Thread: 2005 Mazda 3 PCV replacement

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2005 Mazda 3 PCV replacement

Just curious when you all had yours replaced?

I have about 105K and the dealer (service advisor) is rather adamant that I should get it replaced, while the technician I spoke to wasn't so enthusiastic. Unfortunately, for obvious reasons the tech wasn't able to say much more. It's not a cheap job. Over $300 at the dealer.
    Made in BC.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2005 Mazda 3 PCV replacement

Do you notice anything wrong with the car? Is it driving smoothly? Not burning oil?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow I can't believe he is selling this as preventative maintenance. At 200k mine has never been replaced. If it goes replace it then.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What are indicators that the PCV has gone bad?
    Regards
    Shawn

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derek195 View Post
    Do you notice anything wrong with the car? Is it driving smoothly? Not burning oil?
    TBH, after about a year or so of ownership (2006) I noticed an occasional slight rough idle. The dealer never was able to find the cause. However, within the last year or two, it's quite pronounced during summer driving at a red light with the A/C on.

For the last little while though, my Mazda has had a stealth code of P0661. It shows up in an OBD reader but the light never shows up. When I told the Mazda tech about this, he was nice enough to hook up his work laptop to it and it also showed the code, but the CEL never showed up. He says it has to do with the vacuum solenoid.

Additionally, for the last few years, I have been smelling a subtle gasoline like smell from the front driver's area. It happens when the car has been driving typically over 30 minutes only when stopped. I managed to somewhat trace the smell to an area near the driver's wheel well.

With the PCV in our Mazda, when it goes bad there would be engine oil leaks but you might not see the leaks. The service advisor says replacing the PCV is preventative.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sounds it will make a difference on replacing it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    TBH, after about a year or so of ownership (2006) I noticed an occasional slight rough idle. The dealer never was able to find the cause. However, within the last year or two, it's quite pronounced during summer driving at a red light with the A/C on.

For the last little while though, my Mazda has had a stealth code of P0661. It shows up in an OBD reader but the light never shows up. When I told the Mazda tech about this, he was nice enough to hook up his work laptop to it and it also showed the code, but the CEL never showed up. He says it has to do with the vacuum solenoid.

Additionally, for the last few years, I have been smelling a subtle gasoline like smell from the front driver's area. It happens when the car has been driving typically over 30 minutes only when stopped. I managed to somewhat trace the smell to an area near the driver's wheel well.

With the PCV in our Mazda, when it goes bad there would be engine oil leaks but you might not see the leaks. The service advisor says replacing the PCV is preventative.
    If you're comfortable with working on your own car, check the throttle body and if it's dirty with soot, clean it. I did it to mine that had a rough idle, cleared it up like new.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Derek195 View Post
    If you're comfortable with working on your own car, check the throttle body and if it's dirty with soot, clean it. I did it to mine that had a rough idle, cleared it up like new.
    I wish I was competent enough to check or clean the throttle body. However, I had it done 2x at the dealership. The last time they used a couple of tall compressor like cans that looked similar to those DYI A/C recharging kits. There wasn't much soot and crap though that came out of the exhaust. Typically, they told me there should be a lot of smoke during the "process." The more clogged up your intake is, the more smoke. Of course, doing it manually is always best and it's also less detrimental to the environment. After the cleaning, the rough idle issue did not change at all.

Quote Originally Posted by groovin View Post
    Sounds it will make a difference on replacing it.
    From what I understand, I don't think replacing the PCV will remedy any of my pre-existing issues. Perhaps replacing the vacuum solenoid might though. If not mistaken, to replace the solenoid they have to get access to the intake manifold. Perhaps my intake is clogged or the flaps don't open/close properly? Replacing the intake manifold would be also quite labour intensive and the manifold would be pricy too.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@Google - I don't believe its got anything to do with the PCV valve. They don't screw up very often. I've got 300k on mine with no clogging or loss of oil. A vehicle with 100k is not going to have a very carboned up fuel system either, so cleaning it is useless as you witnessed. Again 300k and never had the fuel system cleaned by any means, I just use the odd fuel cleaner in the tank periodically. The code you are getting means that your SSV is getting a low voltage, which mean its either a faulty SSV itself or your harness is compromised. Both would mean some serious labour to get at it as I believe its behind the intake manifold and some quality diagnostics.

Here's a good read; https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...lerie-johnston
    Last edited by Flagrum_3; 03-29-2017 at 09:37 AM.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Flagrum_3 for the info and validating my thinking. The dealer claims they can replace the SSV for around $300+.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    Thanks Flagrum_3 for the info and validating my thinking. The dealer claims they can replace the SSV for around $300+.
    @Google -Well "IF" they will need to remove the intake to repair the SSV, and it should be mentioned in the quote, get them to replace the PCV aswell while they're there. The PCV itself is of minimal cost.

..just a thought.

_3