Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Transmission Issues? 2012 MS3

first post, is regarding an issue.... sorry guys

So, my name is Derek, I just purchased a 2012 Mazdaspeed 3 in white from Forbes mazda in waterloo, I was loving the car so far other then a few things...

its bone stock for one so lets get that out of the way, it has 75k.

for the first few days of ownership everything been solid until the last few days, the transmission will not go into 2nd smoothly when its cold (first few mins of driving)
    It does not matter what I do, shift slow as possible, pause for a second between shifts.. it grinds into 2nd, its driving me bonkers.

I have a 20+ year old miata with 200k that shifts smooth as butter even during cold runs.

Once the ms3 warms up however its smooth as butter....

should I take this back to the dealer? will they even acknowledge the problem? the car didn't do it for the first few days and suddenly as of today its grinding every single time, regardless of how perfect/slowly I shift it.

any suggestions?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Transmission Issues? 2012 MS3

welcome and its common for the speeds especially when its cold, try changing/flush the trans oil and go from there.
    マーズダビード

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MS3_ For This Useful Post:

trance|ghost (02-11-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 643 Posts
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pretty much normal...hold it gently against the gate until it slips into gear. A fluid change doesn't hurt but won't solve it entirely.

- 2021 Porsche Macan GTS -
    - 2016 Lexus NX200t F Sport -
    - 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 Black Mica - SOLD -

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Pretty much normal...hold it gently against the gate until it slips into gear. A fluid change doesn't hurt but won't solve it entirely.
    I'm going to try the Ford transmission fluid

I try to shift gently and it still grinds

I feel as if it's going to cause much further damage

I'm sort of glad I got the cpo package warranty, I'm covered until 2020 or 150k

I use to own a Wrx and an srt4 so I'm famiallier with the nit pick issues economy pocket rockets can get

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MS3_ View Post
    welcome and its common for the speeds especially when its cold, try changing/flush the trans oil and go from there.
    @MS3_

I think I saw you today turning from weber to king, lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trance|ghost View Post
    I'm going to try the Ford transmission fluid

I try to shift gently and it still grinds

I feel as if it's going to cause much further damage

I'm sort of glad I got the cpo package warranty, I'm covered until 2020 or 150k

I use to own a Wrx and an srt4 so I'm famiallier with the nit pick issues economy pocket rockets can get

I'm running the ford fluid myself and it's not a miracle worker...it's great in warmer climates (summer time it's good up here) but in the winter, it doesn't help a damn thing. You also get a pile more diff noise with it compared to OEM fluid.

FYI - there's a few of us in KW that know these cars inside out and I have a well equipped garage to work on things if you're ever in need as a local.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    I'm running the ford fluid myself and it's not a miracle worker...it's great in warmer climates (summer time it's good up here) but in the winter, it doesn't help a damn thing. You also get a pile more diff noise with it compared to OEM fluid.

FYI - there's a few of us in KW that know these cars inside out and I have a well equipped garage to work on things if you're ever in need as a local.
    That's awesome to hear!

So bad news, changed the transmission fluid to the Ford miracle juice (got it from kitchener Ford for 20 bucks a quart) the good news is it definitely drives nicer, don't know how it is in the cold yet.

Bad news is the old fluid looked awful, came out like water... def wasn't ever changed and holy metal flakes, and even some metal bits here and there, def looks to have been abused by previous owner, shifter knob was all warn down when I test drove car too... hopefully my warranty pays off if transmission goes, it drives nice when warm so who knows!

How do I find out when these garage days are hosted ?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's awesome to hear!

So bad news, changed the transmission fluid to the Ford miracle juice (got it from kitchener Ford for 20 bucks a quart) the good news is it definitely drives nicer, don't know how it is in the cold yet.

Bad news is the old fluid looked awful, came out like water... def wasn't ever changed and holy metal flakes, and even some metal bits here and there, def looks to have been abused by previous owner, shifter knob was all warn down when I test drove car too... hopefully my warranty pays off if transmission goes, it drives nice when warm so who knows!

How do I find out when these garage days are hosted ?
    Metal flakes will likely be gears being grinded. These transmissions are pretty tough though, most issues come from synchro's.

When there's a need...we haven't done much lately. My MS3 is going up for sale this month, so nothing to do on my side anymore. You really should have bought mine instead of the one you got from Forbes, mine is mint.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

first post, is regarding an issue.... sorry guys

So, my name is Derek, I just purchased a 2012 Mazdaspeed 3 in white from Forbes mazda in waterloo, I was loving the car so far other then a few things...

its bone stock for one so lets get that out of the way, it has 75k.

for the first few days of ownership everything been solid until the last few days, the transmission will not go into 2nd smoothly when its cold (first few mins of driving)
    It does not matter what I do, shift slow as possible, pause for a second between shifts.. it grinds into 2nd, its driving me bonkers.

I have a 20+ year old miata with 200k that shifts smooth as butter even during cold runs.

Once the ms3 warms up however its smooth as butter....

should I take this back to the dealer? will they even acknowledge the problem? the car didn't do it for the first few days and suddenly as of today its grinding every single time, regardless of how perfect/slowly I shift it.

any suggestions?
    I have this same problem with first and second. Somewhere down the grapevine someone told me about shifter adjustments? That might be the problem, but I would like someone to clarify if that is the case as well!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteGenpu View Post
    I have this same problem with first and second. Somewhere down the grapevine someone told me about shifter adjustments? That might be the problem, but I would like someone to clarify if that is the case as well!
    You can adjust the shifters engagement left/right (not forward/back into gear) down in the center console of the shift mechanism. It can help but it depends on why 1st/2nd isn't engaging well.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the motorcraft ford transmission fluid corrected my problem

also, being new to the car didn't help.... once you get a feel for the transmission you know how it likes to be shifted when its cold, I take the rpms a tad higher and shift quicker, new fluid... = no more grinds.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@MS3_

I think I saw you today turning from weber to king, lol
    Wait where is that? My car looks different now compare in my dp/signature pic lol

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MS3_ View Post
    Wait where is that? My car looks different now compare in my dp/signature pic lol
    few weeks ago now, I remeber seeing a sticker on the base of the windshield and turning onto king from weber towards mall.. i was across road in lowered gen2 speed 3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

few weeks ago now, I remeber seeing a sticker on the base of the windshield and turning onto king from weber towards mall.. i was across road in lowered gen2 speed 3
    yea that definitely wasnt me lol

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh damn, so I've come to conclusion that quite a few mazdaspeed owners don't acknowledged each other either, literally today drove beside a black one with zero nod/wave... lol

I'm so use to the friendly wave with my miata, had that with my wrx as well....

anyways to stay on topic heres a video of my mazdas transmission whirring... I'm not going to worry about it as I have warranty for a while... and my srt4 made a similar noise for 100k... just wanted to know if anyone else has similar noises... speed is 50k in 4th

https://www.facebook.com/derek.medei...4495337012648/

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another update incase anyone is wondering/bored or what not.. not really finding much help, just looking for reassurance..

at low speeds (3rd or 4th gear) cruising at roughly 50-60km/h I get this distinctive howl/wawawawa sound on the throttle... can anyone else replicate this noise ?

here is a few videos including one of the car in the air, and the sound can actually be sort of heard as well

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh damn, so I've come to conclusion that quite a few mazdaspeed owners don't acknowledged each other either, literally today drove beside a black one with zero nod/wave... lol

I'm so use to the friendly wave with my miata, had that with my wrx as well....

anyways to stay on topic heres a video of my mazdas transmission whirring... I'm not going to worry about it as I have warranty for a while... and my srt4 made a similar noise for 100k... just wanted to know if anyone else has similar noises... speed is 50k in 4th

https://www.facebook.com/derek.medei...4495337012648/
    I can't tell you what the noises are but man your tire has a lot of run out.

Also, speed owners only care about speed owners if they are on TM3, or into cars. I know a few people who own speed 3s but don't modify them or anything. It sounds like you're from the Waterloo area, not too many TM3 members out that way, in the Tri-Cities at all though. I work in Cambridge if you did want to take a look at it on my hoist at some point.

-Reddie

Current: 2012 Mazdaspeed3 Tech CWP
    Mods to Date:
    Custom Halo headlights, DRL delete, Kenwood DNX890HD, Kenwood KFC-3009 x2(12"), Kenwood 1800Watt Amp, LED interior lights, LED switchbacks, LED fogs.
    Previous:2012 Mazda 3 Sky-GS in CWP, 2012 16W Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2010 CWP Mazda 3 GT Hatchback SOLD, 2009 Metropolitan Grey Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2007 Carbon Grey Mica Mazda 3 GS Hatch SOLD

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is true, lots of stock speed 3s rolling around!

I actually went to see a speed owner in cambridge! he has a build gen juan and we went for a drive and told me my car sounded normal.. I'm thinking I'm being paranoid somewhat... I just get extra annoyed when I hear oddball sounds on anything I drive... I use to drive an nsrt4 (much less quality car) but the transmission was fairly quiet!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh welcome to the speed world my friend! As others have said gently hold it into gear she'll go as she warms up to you then you can just slide it right in... However sounds like you need some better lubrication because the stuff she comes with isn't so good, unfortunately that's the case for some woman, err I means cars. Everyone's already given you good advice the Ford tranny fluid is wonderful however it does not have the viscosity rating that Mazda reccomends for the gen 2 speed. BUT lots of people use it without any issues, if you are as I tend too I and others have used redline MTL fluid with Excellent success, best place to get it is on Amazon.

Welcome to the speed world mate

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This may have been be a week before I sold my car lol... I now drive a Fiesta ST around that area when I visit my sites.
    I definitely didn't see you and the only time I ever get a nod or wave is when I see a modified MS3/MS6, most people are just driving them because it's their A to B car.

Ford fluid cold makes lots of cool sounds, I personally would go to the Redline if I had a Gen2 and was winter driving.
    I used Ford fluid in my MS6 but it's only summer driven, it does make cool whirling sounds at low speeds though. But that sound among other noises is pretty normal to me now.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

https://www.youtube.com/shared?ci=ZUyFA-GTkCk

at 1:05 his car sounds exactly like mine.. so i'm going to play it off as normal

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pwdunmore View Post

Ford fluid cold makes lots of cool sounds, I personally would go to the Redline if I had a Gen2 and was winter driving.
    I used Ford fluid in my MS6 but it's only summer driven, it does make cool whirling sounds at low speeds though. But that sound among other noises is pretty normal to me now.
    I can vouch for redline in the gen2 both in the winter and on the track in the summer, it's great all year, someone's on really cold days I gotta ease in the shifter to 2nd still but I know guys with Ford fluid that do the same so meh

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

little update.. I tried to head to reddies shop but since I was late.. for the hell of it I jacked the car onto jackstands.. got my wife to bring the rpms in 4th gear (I MADE SURE CAR WAS SAFE) had 2 jackstands and wood...

used my stethoscope.. the sound is most def coming from the transmission area, especially when I placed it right on the diff area, I'm going to continue driving the car, but going to mention it to forbes mazda when I go in for my oil change.. hopefully they heard it as clear as I did... (you can hear it without the scope to be honest) and say something is faulty....