Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Wheel Upsizing

Hello guys!

I'm a new member in the forums and a new car buyer. I recently hopped on a '17 Mazda 3 Sports and I really fell in love with it. The only gripe I have without it is that I choose to stick with the 16" wheel when I they were giving up the upsizing to 18" for FREE. But now I've just decided to make my current one for winters, and shop for new and bigger set for summer tires.

With that being said, I was looking into information regarding wheel specs for the car and I've found out that I'm currently running a 205/60R16 tire profile according to both
    https://tiresize.com/tires/Mazda/Maz.../4-Door-Sport/
    AND
    http://www.1010tires.com/Tires/2017/...R16-91H/164244

Those being said, I'm looking to go up to 245/40R18, but I'm not sure of that tire profile is too wide that it may rub in chassis of the car. I'm also still not sure what the wheel offset my currently has that I don't want to look for a set that may have too little that it may rub on my calipers, or too much that it sticks out the fender.

If anyone has done wheel upsizing on a '17 Mazda 3 Sports, I would really appreciate some advice and inputs.

Thank you in advance guys!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Wheel Upsizing

A mechanic I know looked at my 2015 Mazda 3 and said its possible to run a 245/40/18 tire on stock ride height. There is a member on Mazda3 Revolution who has a gen 2 and he runs 265s, lowered, and heavy body work to accommodate those tires.
    I run 235/40/18 on an 8" wide wheel and stock ride height. I MIGHT lower the car, but I'm sitting on the fence.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure I heard that the '15 and the '17 models belong in the same generation. I'm wondering if may be a possibility that they share the same wheel spec/dimension? I've received feedbacks saying that 245 is pretty wide, and I'm trying to be really cautious about that. ahaha

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

use this when trying to figure out tire sizes http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator hope this helps, ive used it in the past.
    2006 Mazda 3 GT (GFX) - Artric White - 5 speed A/T

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's important to mind the offset on the wheel you're getting if you decide to go with 245's.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
    Beauty is in the eyes of the beer holder

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's what I'm trying to figure out too! People have told me that the information about this is on the manual, but all that is there to it is wheel/tire spec. I'm hesitating to call Mazda services here in my town because they might throw me the same answer, and that's just makes me itch even more to take one of the tire out and check the details on the back of the wheel.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you consult the manual and/or dealer you'll only get information about OEM wheel specs. I'm guessing here you want aftermarket 18" wheels for your car. A more common set up would be 18x8, between 42-45mm offset. Wheel clearance for your calipers shouldn't be an issue-should clear no problem.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by O1Kanoby View Post
    use this when trying to figure out tire sizes http://www.1010tires.com/Tools/Tire-Size-Calculator hope this helps, ive used it in the past.
    This works only for overall wheel height when upsizing/downsizing (for instance - staying within the 3% variance in speedometer calibration)

It does not mean the tire/wheel will fit without modifications. Wheel width and offset will play a huge factor in fitment.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by annaheim View Post
    That's what I'm trying to figure out too! People have told me that the information about this is on the manual, but all that is there to it is wheel/tire spec. I'm hesitating to call Mazda services here in my town because they might throw me the same answer, and that's just makes me itch even more to take one of the tire out and check the details on the back of the wheel.
    IIRC - 15's use 16x6.5 ET 50

I would think 18x8 with 35-45 offsetwould work without rubbing