Thread: 2012 Mazda 3 Squeak noise

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2012 Mazda 3 Squeak noise

I recently bought a 2012 Mazda 3 2.5 GT hatchback with manual transmission with 140,000 KM on it(amazing car! my first Mazda). I notice when it’s really cold outside when I start the car I hear a squeak noise for a second and it goes away. Then when I start driving at low speeds in 1st and 2nd gear I hear the noise again. And at higher speeds and in the highway it seems that it disappears. Any idea what it could be?

Any help is appreciated

Thank you

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2012 Mazda 3 Squeak noise

Quote Originally Posted by Massari View Post
    I recently bought a 2012 Mazda 3 2.5 GT hatchback with manual transmission with 140,000 KM on it(amazing car! my first Mazda). I notice when it’s really cold outside when I start the car I hear a squeak noise for a second and it goes away. Then when I start driving at low speeds in 1st and 2nd gear I hear the noise again. And at higher speeds and in the highway it seems that it disappears. Any idea what it could be?

Any help is appreciated

Thank you
    Hey, I have the same car but a 2010, got replaced engine mount twice for that noise

Noob
    Ride
    2010 Mazda3 Sport
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Massari View Post

Any help is appreciated

Thank you
    Hey, congratz on buying the car, as far as the squeak goes it only on the start up? My car (similar one but auto and 2010) squeals on the cold starts until I reach the stop sign about 250m from my house. Say by the time you reach the first stop sign/traffic light after pulling it out is the squeak gone? If this sounds similar to yours, I have changed all brake lines, pads, discs, but I still have this squeak on cold starts. I'm not a licensed mechanic but I did speak to a few on this issue... my finds:

Possible things
    - Not properly lubricated brake pads
    - Bur caught in the disc brake
    - Bad calipers
    - Quality of the parts I used could be a possibility, didn't buy anything fancy, just average if that helps. Then again didn't need brembo's on this car

There is a well-known youtuber (not sure if I can say names on here) that has made a 10~15min video on brake issues, more than 1million views and most of his content seems legit. If you have time, maybe give it a look? If you find the problem, let me know

Cheers,

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mazda3Life For This Useful Post:

Massari (03-06-2017)

Noob
    Ride
    2010 Mazda3 Sport
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ps3alltheway View Post
    Hey, I have the same car but a 2010, got replaced engine mount twice for that noise
    Did this solve the squeak? I was writing my post as you posted

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thank you all very much for the reply. I doubt it is the pad as the rear ones were changed when the car was brought to mechanic for safety. The squick noise is not only when I am approaching stop sign it's on slow cruising. like 10 km cruising. can't pin point what the problem is. But the car is so clean and is in phenomenal shape that I find it hard to believe what this noise may be.!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like I said check out the engine mounts, I had that 2 mounts replaced under warranty, the first I had to go to the dealer 3 times before they could hear the noise, It would do it until I get there than it stopped doing it when I was riding with a mechanic. It still does it from time to time but I am no longer on warranty (205 000K) each time I had a mount replace the noises stopped occuring for a few years.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Ps3alltheway For This Useful Post:

Massari (03-07-2017)

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The infamous squeak from the transmission mount also comes about when taking a highway off ramp (hard and fast right hand turn). Also, check if this noise occurs when your air controls are set to have front glass defroster on (I make that assumption since you said starting in the cold). The A/c belts on these cars squeak due to the fact that there's no tensioners on them, and throttle applications/ starting can exacerbate this noise. It's like a bird chirp.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to morganc For This Useful Post:

Massari (03-07-2017)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ps3alltheway View Post
    Like I said check out the engine mounts, I had that 2 mounts replaced under warranty, the first I had to go to the dealer 3 times before they could hear the noise, It would do it until I get there than it stopped doing it when I was riding with a mechanic. It still does it from time to time but I am no longer on warranty (205 000K) each time I had a mount replace the noises stopped occuring for a few years.
    Thank you very much. I am hoping that's the issue as it seems like a common problem.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you sir. At first I thought it my suspension from the rear passenger side but the more i paid attention it came from front front!