Thread: Oil Filter Choice for 2.5L ?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Oil Filter Choice for 2.5L ?

What is the preferred Oil Filter on the 2.5L you guys use ? I've tried K&N, Mobil 1, OEM Mazda and cannot tell any difference ! Any input is much appreciated ... Zoom Zoom !!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Oil Filter Choice for 2.5L ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mazda Lew View Post
    What is the preferred Oil Filter on the 2.5L you guys use ? I've tried K&N, Mobil 1, OEM Mazda and cannot tell any difference ! Any input is much appreciated ... Zoom Zoom !!
    Back when I had the 2.5L, I found every aftermarket oil filter (including K&N and Mobil 1) would make my car sound like a Diesel engine when I first started driving on mornings below freezing.. Not sure if their design was 100% correct for the 2.5L engine or what it was, maybe oil flow wasn't what it should have been, who knows... I ended up switching to the OEM filter and never heard that noise again, engine also sounded quieter and ran smoother with the OEM filter (not to mention it's cheaper)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use OEM only
    almost all aftermarket filters do NOT have the correct pressure ratings and cause lubrication issues with these engines... these aftermarket filters are just ones that the aftermarket company found "fits" from their existing catalogue without regard as to the correct specs... plus, good aftermarket filters cost the same or more than the OEM filter only, so why even bother?
    also, if your engine becomes damaged because you used an aftermarket oil filter, you might be responsible for it and warranty won't cover the repairs
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    Use OEM only
    almost all aftermarket filters do NOT have the correct pressure ratings and cause lubrication issues with these engines... these aftermarket filters are just ones that the aftermarket company found "fits" from their existing catalogue without regard as to the correct specs... plus, good aftermarket filters cost the same or more than the OEM filter only, so why even bother?
    also, if your engine becomes damaged because you used an aftermarket oil filter, you might be responsible for it and warranty won't cover the repairs
    OK ??? ... So your saying using a Mobil 1 OR K&N Oil Filter will cause engine damage ???? I understand you like OEM oil filters designed by the manufactures engineers, I get that !! I understand the warranty issue to a certain point ? Using aftermarket oil filters will void your warranty ?? Really ?? Accordingly, I have a hard time believing your statement about lubrication issues without actual data to back that up ? There's actually more evidence on this very forum on aftermarket oil filters to totally contradict that lubrication statement ! Their are Mazda owners in here that have been using Mobil 1 & K&N oil filters from new with XXX,000 KM's without any issues ! Know what I mean ? I guess there are "die-hards" on both ends of a this very controversial subject Eh ?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OEM.

You wont be needing added protection even if buying an aftermarket one provides it, which it doesnt.
    "There is no path to happiness: Happiness is the path " ~Buddha

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man: true nobility is being superior to your former self" -Ernest Hemingway

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK ??? ... So your saying using a Mobil 1 OR K&N Oil Filter will cause engine damage ???? I understand you like OEM oil filters designed by the manufactures engineers, I get that !! I understand the warranty issue to a certain point ? Using aftermarket oil filters will void your warranty ?? Really ?? Accordingly, I have a hard time believing your statement about lubrication issues without actual data to back that up ? There's actually more evidence on this very forum on aftermarket oil filters to totally contradict that lubrication statement ! Their are Mazda owners in here that have been using Mobil 1 & K&N oil filters from new with XXX,000 KM's without any issues ! Know what I mean ? I guess there are "die-hards" on both ends of a this very controversial subject Eh ?
    Then don't post a question if you are expecting to hear what you want to hear. Demanding proof from a veteran member providing sound advice is rude and is a waste of their time.
    There's plenty of information about this and is common knowledge on many Mazda forums about this very topic... you could have found it yourself instead of demanding it on a silver platter

There are plenty of NON-Skyactiv Mazda owners using whatever crap orange can of death filter without issues, only because they have NON-Skyactiv engines which are conventional design and lower demands on lubrication... that is where you are hearing from
    I already explained to you why most aftermarket filters fail to meet the pressure specs Mazda has specified for the SkyActiv engine. What part of that do you not understand?

since you want "data", here it is:
    https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/atta...0&d=1453534001
    https://forum.miata.net/vb/showpost....70&postcount=9

don't expect me to waste more of my time with you

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheMAN For This Useful Post:

Johns 08 3 GT (03-17-2017),mazdaman007 (03-17-2017),soccerboy1491 (03-17-2017)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    Then don't post a question if you are expecting to hear what you want to hear. Demanding proof from a veteran member providing sound advice is rude and is a waste of their time.
    There's plenty of information about this and is common knowledge on many Mazda forums about this very topic... you could have found it yourself instead of demanding it on a silver platter

There are plenty of NON-Skyactiv Mazda owners using whatever crap orange can of death filter without issues, only because they have NON-Skyactiv engines which are conventional design and lower demands on lubrication... that is where you are hearing from
    I already explained to you why most aftermarket filters fail to meet the pressure specs Mazda has specified for the SkyActiv engine. What part of that do you not understand?

since you want "data", here it is:
    https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/atta...0&d=1453534001
    https://forum.miata.net/vb/showpost....70&postcount=9

don't expect me to waste more of my time with you
    ..... I was just asking for simple proof to your allegations of OEM being superior to Mobil 1 & K&N ? If these aftermarket filters are causing damage (Lubrication Issues) as you stated...Don't you think consumers should be concerned ? How is that wasting your time ? IMHO: That's a pretty severe statement to be typing into a Forum !! What should the thousands of consumers do that are running Mobil 1 & K&N presently "The-Man" ? Seriously, should these consumers go out and change their oil filters immediately to OEM ? How is asking for data on this and questioning that statement FAR FETCHED ?? I'm in here to discuss issues NOT argue them !!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

..... I was just asking for simple proof to your allegations of OEM being superior to Mobil 1 & K&N ? If these aftermarket filters are causing damage (Lubrication Issues) as you stated...Don't you think consumers should be concerned ? How is that wasting your time ? IMHO: That's a pretty severe statement to be typing into a Forum !! What should the thousands of consumers do that are running Mobil 1 & K&N presently "The-Man" ? Seriously, should these consumers go out and change their oil filters immediately to OEM ? How is asking for data on this and questioning that statement FAR FETCHED ?? I'm in here to discuss issues NOT argue them !!
    @Mazda Lew let's all play nice. I deleted your original post as it was very attacking in nature. The post by The-Man was aggresive as well. However, he is just trying to provide some resources.
    He is saying you can use any oil filter you choose. However, there are significant differences between the non sky OEM filters for Sky Activ engines. If the non OEM filter does not update their design to accommodate you could have issues.

Ultimately, it is your decision.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

10. The Following User Says Thank You to S.F.W. For This Useful Post:

soccerboy1491 (03-18-2017)

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used "Defence" (Fram economy line) filters on my 2.0 Sky for 80k, no problem to the engine at all. Still runs like a top. OP has a 2010 2.5, not a Sky anyways, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Current: 2012 Mazdaspeed3 Tech CWP
    Mods to Date:
    Custom Halo headlights, DRL delete, Kenwood DNX890HD, Kenwood KFC-3009 x2(12"), Kenwood 1800Watt Amp, LED interior lights, LED switchbacks, LED fogs.
    Previous:2012 Mazda 3 Sky-GS in CWP, 2012 16W Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2010 CWP Mazda 3 GT Hatchback SOLD, 2009 Metropolitan Grey Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2007 Carbon Grey Mica Mazda 3 GS Hatch SOLD

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Reddie1337 View Post
    I used "Defence" (Fram economy line) filters on my 2.0 Sky for 80k, no problem to the engine at all. Still runs like a top. OP has a 2010 2.5, not a Sky anyways, so I guess it doesn't really matter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I'm going to try a Mazda OEM filter on my Mazda 6 / 2.5L on the next oil change and listen for any differences in the valve-train on start-up ? I have been loyally using Mobil 1 Oil / Oil Filter in my 2010 M6 / 2.5L for many KM's now BUT after reading Milan96 post, I paid attention to start-up noise level this last little while and can conclude my engine does seem louder in the valve-train area at/on start-up when compared to my son's 2010 M3 GT / 2.5L !! . I just recently purchased the M3 GT for him at 93,000KMs, hence my recent posts, and the vehicle was dealer serviced from new with OEM filter and conventional (bulk) oil and the valve-train in this M3 does seems quieter then my M6 on start up !! I now have 2 cars with the same engine, so I will be doing a little experimenting from here on in !!