Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red light camera

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Red light camera

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone here got a similar infraction and disputed it? Just wanted to know what steps I can take. Also, if I dispute the charge and was proven guilty, will the fine increase or decrease? Thanks guys. ✌

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Red light camera

Quote Originally Posted by Kaelito View Post
    Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone here got a similar infraction and disputed it? Just wanted to know what steps I can take. Also, if I dispute the charge and was proven guilty, will the fine increase or decrease? Thanks guys. ✌
    You can dispute any ticket, that is your right. With a red light ticket I don't see how you can win because you were in the intersection when the light went red. Unless the camera malfunctioned ( good luck proving that) or there was some obstruction that caused you to be in the intersection, I don't see how it's possible. If you dispute and lose it won't raise .

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Teh_baje View Post
    You can dispute any ticket, that is your right. With a red light ticket I don't see how you can win because you were in the intersection when the light went red. Unless the camera malfunctioned ( good luck proving that) or there was some obstruction that caused you to be in the intersection, I don't see how it's possible. If you dispute and lose it won't raise .

Thanks for the input. Would it make sense to dispute this or just pay the fine?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends, if you're close to your insurance renewal I would dispute it which would push it back an average of 3 months. Infact that's what I did with my speeding ticket. I was 2 months away from renewal I disputed it and did my renewal got the premium drop and I had a year to prepare for my rate increase. Which didn't happen because my insurer doesn't check every year but some do. Regardless you will have to pay it's up to you when you want to do it and you may not be affected if your provider doesn't check annually.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends, if you're close to your insurance renewal I would dispute it which would push it back an average of 3 months. Infact that's what I did with my speeding ticket. I was 2 months away from renewal I disputed it and did my renewal got the premium drop and I had a year to prepare for my rate increase. Which didn't happen because my insurer doesn't check every year but some do. Regardless you will have to pay it's up to you when you want to do it and you may not be affected if your provider doesn't check annually.

After doing a little digging it actually won't affect your premiums or record. As it's registered to the plate basically. So treat it like an expensive parking ticket.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Link to look at https://www.insurancehotline.com/quo...april-14-2010/

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got a red light ticket years ago when the max fine was $150. Fight every ticket. Long story short I got it reduced to $50. No points as the camera cant prove who was driving. It should say somewhere on the ticket how long the light was red for. For me it was just ONE second red! Tell the Justice of The Peace (as I quote Young Drivers) it was not safe to stop and had to proceed through.

Oh and the red light cameras record you speed FYI.

Professor
    Ride
    1992 FD3S
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After doing a little digging it actually won't affect your premiums or record. As it's registered to the plate basically. So treat it like an expensive parking ticket.

This.

Red light camera tickets are issued by municipalities, not by the police. They are of the same level of infraction as parking tickets.

-Geoff

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Johns 08 3 GT View Post
    I got a red light ticket years ago when the max fine was $150. Fight every ticket. Long story short I got it reduced to $50. No points as the camera cant prove who was driving. It should say somewhere on the ticket how long the light was red for. For me it was just ONE second red! Tell the Justice of The Peace (as I quote Young Drivers) it was not safe to stop and had to proceed through.

Oh and the red light cameras record you speed FYI.
    Yeah. The speed recorded was 30kph and the time that lapsed was 1.3 seconds. Honestly I don't think I have a case. Just hoping to get the fine reduced somehow Coz it's $300! 😂

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CloudPump View Post
    This.

Red light camera tickets are issued by municipalities, not by the police. They are of the same level of infraction as parking tickets.

-Geoff
    Thanks. But it's a VERY expensive ticket at that. 😳

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure about the red light camera ticket, but for speeding tickets, or even parking tickets, you can reduce the fine just by showing up and pleading guilty.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gta_driver View Post
    I'm not sure about the red light camera ticket, but for speeding tickets, or even parking tickets, you can reduce the fine just by showing up and pleading guilty.
    That's what the guy from the municipal in Markham told me. So will just have to wait for a month or so for the appointment

Jr Member
    Ride
    2010 M3 GX Sport
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't sound like you've learned anything from this .... The red light camera only triggers if you ENTER the intersection AFTER the light has already turned red. In the GTA there is a long yellow before it turns red which gives you plenty of time to stop before it turns red.

STOP RUNNING RED LIGHTS !!

I was almost T-boned by a car running a red light. He missed my front end by less than 3 feet. It's very dangerous and has to stop. I'm always amazed that when I enter the intersection on a yellow that 2 or 3 cars follow me through. That means they all entered on red.

If you enter after the light turns red that means that the light going the other way is already green. Even 1 second can have the full length of a car enter the intersection from the other direction.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mazdaagain For This Useful Post:

m_bisson (05-18-2017)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,031 Times in 700 Posts
    Mentioned
    199 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Pay it.

I sit on my horn at drivers like you when I'm proceeding through my green light.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kiewan For This Useful Post:

loki (05-19-2017),m_bisson (05-18-2017)

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaagain View Post
    Doesn't sound like you've learned anything from this .... The red light camera only triggers if you ENTER the intersection AFTER the light has already turned red. In the GTA there is a long yellow before it turns red which gives you plenty of time to stop before it turns red.

I was almost T-boned by a car running a red light. He missed my front end by less than 3 feet. It's very dangerous and has to stop. I'm always amazed that when I enter the intersection on a yellow that 2 or 3 cars follow me through. That means they all entered on red.

If you enter after the light turns red that means that the light going the other way is already green. Even 1 second can have the full length of a car enter the intersection from the other direction.
    Wrong. In the GTA, there is a delay after the light turns red, before the other light turns green. It is usually 2 seconds.

He got a fine, the fine is quite steep, and he's hoping for a reduction. How do you deduct that lesson has not been learned? Pretty sure he will not be looking for opportunities to earn another red light camera fine.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to gta_driver For This Useful Post:

Reddie1337 (05-22-2017)

Ride
    RAM 1500 - 2017
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can't stop in time for a red, you're speeding...

All yellow lights in Ontario are timed according to the road speed limit. Look it up in the HTA if you want the timings.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaagain View Post

Obviously I've learned my lesson. And I wouldn't have turned RIGHT at the intersection without analyzing if I was risking my safety and other's. But yeah, lessened learned on my part

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kiewan View Post
    Pay it.

I sit on my horn at drivers like you when I'm proceeding through my green light.
    I do intend to pay as I acknowledge I'm guilty of it. All I'm asking was if there was a way to lower the fine as $300 is pretty steep.

Ride
    RAM 1500 - 2017
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's the point of the fine. It's expensive so that people are deterred from running red lights. If you can't afford to break the law, stop breaking it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Take it to first attendance & they usually drop it

Thanks
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Obviously I've learned my lesson. And I wouldn't have turned RIGHT at the intersection without analyzing if I was risking my safety and other's. But yeah, lessened learned on my part
    so you turned right at the light and got the ticket or went straight through?

i had one of those before. When i went to court to try and lower it. The woman told me I would then get a ticket of turning right without stopping and that would go on my record since i would have to admit i was driving. This was in Ottawa and maybe i got a woman that didn't care at all or was in a bad mood that day haha.
    2004 mazda 3 GT Sedan Indigo Blue.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,154 Times in 3,173 Posts
    Mentioned
    881 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gabbygenier View Post
    so you turned right at the light and got the ticket or went straight through?

i had one of those before. When i went to court to try and lower it. The woman told me I would then get a ticket of turning right without stopping and that would go on my record since i would have to admit i was driving. This was in Ottawa and maybe i got a woman that didn't care at all or was in a bad mood that day haha.
    She owned you. Checkmate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do intend to pay as I acknowledge I'm guilty of it. All I'm asking was if there was a way to lower the fine as $300 is pretty steep.
    If you take the early resolution route, they will reduce the ticket to the minimum of 200.00 plus fees 40.00. The crown cannot request for anything lower. You can then ask the judge for a lessor amount. They may agree to a lower amount based on your sob story. The good thing is if the judge doesn't like your story they will still agree with the crown and reduce it to 200.00

If you fight it you will lose, unless your car or plates were stolen. The judge then has the option to increase the fine to 1000.00

Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigguy1 View Post
    If you take the early resolution route, they will reduce the ticket to the minimum of 200.00 plus fees 40.00. The crown cannot request for anything lower. You can then ask the judge for a lessor amount. They may agree to a lower amount based on your sob story. The good thing is if the judge doesn't like your story they will still agree with the crown and reduce it to 200.00

If you fight it you will lose, unless your car or plates were stolen. The judge then has the option to increase the fine to 1000.00
    Anything lower than 300 would be better as long as the difference is significant. Lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the rear tires are behind the solid line before the intersection when the light turns red - that means you could've stopped in time "safely"

Also - There's a 3 second delay from when light turns red / traffic flow turns green.

Right turn on red light?
    I would fight it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast