Thread: 2012 Mazda 3 GS-Skyactiv - passenger door rattle

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2012 Mazda 3 GS-Skyactiv - passenger door rattle

I have read several forums looking for a solution to this problem. When driving faster than 60 km/h the rattling begins. Sometimes it doesn't start until 80km/h and a few rare times it doesn't rattle at all. I know it isn't because of the radio bass vibrations because it does it whether I have music or not. I have also taped the passenger door latch and checked the bolt for looseness, therefore I have ruled out the U shaped latch that holds the door closed. This rattle is going to be the death of me if I don't get it figured out! I just bought the car in October and the dealership I bought it from (Honda) has been completely useless with any other issues I had brought to their attention (brake noise the day I drove it off the lot, and the clutch pedal makes a high pitched 'bed spring squeek' when depressed) so I am not bringing it back there. I haven't yet taken the door panel off and drove around to check if I can SEE what the issue is. And also 99.9% of the time I am driving alone in the car and don't have the help I need to pinpoint where the noise is coming from. Anyone else have this issue and have a fix for it? Or have any helpful info so I can rule more things out?

As for the brake issue and squeeky clutch, those I will attack shortly. Brakes I need to replace completely (rotors and pads) but I need to find a reliable supplier who has rotors that are at least cross hatched, I dont want to waste my time with OEM rotors only to have the issue arise again (we think it is caused by dirt carving grooves into the rotor and pad creating a squeek/peeping noise as the car drives which gets faster as the car accelerates). So those are my only issues with the car. Any help would be extremely appreciated. I feel like I made a mistake buying this car because it has had these three issues from day one... Other that that I love this car.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2012 Mazda 3 GS-Skyactiv - passenger door rattle

Not sure about the rattle, but I have the same squeak with my clutch on the same car... I was told its some kind of linkage that moves when you press in the clutch and that it needs to be lubricated (this is if it squeaks when the car is off as well as on). Haven't tried fixing it I just learned to live for now until I have the time to fix it

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have lubed that many times and it has yet to stop the squeaking. If you're looking for the linkage, reach your arm directly down the left side of where the air filter is. You should feel a square/rectangular rubber boot. It pulls out and in there you can feel the joints. It's really hard to get any kind of spray can down there with your arm in the way, so what I did originally was fill my hand full of white lithium grease and rub it all in the joints. It helps to have someone depress the clutch to help you find everything but once you know where it is, you can try to get it to quit.

I took my passenger side door all apart this weekend three times trying different things to kill the rattle. As of now I'm quite defeated. I'm pretty sure it is the rod connecting the door handle on the outside of the door. It's a b*tch to get at!!
    Ordered brakes from Max Brakes as recommended on here, should get them in a week or two.

Let me know if you fix your squeaky clutch! I sprayed it this weekend with some more lube and it had no effect.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Stephmitch For This Useful Post:

Milan96 (04-16-2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephmitch View Post
    I have lubed that many times and it has yet to stop the squeaking. If you're looking for the linkage, reach your arm directly down the left side of where the air filter is. You should feel a square/rectangular rubber boot. It pulls out and in there you can feel the joints. It's really hard to get any kind of spray can down there with your arm in the way, so what I did originally was fill my hand full of white lithium grease and rub it all in the joints. It helps to have someone depress the clutch to help you find everything but once you know where it is, you can try to get it to quit.

I took my passenger side door all apart this weekend three times trying different things to kill the rattle. As of now I'm quite defeated. I'm pretty sure it is the rod connecting the door handle on the outside of the door. It's a b*tch to get at!!
    Ordered brakes from Max Brakes as recommended on here, should get them in a week or two.

Let me know if you fix your squeaky clutch! I sprayed it this weekend with some more lube and it had no effect.
    Thanks for the advice. Based on your description, it may be easier to remove the air box to lube that linkage, no? Also, did you isolate the squeak and confirm its from that linkage?

With regards to your door, I had a rattle in my old car door and what I did was took the panel off, then had someone else drive the car while I felt around for the rattle and listened to where it was coming from. Turns out for me it was my aftermarket speaker that had not been sitting properly, but your cause will be different. Good luck
    Last edited by Milan96; 04-16-2017 at 09:37 PM.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding the squeaky clutch, you need to lube the point where the slave cylinder meets the clutch yoke (copper or nickel anti seize is best). Also, the yoke pivot point needs to be lubed with anti seize or moly. The only successful way to get at it is to remove the shield underneath the car, yank the yoke boot and stick it in from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Milan96 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. Based on your description, it may be easier to remove the air box to lube that linkage, no? Also, did you isolate the squeak and confirm its from that linkage?

With regards to your door, I had a rattle in my old car door and what I did was took the panel off, then had someone else drive the car while I felt around for the rattle and listened to where it was coming from. Turns out for me it was my aftermarket speaker that had not been sitting properly, but your cause will be different. Good luck

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I will try that next time I have it on a hoist! Thank you!

That's a good idea Milan96, if I can get someone to drive it around with me I will try that when I have the energy again. I feel so defeated. The worst part is I can hear it even with the music super loud attempting to drown it out. My sorrows are not over yet but one day I will vanquish these noises x.x if not you'll see this whip for sale on Kijiji lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have learned to live with both. In winter time the card slot on the driver side also creak.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I get it figured out I will help you my friend, I don't want to give up yet!! Cars are not meant to sound like haunted houses