Thread: 2006 owners, what is your RPM threshold for shifting from 1st to 2nd (manual trans)?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question 2006 owners, what is your RPM threshold for shifting from 1st to 2nd (manual trans)?

I have a 2006 and maybe I've just been used to diesels for so long, but it seems that I have to rev fairly high (engage clutch at ~3.2k rpm minimum) in order for the shift from 1st to second to be smooth. It's strange because I thought I was just out of practice clutching but the rough shifting only seems to happen from 1st to 2nd or 2nd to 3rd. I really don't get it since the clutch doesn't even have 100k on it according to previous owner. Unless they were just sh*t at driving stick...

Any ideas?

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2006 owners, what is your RPM threshold for shifting from 1st to 2nd (manual tran

3.2k RPM is nothing for a gas engine. I honestly don't pay attention to when I shift but I can get a "clunky" shift if I pull the gear out to early before pressing the clutch. Also, different manufacturers use different methods for the clutches. The higher end cars use a clutch delay valve. Makes driving manuals very easy. But can be a downfall to "spirited" driving.
    1991 Nissan Pathfinder - trade in, 2005 Mazda 3 GX ty grey - Write off, 2010 Mazda 3 GT E sedan CWP- trade in, 2010 Speed 3 w/tech CWP - Up for sale (soon), 2007 Mazda 3 GS silver- motor swapped in to 2009 MS3 CWP that had blown engine, 2002 BMW 330ci silver- new winter ride, 2005 BMW M3- new toy

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2006 owners, what is your RPM threshold for shifting from 1st to 2nd (manual tran

Quote Originally Posted by McGuyver_3 View Post
    3.2k RPM is nothing for a gas engine. I honestly don't pay attention to when I shift but I can get a "clunky" shift if I pull the gear out to early before pressing the clutch. Also, different manufacturers use different methods for the clutches. The higher end cars use a clutch delay valve. Makes driving manuals very easy. But can be a downfall to "spirited" driving.
    Thanks for your reply. I do understand 3.2k isn't much but I can't explain it, it just "feels" slightly too high to me for some reason. I'm used to just "knowing" the right time to shift, based on experience given that I've been driving standard since I first learned to drive farm tractors at around 10 years old. The right time for me to shift (usually) would seem to be at around 2.8k or 2.9k rpm.

I dunno really, does the '06 have a clutch delay valve? I'd hate to blame it on that when in all likelihood I'm just extremely rusty driving manual...

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by LeonIRL View Post
    Thanks for your reply. I do understand 3.2k isn't much but I can't explain it, it just "feels" slightly too high to me for some reason. I'm used to just "knowing" the right time to shift, based on experience given that I've been driving standard since I first learned to drive farm tractors at around 10 years old. The right time for me to shift (usually) would seem to be at around 2.8k or 2.9k rpm.

I dunno really, does the '06 have a clutch delay valve? I'd hate to blame it on that when in all likelihood I'm just extremely rusty driving manual...
    I am referring to higher end cars having these valves. Such as BMW's and Porsches and so on. There is much information about people removing these valves intentionally. These valves make it easier for smoother shifts. On the mazda it is a very basic system to my knowledge. If it makes you feel any better, I have been driving stick since I was 16 and still have rough/clunky shifts from time to time. I also work at a dealer and every car is different. No clutch is alike. Some are super easy to get used to in a short test drive and some not so much

5. The Following User Says Thank You to McGuyver_3 For This Useful Post:

LeonIRL (03-28-2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@LeonIRL -In my experience 3k or anywhere around 3k is normal for these cars when shifting into 2nd gear. It will depend on several factors of course, but generally 2.8 - 3.4rpm is pretty typical to achieve a smooth shift.

Nothing is wrong with you or the car.

_3

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Flagrum_3 For This Useful Post:

LeonIRL (03-29-2017)

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The MTs could have better synchros in them, but they're not the best. Everyone has to take it easy from 1-2 on these trannys. When was the last time a fluid change was done?