rubber pieces they are starting to swell. so far the fronts look ok. but ill see how it drives. maybe change the fronts out for oem. apparently the pads were already almost worn down like from 9 to 4-5 so i dunno. anyway hopefully be able to take it home tonight see how it drives.

  20. #19
    Noob
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rear end noise when going over bumps

    Quote Originally Posted by Booter22 View Post
    so i had this weird metal rattle type noise when going over bumps. we checked the whole suspension at my work. everything was super tight, gave the fuel tank a tap and made the noise it sounds like something on top of the tank let go. maybe a bracket or something. the car drives 100% ok. one of my techs said his brother had an issue similar something about a prefilter bracket letting go on top of the tank. anyone else have a similar issue ever or heard of this. first time ive heard about this being an issue.
    Sorry to bump a super old thread but I'm having this problem right now. The video above, that tapping, is exactly what I'm hearing going over bumps or any imperfection on the road. Two shops have been unable to identify the problem. What was the resolution to your issue?? I'm taking it in again Monday and would like to be armed with some info and possible fixes. Thanks!!

  21. #20
    Noob
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rear end noise when going over bumps

    Quote Originally Posted by Reddie1337 View Post
    If tapatalk didn't get rid of Video uploading (Vimeo) then I would upload a video of the noise in the tank.
    https://vimeo.com/206235234?ref=em-v-share

    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I see you're still active here. Can you tell me what fixed this rattling noise?? I'm going through the exact same thing right now

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQln6bm-LA8

    It's so loud and embarrassing. Been trying to find a solution for a couple months off and on. Car drives perfect but this is something I would really like fixed.

    Any info would be awesome. Thanks!

  22. #21
    Noob
    Join Date
    Jan 2020
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rear end noise when going over bumps

    Turns out the worthless shop I got my brakes done at decided to install one backwards. Problem solved. The rattling noise is still there near the gas tank but that's another story. The ride is finally quiet

  23. #22
    Noob
    Join Date
    Nov 2020
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rear end noise when going over bumps

    I'm having a similar issue with my 2010 3. Intermittent rear clunking noise. The shop took a look and didn't find anything obviously wrong with the front or rear suspension. I'm gonna take it in again tomorrow for another look.

  24. #23
    Jr Member G ~ MINI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    782
    Thanks
    85
    Thanked 89 Times in 82 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rear end noise when going over bumps

    Quote Originally Posted by Coakley222 View Post
    I'm having a similar issue with my 2010 3. Intermittent rear clunking noise. The shop took a look and didn't find anything obviously wrong with the front or rear suspension. I'm gonna take it in again tomorrow for another look.
    i had that when i upgraded my rear stabilizer ...loose rear endlinks. replaced with whiteline

  25. #24
    Moderator S.F.W.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    North York
    Age
    42
    Posts
    18,163
    Thanks
    959
    Thanked 1,397 Times in 738 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rear end noise when going over bumps

    End links or blown shock are typical causes.

    Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

  26. #25
    Jr Member G ~ MINI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Scarborough
    Posts
    782
    Thanks
    85
    Thanked 89 Times in 82 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Rear end noise when going over bumps

    WOAH
    Time for upgrades
    Best time to do it with Black sales happening every where now


    Quote Originally Posted by alberttjohn8 View Post
    I had a rattling in the rear end. Turns out both my coil springs broke a half coil. It was making noise like no tomorrow. It broke at the bottom and the broken off pieces remained in the control arm

Similar Threads

  1. Squeaking noise from the front end when going over speed bumps
    By houstondallas in forum Problems with the Mazda3
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-09-2011, 12:36 PM
  2. Rattling noise over bumps
    By last_shot in forum Problems with the Mazda3
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-24-2011, 06:15 PM
  3. Noise at back after going on bumps ... Shocks?
    By phoenix_bladen in forum Suspension & Brakes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-09-2011, 08:47 AM
  4. Springy noise when you go on speed bumps?
    By Ogata in forum Suspension & Brakes
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 01-11-2010, 11:21 AM
  5. Interior Noise Over Bumps
    By matt9 in forum Problems with the Mazda3
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-13-2007, 05:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •