Thread: Fan Problems

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Fan Problems

Hey guys, got my 07 Mazda 3 and realized the cooling fan doesn't work. I have never heard it turn on, it doesn't turn on when the A/C is on, I have never heard or seen it on. Then only thing that seems weird to me is a green wire dangling behind it, it goes to the bottom of the fan and comes up to this connection here, any idea what this is, or is for? Kind of new to this stuff, thanks in advance.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Fan Problems

During the summer heat, while idling does the heat gauge rise? It is extremely rare that my 07 GT's fan comes on. Your AC has nothing to do with your fan coming on. Usually it makes the engine work harder so in the summer heat the fan comes on at low speeds to cool the engine.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeff7670 View Post
    During the summer heat, while idling does the heat gauge rise? It is extremely rare that my 07 GT's fan comes on. Your AC has nothing to do with your fan coming on. Usually it makes the engine work harder so in the summer heat the fan comes on at low speeds to cool the engine.
    At times it has gone higher than running temp. I've had to stop the car and wait for it to go down.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First put the car in a situation where the fan should come on (hard to do right now), then check the relay. Those things are usually the issue. Another non critical electrical component should use the same relay so you can temporarily switch them to try and diagnose the issue. You may however need to buy a new relay to figure it out.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The fan comes on perfectly in sync with operation of the A/C in hot weather. The A/C condenser is packed against the rad and for your A/C to function properly, you gotta get that heat out of the refrigerant loop. Back to OP, I've had my engine run up to 106 deg C with no issues; do you know exactly what temperature your engine is getting up to? If the fan weren't working then you should have CEL's all over the place. Even in the heat of summer, mine comes on, but not very fast.

There is also a fan control module on the back of the rad that could be your culprit. If you found a shop with a high-end bi-directional scan tool, they might be able to command the fan on via the ECU, you could then measure all along the way with a voltmeter to find where your issue is (if at all).

Quote Originally Posted by jeff7670 View Post
    Last edited by morganc; 02-26-2017 at 05:38 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Problem solved, power wire was corroded off of the fan control module. Time for a new assembly.