Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How much freeplay is normal in clutch pedal? 1.6 BK

Hi guys,

I have European version of mazda 3, sedan, 1.6 gasoline engine, and, it's giving me a bit of a problem :/
    It all started when i noticed the clutch line was going rusty, the thickness was measured, it was on it's way out, so it was replaced with a used one (which i bought myself).
    A person that replaced it in the shop, bled it by myself, i guess he just left the pedal down, until gravity did it's thing, then checked a few times.

Shortly after this, i started having problems going into 1st gear, but only at full stop, while moving, smooth like butter. Change was done 1.5 yr ago.
    Few months ago, before the cold started, replaced the transmission oil in hope of fixing it, no luck, it was even worse, and the nice fancy stuff from Castrol.
    Flushed and replaced in a shop, again, and it's kinda ok now.
    Spoke to a shop owner, he said all the speed synchro's are dead, and whole transmission, and maybe clutch should be replaced (while moving can select gears no problem, and never grind).

Anyway, to skip to the point, i noticed that my clutch pedal has quite a bit of free play, maybe even 2", before it starts operating the slave cylinder. I do remember it being quite less when i bought the car 3 yrs ago. Would someone be so kind to check their slave cylinder position, maybe post a picture of it, and let me know how much is their pedal freeplay, so i can compare?
    Would it be possible that i somehow have air in my master cylinder, so it's not actuating enough, and clutch is slightly dragging? (no place where i can put the car up and try for now).

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How much freeplay is normal in clutch pedal? 1.6 BK

Sounds like you need to bleed your clutch. If your tranny shifts no problem, then the internals are fine. Clutch pedal play spec is 15mm.