Thread: Apple CarPlay and Android Auto coming to existing Mazda Connect systems

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Apple CarPlay and Android Auto coming to existing Mazda Connect systems

This was mentioned during the CX-5 announcement today.

https://www.cars.com/articles/mazda-...1420694439589/

""Mazda has been a CarPlay and Android Auto partner since 2014, so it is no secret that we are developing both systems to interface with our Mazda Connect infotainment system. Both software systems should be retroactively upgradable onto all Mazda Connect systems with a potentially minimal hardware addition needed. Mazda does not yet have an official timeline for when these should be available or at what cost, however."

2. The Following User Says Thank You to hoodlum For This Useful Post:

Mazdazard (03-13-2017)

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Apple CarPlay and Android Auto coming to existing Mazda Connect systems

While I will be absolutely trilled if this actually happens, I'll believe it when I see it.

After having android auto in the dash of the last car I do miss it if I'm honest.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Apple CarPlay and Android Auto coming to existing Mazda Connect systems

I doubt this will trickle down to my '14 Mazda3 GS. The only mention of "upgradeability" is the new 2017 CX-5, which doesn't come with CarPlay or Android Auto yet, but will be upgraded in the future.

Hope to be wrong...

Ride
    BRZ 2018
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Would be really great to have the CarPlay added to the infotainment. I've used it on my previous car that has the Pioneer AppRadio 4 installed and felt empty after switching to my current car (Mazda 3 2015). I pretty much wasted money getting the NAV card for my car as it is pure crap (sorry to those who loves their NAV on their 2014+).
    Mazda 3 Sedan 2012
    Mazda 3 Hatch 2015
    Subaru BRZ 2018 - Current

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gta_driver View Post
    I doubt this will trickle down to my '14 Mazda3 GS. The only mention of "upgradeability" is the new 2017 CX-5, which doesn't come with CarPlay or Android Auto yet, but will be upgraded in the future.

Hope to be wrong...
    The announcement* was at the launch of the new 2017 cx-5. It does state it "should be retroactively upgradeable to all mazda connect systems"(so everything since 2014)... It does mention it, but the question is, will they fulfill their promise? Definitely would be a good addition.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Ride
    RAM 1500 - 2017
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've tried android auto on my phone... It's not great. Is the built-in version different?

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've never tried it on the phone, but built into the car puts it on the big screen in your dash and puts your phone, and the other distractions associated with it, back in the glove box.

It was great for the purposes of having google maps on the car's dash, easy voice control for maps and contacts. The limitation for the media player (number of menu buttons you can pushed before getting locked out) was kind of ridiculous but it can still be worked with. It was also easy (on my former HU at least) to swap between AA and the HU operating system if I didn't want to use AA at the time.

It was also nice to hit the mic button on the screen and ask what the weather was like, what the score in the jays game was, where gas is, have your calendar appointments on the screen at start up and just click on it to get it put into maps. These are all things I miss on my regular 1 hr (+) commutes.

Currently missing any voice control integration in the car at all at the moment in my '17 while the phone is connected to BT. I mean I can't even do those same things in the built in android auto app because I believe the car somehow blocks out the mic in the phone when it's connected. Wasn't a deal breaker but it isn't ideal either. Currently making it work with a phone mount and another car dashboard app that I've found works for me.

I bought the car hoping AA would eventually get added to it as it obviously capable of running it, but never really assumed it actually would.

Ride
    RAM 1500 - 2017
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm I see... currently I just have one of those phone holders and run AA on that, or Google Maps "Driving Mode". My truck doesn't have a very modern head unit, so I can't really do anything unless I upgrade it. I know there are some aftermarket ones coming out with android auto, now, but they seem really expensive. I think it was $500 for the Sony one? Might have to wait a bit.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It is happening now. I wonder how much the Retrofit kit will cost to current owners.

https://www.guideautoweb.com/en/arti...azda-vehicles/

During the press conference, Mazda also announced an important addition to the Mazda Connect infotainment system. Starting with the 2019 Mazda CX-9 that will go on sale this summer, all 2019 model-year vehicles equipped with Mazda Connect will include Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration. Which Mazda owners have been asking for years.

Starting this fall, those current owners, if their car or SUV is equipped with the Mazda Connect system, will be able to purchase a retrofit kit as a Mazda Genuine Accessory. That includes the 2014 Mazda3 right up to the 2018 Mazda6, which will go on sale this spring.

Professor
    Ride
    1992 FD3S
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by m_bisson View Post
    I've tried android auto on my phone... It's not great. Is the built-in version different?
    AA on a headunit is much better than on the phone. In November i put in a AA headunit on my speed3 and it's fantastic.

-Geoff