Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Tire inflation question

  1. #1
    Noob
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Tire inflation question

    Hey all,

    I have a 2013 mazda 3 GS SKY. Originally, the tires that came with it was the 205 55 16 and the placard on the door says to inflate to 36 PSI.

    However, I know run 215 45 17 on the car. Should I inflate them to the same PSI? I initially did but I saw in the manual that the 18 inch tires were supposed to be set at 32PSI, so now I'm not sure.

    Thoughts?
    Thanks!!
    dave

  2. #2
    Member sarujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    1,266
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 76 Times in 58 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Tire inflation question

    You would want to run the 17's at a lower PSI since they are lower profile than the 16's. My 2010 placard for the same 16" size shows 35 PSI and the owner's manual for 205/50/17 @ 32PSI. I personally set mine about 33 to 33.5


    2010 Sport 2.0L 5MT

  3. #3
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Age
    42
    Posts
    186
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Tire inflation question

    You'll have to do some math. Click here the link and download this inflation guide. https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&sourc...zIXqjF_iK-jRnw

    Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to kenghk For This Useful Post:

    SonicBoy (08-17-2017)

  5. #4
    Noob SkyActivR's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    32
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 3 Times in 1 Post
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Tire inflation question

    Typically do we go by the door or by the manufacture of the tire?

  6. #5
    Newbie
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Age
    42
    Posts
    186
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Tire inflation question

    Quote Originally Posted by SkyActivR View Post
    Typically do we go by the door or by the manufacture of the tire?
    Neither is as accurate as using the load index. I know it can be time consuming to do it for all customers but it is the correct way.

    Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

  7. #6
    Noob Gost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Maple
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Tire inflation question

    My personal experience working on cars, I always follow the tire manufacturer specifications because if you think about it, the tire companies make the tires so they know what the max. pressure should be at. Now I've never had a problem with keeping my tires at 50 psi when they call for 50 or 51 however, some people think it's too rough so 40 psi is a good average pressure to prevent unnecessary tire wear.

  8. #7
    Noob Clifford's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    Brantford
    Age
    49
    Ride
    Buick Enclave
    Posts
    29
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Tire inflation question

    Quote Originally Posted by Gost View Post
    My personal experience working on cars, I always follow the tire manufacturer specifications because if you think about it, the tire companies make the tires so they know what the max. pressure should be at. Now I've never had a problem with keeping my tires at 50 psi when they call for 50 or 51 however, some people think it's too rough so 40 psi is a good average pressure to prevent unnecessary tire wear.
    Not sure if trolling or just misinformed

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clifford For This Useful Post:

    MikeTheCheek (08-17-2017)

  10. #8
    Jr Member MikeTheCheek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Mississauga
    Posts
    365
    Thanks
    133
    Thanked 127 Times in 85 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Tire inflation question

    Quote Originally Posted by Gost View Post
    My personal experience working on cars, I always follow the tire manufacturer specifications because if you think about it, the tire companies make the tires so they know what the max. pressure should be at. Now I've never had a problem with keeping my tires at 50 psi when they call for 50 or 51 however, some people think it's too rough so 40 psi is a good average pressure to prevent unnecessary tire wear.
    Do not follow this advice.

    The pressure inside your tire will increase as it gets warmer. If you keep your tire pressure right at the max rating and the outside temperature raises 5-10 degrees, your tires will be much higher than the max rating. After a long drive on a very hot day I saw my tire pressure go from 35- 42.

    Over inflating/under inflating your tires can also lead to improper and premature wear.

  11. #9
    Sr Member Default User's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    9,217
    Thanks
    1,163
    Thanked 1,673 Times in 854 Posts
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Tire inflation question

    In 25+ years of owning a vehicle - I've always went by the car specs located in the door jam.

  12. #10
    Sponsor - GTA Retrofits
    Hyperion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,813
    Thanks
    225
    Thanked 1,077 Times in 533 Posts
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Tire inflation question

    Quote Originally Posted by Gost View Post
    My personal experience working on cars, I always follow the tire manufacturer specifications because if you think about it, the tire companies make the tires so they know what the max. pressure should be at. Now I've never had a problem with keeping my tires at 50 psi when they call for 50 or 51 however, some people think it's too rough so 40 psi is a good average pressure to prevent unnecessary tire wear.
    That's MAX pressure dummy. You're literally a driving blowout waiting to happen.

    Op, anything between 32-36 is going to be fine. You might get an extra 20 km to a tank with 36, 32 might help with a corner. Both negligible.
    Set them anywhere in that range, keep them all within one of each other and drive happy.

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Modifications? I've forgotten more than I remember. Click here for the list.

  13. #11
    Noob Gost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Maple
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Tire inflation question

    Quote Originally Posted by Clifford View Post
    Not sure if trolling or just misinformed
    Trolling. I don't inflate to 50 because it's terrible. I do go to 40 psi.

  14. #12
    Jr Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario
    Posts
    316
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Tire inflation question

    The mazda service manual specs 34 PSI on 225/40/18 and 32 psi for 205/50/17 (gen 2). Anywhere in between there should be fine.

  15. #13
    Sr Member Noisy Crow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brampton
    Posts
    4,114
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 37 Times in 29 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Tire inflation question

    Quote Originally Posted by Gost View Post
    Trolling. I don't inflate to 50 because it's terrible. I do go to 40 psi.
    Which will wear your tires out faster, increase braking distance, and decrease cornering stability.
    http://www.wheels.ca/news/over-infla...re-a-bad-idea/
    2008 Carbon Gray GT Sedan 5 Speed

  16. #14
    Member sarujo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    GTA
    Posts
    1,266
    Thanks
    67
    Thanked 76 Times in 58 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Tire inflation question

    Quote Originally Posted by morganc View Post
    The mazda service manual specs 34 PSI on 225/40/18 and 32 psi for 205/50/17 (gen 2). Anywhere in between there should be fine.
    And my gen2 driver's door sticker states 35 PSI for 205/55/16

  17. #15
    Noob Gost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Maple
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Tire inflation question

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyperion View Post
    That's MAX pressure dummy. You're literally a driving blowout waiting to happen.

    Op, anything between 32-36 is going to be fine. You might get an extra 20 km to a tank with 36, 32 might help with a corner. Both negligible.
    Set them anywhere in that range, keep them all within one of each other and drive happy.

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
    Yeah I realize that. Sorry I didn't mean for you take me seriously on that...

  18. #16
    Noob Gost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Maple
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Tire inflation question

    Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Crow View Post
    Which will wear your tires out faster, increase braking distance, and decrease cornering stability.
    http://www.wheels.ca/news/over-infla...re-a-bad-idea/
    Yeah I didn't realize everybody on this forum was a professional racer that pushes their tires to the limit. And that they'll ever notice a difference between 32 psi and 36 psi and etc. I

  19. #17
    Noob Gost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Maple
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Tire inflation question

    Quote Originally Posted by Default User View Post
    In 25+ years of owning a vehicle - I've always went by the car specs located in the door jam.
    It's funny you mention that because if yoube ever looked at the side of the door on pickup trucks 1/2 ton or 1 ton, they all say 35 psi as well.. so basically you're telling me every car on the road weighs the same and you can have completely different tires on every vehicle with different max pressures, but they should all be 35 psi? I know someone who had an accent with 35 psi max pressure tires. Guess what the door said.. 35 psi. And he kept it on 44 psi, but in the 8 years he's owned it, he never blew a tire or changed them.

  20. #18
    Noob Gost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Maple
    Posts
    26
    Thanks
    2
    Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Tire inflation question

    Not trying to have an argument with everybody on here shot what tire pressure to keep it at and I'm not gonna sit here and tell you guys you're wrong as confident as you guys tell me that, but you can follow whatever you want. I'm just stating things that are on other vehicles besides mazdas. Everybody has their own opinion.

  21. #19
    Sr Member Noisy Crow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Brampton
    Posts
    4,114
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 37 Times in 29 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Tire inflation question

    And some people have science.

  22. #20
    Sponsor - GTA Retrofits
    Hyperion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Richmond Hill
    Age
    27
    Posts
    5,813
    Thanks
    225
    Thanked 1,077 Times in 533 Posts
    Mentioned
    248 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default Re: Tire inflation question

    Quote Originally Posted by Gost View Post
    It's funny you mention that because if yoube ever looked at the side of the door on pickup trucks 1/2 ton or 1 ton, they all say 35 psi as well.. so basically you're telling me every car on the road weighs the same and you can have completely different tires on every vehicle with different max pressures, but they should all be 35 psi? I know someone who had an accent with 35 psi max pressure tires. Guess what the door said.. 35 psi. And he kept it on 44 psi, but in the 8 years he's owned it, he never blew a tire or changed them.
    Tires meant for trucks have different rubber compound than tires meant for a little civic/mazda.
    This billion dollar industry isn't wasting money putting more rubber in a tire that it doesn't need to.

    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Tire Inflation FAQ
    By midnightfxgt in forum Wheels & Tires
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 04-12-2017, 08:25 AM
  2. Tire Question
    By $peed in forum Mazda3 General Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-25-2014, 11:44 AM
  3. Tire Question
    By VCM in forum Wheels & Tires
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-06-2011, 12:58 PM
  4. Question Regarding Tire Inflation Sensor
    By sauga_kid in forum Wheels & Tires
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-28-2007, 04:38 PM
  5. tire question
    By astatik in forum Wheels & Tires
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-20-2007, 02:21 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •