Thread: Goodbye Shell V power. I thought we could've had something special.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Goodbye Shell V power. I thought we could've had something special.

Decided to tune for 91 as it's just easier to come by. I knew shell's 91 was the best to go with as they still claim there's no ethanol in it. I was running since I got my MS6. Did one long trip and was very surprised, like very surprised I was able to match my Mazda 3's fuel economy on a long highway trip. This car weighs around 500lbs more and have the drag of the awd system.
    Anyway, shell was good to me. Ran well on my 91 tune (just a tweaked OTS map). I wanted to clean up my afr's as I saw they weren't as steady as I'd like. So I decided to just do a maf cal and check to see what my ltft was doing. They were out very slightly. So I made the corrections. Then I went to go do my WOT checks to check OL operation and adjust for OL. I had gotten gas the day before doing some logs, at shell.
    Knock all over. Every one of my logs I did. Knock a low rpm. Then tons at around 5k. Was registering over 5. Ugh! (Wasn't a 'lean' condition to provoke it)
    So after seeing those I went in and started reducing timing in those areas. Thought that might help at least enough to get a decent log. But even just gently driving around I'm getting knock up to about 3.
    So today I decided to go to petro and get some 94. I've used 94 once or twice in past but saw that fuel consumption went up. I had to see if this would remove/reduce my knock. So as I'm leaving gas station I'm just watching KR on my AP going about 15km/h I hit over 1KR. Then after like 2 min of driving. Nothing.
    So on my way home I do a quick 2nd gear pull and log it. Then another one just not up to redline. Come home and check both logs,,,, 0KR. Not one point of KR anywhere on either log.
    I thought shell gas was good and have heard other people praise it. I'm actually thinking that maybe the particular station I get it from is just shit. Sucks for me because there's only 1 petro in town that sells 94 and it's on the other side of town.
    2005 Mazda 3 hatch

2006 MS6

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Como For This Useful Post:

ricola (04-04-2017)

Ride
    2011 Acura RDX
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    35 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Goodbye Shell V power. I thought we could've had something special.

Quote Originally Posted by Como View Post
    Decided to tune for 91 as it's just easier to come by. I knew shell's 91 was the best to go with as they still claim there's no ethanol in it. I was running since I got my MS6. Did one long trip and was very surprised, like very surprised I was able to match my Mazda 3's fuel economy on a long highway trip. This car weighs around 500lbs more and have the drag of the awd system.
    Anyway, shell was good to me. Ran well on my 91 tune (just a tweaked OTS map). I wanted to clean up my afr's as I saw they weren't as steady as I'd like. So I decided to just do a maf cal and check to see what my ltft was doing. They were out very slightly. So I made the corrections. Then I went to go do my WOT checks to check OL operation and adjust for OL. I had gotten gas the day before doing some logs, at shell.
    Knock all over. Every one of my logs I did. Knock a low rpm. Then tons at around 5k. Was registering over 5. Ugh! (Wasn't a 'lean' condition to provoke it)
    So after seeing those I went in and started reducing timing in those areas. Thought that might help at least enough to get a decent log. But even just gently driving around I'm getting knock up to about 3.
    So today I decided to go to petro and get some 94. I've used 94 once or twice in past but saw that fuel consumption went up. I had to see if this would remove/reduce my knock. So as I'm leaving gas station I'm just watching KR on my AP going about 15km/h I hit over 1KR. Then after like 2 min of driving. Nothing.
    So on my way home I do a quick 2nd gear pull and log it. Then another one just not up to redline. Come home and check both logs,,,, 0KR. Not one point of KR anywhere on either log.
    I thought shell gas was good and have heard other people praise it. I'm actually thinking that maybe the particular station I get it from is just shit. Sucks for me because there's only 1 petro in town that sells 94 and it's on the other side of town.
    Yup. 94 is on the other side of town for me as well. Worth the drive though

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nothing wrong with using some ethonal...Max 10% better knock protection, even if I'm running my 91 tune (winter) I use petro, and summer I run petro 94 and love it, fuel economy certificate won't be as great with the ethonal in the fuel but who cares, and at <10% in Canada you don't get as gummed up with your hpfp as the guys in the states who truly use 10% in their fuels. Not to mention with that ethonal if you're tuned for it you will make more power. Here I thought the way to go was 94 petro it tuned and accessable. If you're not tuning for 94 I'd say just use petro 91...I'd be curious to see what Esso 93 does they're low on the ethonal list as well. I know guys in BC tune for 91 with ethonal over the sometimes 93 without. We've also just switched from winter to summer gas so maybe you got some shitty gas as you already stated

Ride
    Toyota Highlander Limited
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.pure-gas.org/

Maybe useful.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk
    2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3, CWP
    Forged internals + GTX2871r
    // Build thread // Instagram: @sleepy.ms3

Ride
    ZX-6R
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My car does best with Costco gas. I use to use Shell 91 but the past year has caused a ton of knock, and petro 94 is just so expensive. My tune that I ran with petro 94 has no increase in knock on Costco gas, and best part is that Costco gas is 20-30 cents cheaper a litre.
    2011 MAZDASPEED3 Hypnotic Tuned - Rob
    CPE HPFP - CPE Catted Downpipe - CPE Catback Exhaust - 3" ETS TMIC - Cobb RMM - AEM Boost Gauge & Vent Pod - CANBus Triple - Corksport BPV - Corksport hood strut - Corksport RSB - Corksport Short Shifter - HTP 3.5" Intake - Damond TMM - Damond Vented CC - Vented Oil Cap - Tokay v2 Seals - GTX3067R - Damond PCV Plate - Built Engine (Manley Rods, 88mm Supertech 4032 Piston) -

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Polish_Eagle View Post
    My car does best with Costco gas. I use to use Shell 91 but the past year has caused a ton of knock, and petro 94 is just so expensive. My tune that I ran with petro 94 has no increase in knock on Costco gas, and best part is that Costco gas is 20-30 cents cheaper a litre.
    Interesting.
    Was thinking about trying their gas. Question is, do you need a Costco card to buy their gas?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Como View Post
    Interesting.
    Was thinking about trying their gas. Question is, do you need a Costco card to buy their gas?
    Yes

9. The Following User Says Thank You to AwAfrican For This Useful Post:

shift8 (04-08-2017)

Ride
    ZX-6R
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, you need to be a member.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Petro Canada has 94 everywhere, don't know whatya all talking about

Thanks
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is false. I can name 2 that are fairly close to me which do not.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MikeTheCheek View Post
    This is false. I can name 2 that are fairly close to me which do not.
    I think you need this to make your point:

14. The Following User Says Thank You to pwdunmore For This Useful Post:

MikeTheCheek (04-10-2017)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run Canadian tire 91... never have severe knock... also don't really beat on my car much

Ride
    Speed or S/O's 3 2.Slow
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    267 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been running 91 from Petro since I got the car at 141k, currently 196k, every once in a while, I spring for 94, cause they button is just right there, and it's normally only 2-3c more a litre, but I have no noticeable knock at all. I can hear my timing chain like crazy with the engine mount I have on there, but that's the only weird noise I hear from the engine. Car running good, consuming oil (which I've narrowed down to turbo seals blowing it out the exhaust pipe)

Love the car though. And always Petro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Current: 2012 Mazdaspeed3 Tech CWP
    Mods to Date:
    Custom Halo headlights, DRL delete, Kenwood DNX890HD, Kenwood KFC-3009 x2(12"), Kenwood 1800Watt Amp, LED interior lights, LED switchbacks, LED fogs.
    Previous:2012 Mazda 3 Sky-GS in CWP, 2012 16W Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2010 CWP Mazda 3 GT Hatchback SOLD, 2009 Metropolitan Grey Mazda 3 GT Hatch SOLD, 2007 Carbon Grey Mica Mazda 3 GS Hatch SOLD

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run Costco when I can, strictly because of price . Depending where you live most stations will be ethanol free. I'm in Wasaga beach and all the Esso's in my area and north into Muskoka are ethanol free. Most Petros north of me are also ethanol free.
    1994 Honda Accord exr - dead
    2003 Ford Focus zx5 turned SVT - sold
    2003 Vw Golf City - sold
    2004 Vw Jetta tdi - sold
    2015 Vw Tiguan
    2011 MS3