Thread: Looking to get into photography need advice on a camera

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Looking to get into photography need advice on a camera

I want to be able to take rolling shots of cars and nature things. i want to have depth perception and long exposure. A camera that can do video and pictures is ideal. I am wondering if i need a full dslr camera or if a bridge camera will be able to do what i want. I am very new to all of this and want some guidance of want to look for.

Also what to look for if i buy a used camera or if that is even a good idea at all.

Ride
    BRZ 2018
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Default Re: Looking to get into photography need advice on a camera

I would suggest to start with an entry level camera (canon rebel series) with a nice lens (suggestion: 50mm with 1.3f aperture)

That will give you nice depth perception.

As for buying used, im quite sceptical with that as you wouldnt know whether the camera's been dropped, or worse the lense is dropped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mazda 3 Sedan 2012
    Mazda 3 Hatch 2015
    Subaru BRZ 2018 - Current

3. The Following User Says Thank You to muchikori For This Useful Post:

BMcC619 (02-27-2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 643 Posts
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Buy a cheaper Nikon or Canon DSLR body with a kit lens to try things out. You can then buy additional lenses, flashes, filters and other accessories to up your game, even the cheapest bodies are quite good these days. Down the road if you get serious about it, you can replace your body with a higher end one and still be able to use all your lenses (relatively, ignoring fx vs dx). If you get one of the bridge cameras the entire thing will be throw away down the road.

- 2021 Porsche Macan GTS -
    - 2016 Lexus NX200t F Sport -
    - 2010 Mazdaspeed 3 Black Mica - SOLD -

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SomeGuy For This Useful Post:

BMcC619 (02-27-2017)

Ride
    E92 335i
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,430 Posts
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Buy a cheaper Nikon or Canon DSLR body with a kit lens to try things out. You can then buy additional lenses, flashes, filters and other accessories to up your game, even the cheapest bodies are quite good these days. Down the road if you get serious about it, you can replace your body with a higher end one and still be able to use all your lenses (relatively, ignoring fx vs dx). If you get one of the bridge cameras the entire thing will be throw away down the road.
    +1 to all this

Basic entry-level DSLR's are very affordable these days, even more so used. Once you get it, it's just a matter of using it and teaching yourself the basics and how it works. Tons of online resources for learning the basics too. The camera, even with a basic/kit lens, will allow you to do all you're wanting to do, and more. If you end up not liking it, it wouldn't be that large of an investment for you to sell off later on. If you like it, endless opportunities to upgrade down the road.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it is important for you to tell us what your budget is. This will help in getting the best combination of items.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Throw a few cameras in your hand and see which interface you like best.

It really is all just completely subjective, generally the lens means more than the body (there's limits to that though), but talent beats out technology everytime. My (biased) recommendation is pentax, as they offer features at a lower pricepoint than the bigger guys. That being said, lens availability/variety isn't anywhere near Nikon/Canon.
    -2011 Mazda 2 GS
    -1988 Mazda RX7 Turbo 2

9. The Following User Says Thank You to genericmoniker For This Useful Post:

BMcC619 (02-27-2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by XTOTHEL View Post
    I think it is important for you to tell us what your budget is. This will help in getting the best combination of items.

I am willing to spend around $500 - $600 because that is how much an entry dslr camera is

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input everyone. I am leaning towards getting a new camera kit so i can have warranty and the instruction booklet that would for sure come with it.

Just need to sell my xxrs and possibly my coils

Ride
    E92 335i
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,231 Times in 1,430 Posts
    Mentioned
    1008 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BMcC619 View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone. I am leaning towards getting a new camera kit so i can have warranty and the instruction booklet that would for sure come with it.

Just need to sell my xxrs and possibly my coils
    The warranty aspect is understandable, but keep in mind if you're doing it for the instruction booklet...that can very easily be acquired online for free.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FD22 For This Useful Post:

BMcC619 (02-27-2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FD22 View Post
    The warranty aspect is understandable, but keep in mind if you're doing it for the instruction booklet...that can very easily be acquired online for free.
    Yea thats true or even youtube would have guides so the warranty and piece of mind that i have everything and as stated before that it hasn't been mishandled or dropped in anyway would be my bigger reasons of buying new

Ride
    BRZ 2018
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BMcC619 View Post
    I am willing to spend around $500 - $600 because that is how much an entry dslr camera is
    I got a brand new kit and spent more than $1000 for an entry level cam, 2 lenses (stock and 75-200mm) and a bag

I also got a package from Best Buy that already includes a manfrotto tripod, wireless remote, and a 50mm fixed

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 700 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Just a thought for lenses after you buy a DSLR.

For my Pentax: I bought an adapter ring (from thread mount to bayonet) which drops right into the camera body so that I can use old SLR lenses that I already had.

Everyone and their friend has an old film cameras which are free most of the time. Manuel input only, but it's a good idea if you're on a budget and a family member wants to get rid of film camera stuff
    Last edited by Kiewan; 02-28-2017 at 09:06 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*2 types of DSLR camera's: FX (Full Frame) and DX (Crop Sensor). DX is what everyone is recommending.

The Nikon D7100 + 18-200mm f3.5-5.6G (Covers wide range to telephoto lens and you only have to carry 1 lens)+ 50mm + 105 DC F2 is what I used in school. Got me through my first 2 semesters before I upgraded to a Full Frame camera. With these lenses, you can achieve what it is you want to do. Keep in mind, when using a DX camera, shooting anything in low light conditions will be a problem, especially if the object or yourself is moving. DX camera's have a smaller light sensor so shooting at a higher ISO is needed but causes the photo to appear grainy. Youtube will be your best friend, patience is key and practicing often will help you separate yourself from the average shooter. When filming, the same principals apply as if you were shooting stills (Aperture, shutter speed, ISO etc...). To reiterate what others members have said already, Its never the kit that defines shooters, but rather their skill. *Camera body's lose value over time, but not lenses.

When it comes to buying used, I would recommend it if you're on a budget. In total, my gear is about $8000. If had bought brand new, it would have cost me almost double that. All my kit was bought used, but I knew what kind of defects to look for. You can find on kijiji ppl selling cameras with multiple lenses which would be a good start. I bought only from professional photographers as I found them to be 100% honest about how they treated their kit and they want to help other's succeed. Find camera's and/or lenses that come with original receipt, box (not a big deal) and warranty still active for another year (very important!!). If there is a problem with the item, you're not stuck with broken gear.

And then there's the which brand is better, Nikon of Cannon? The answer, niether! Both are very strong for entry level shooters.
    Last edited by Templar Knight; 03-01-2017 at 12:59 AM.